SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 21 October 2014, 00:28
FNG

I hate to resurrect this old ass thread, but I am curious about a particular place.

Has anyone heard anything about California Coast University? Seems they have all their accrediation, just curious if anyone has went through any of their on-line shit.
Old 21 October 2014, 05:18
Administrator

They are DETC accredited not regionally accredited.
Old 21 October 2014, 11:44
Authorized Personnel

As Silverbullet said they aren't regionally accredited so, if you plan to transfer credits elsewhere, you may want to exercise caution when considering this school.
Old 24 October 2014, 16:35

I have no direct experience with CCU, but did obtain my graduate degree online through another university that is nationally accredited through DETC as well. It wasn't the best choice - but fit my circumstances while being overseas, at a time when there weren't as many options for pursuing online degrees as there are today.

The BIG issue is what you want to do with your degree - NA (national accreditation) is fine in some instances, but won't cut it if you're planning on teaching where a degree from a university with RA (regional accreditation) is a requirement (there are some, but comparatively very few opportunities for someone with an NA degree to teach at a university adjunct level versus those with an RA degree from a solid institution).

Companies may or may not accept your NA degree depending on the nature of the business they're engaged in. NA degrees are legal, real degrees accredited by a U.S. Gov't agency - but typically lack any real weight if you're pursuing a career in academia or research-oriented career fields. Many firms will even specify that they want MBA graduates from top-tier schools - just for entry-level positions! Further, some jobs posted on USAJobs.gov will specify degree requirements from a REGIONALLY ACCREDITED institution, which is a huge bummer since Uncle Sam is saying your NA degree is good to go, then on the other hand saying "but not for this particular job..."

The best advice I heard many years too late was to "get the best education you can as early as you can". A degree from an Ivy League school can open many doors, not to mention that your classmates are the future movers and shakers in government and industry who can be invaluable contacts throughout one's career. Barring that, you should do reasonably well by pursuing the best education you can afford that fits your particular circumstances and ambitions.

However, one's formal education does not necessarily define who they are as a person or as a potential employee. It is one of the tools in the "toolkit" of skills, personality, abilities, and experience that an individual possesses. I've meet several highly-educated persons who were difficult to work with, incredibly self-centered and in some cases were just plain lunatics that couldn't operate in a team environment. Conversely, one has only to look at the capabilities of our military NCO system to realize that some of the most competent, able and intelligent persons don't necessarily possess a piece of paper from a fancy institution - yet are the most capable and effective people when it's needed the most!

The degree is a part of what you bring to the table, but it isn't everything. In some cases it's just a requirement, and the "box" can be checked by having one from any legitimate institution. It'll depend specifically on what you're goals are to be able to determine if CCU's program meets that need. Education can represent a significant investment in terms of both time and money - make sure you spend both well and don't have regrets from the choice you make!

Best of luck!

Jeff
Old 25 November 2014, 04:25
Not again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Lots of good overseas universities as well offering on-line degrees.

Currently doing mine through University of London, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), Center for Development and Environmental Policy (CeDEP). MSc in Environmental Management. Good program so far, but tough. Final exams consist of very tough essay questions, one must take at registered proctored exam center (just about every country has one). Good program if working and traveling around overseas as I am. CeDEP offers around 8 different degree programs and you take so many required courses, but you also get to choose many elective courses to focus your area of study where you want it to go.

Good school with world wide reputation and lots of networking if you are interested in studying subjects/majoring in such things as conservation, development, agriculture economics, economic polices, NGO management, environmental auditing and assessments, etc. Allows a lot of freedom in study time. Thesis required for MSc.

Price is very reasonable also.
Agreed with above.

Down in Oz you can use OPEN.EDU.AU which is purely designed for online learning. All courses are linked to a number of universities. International Students just need to pay up front.
Old 25 November 2014, 09:13
Hard to Kill

While we are resurrecting the dead, I went to the University of Phoenix, Online for my MS in Computer Information Systems.

Well worth the money and the degree has been invaluable over the last 14 years.
Old 25 November 2014, 09:34
Been There Done That

I got my job at an internet startup because of my military experience and that I'm a heavy geek. Been playing with languages on computers since my AppleII.
Company paid for my BS at University of Phoenix. I wanted to go to a brick and mortar but my ex was moving around with my daughter and I needed to move around, was also working 60+ hour weeks of startup fun.
I know many people dismiss their learning, however I found that it was pretty solid. Covered lots of the skills needed at startup tech companies and the breadth of topics, dba, web, java was great. Most companies/teams I work with change technologies and stacks faster than a university can keep up.
Most folks have a bad opinion of UOP, some careers depend on that opinion and it's important to be honest about it.

Company then paid for my masters at UNT (brick/mortar). The whole educational reimbursement plan is fucking awesome, best company benefit I've mined. HEAVILY weight companies willing to pay for your education, it's like free money for people who like to improve themselves..and most employees don't take advantage of it at all. Crazy.
Old 25 November 2014, 09:43
BTDT

gotta find a new home...
...Uncle Sam just put Henley-Putnam on the no-more TA list

Awesome.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 25 February 2015, 00:43
Been There Done That

Are any of you familiar with the University of Alabama at Birmingham? Im considering their online program to get a finance degree.
Old 25 February 2015, 11:40
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Are any of you familiar with the University of Alabama at Birmingham? Im considering their online program to get a finance degree.
Legit.

Highly-regarded medical center for the entire region (Level 1 Trauma Center).

I did undergrad at The University of Alabama (in Tuscaloosa). Worked as a county Paramedic while in school and often took critical patients direct to UAB.

All that being said, their football program just lost its funding so you'll have to piggy-back on the ol' Crimson Tide. But the UAB basketball program does ok sometimes.
Old 25 February 2015, 18:37
Find a way out

Quote:
Are any of you familiar with the University of Alabama at Birmingham? I'm considering their online program to get a finance degree.
Havok,

What's the ultimate goal of your would-be finance degree? I ask because choosing a school for a particular finance career can give you varying results.

-Michael Malice

Last edited by Steve83; 25 February 2015 at 19:00. Reason: adding context
Old 25 February 2015, 22:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Havok,

What's the ultimate goal of your would-be finance degree? I ask because choosing a school for a particular finance career can give you varying results.
I am interested in becoming a financial planner.
Old 25 February 2015, 23:14
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
gotta find a new home...
...Uncle Sam just put Henley-Putnam on the no-more TA list

Awesome.
What was the reason?
Old 26 February 2015, 00:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
You might want to look at Texas A&M, they have a program specifically for financial planning. I don't believe it's offered online though so I realize that might not be an option.

You'll find that a lot of finance degrees focus on corporate finance type stuff or solely on investments. Personally, the majority of planning-focused learning that I've done has been on my own and through internships. My school offers little in the way of true planning courses. Most financial planners learn through OJT training or the training courses provided by their employers such as Merrill, Edward Jones, or others.

Actually, have you looked into the Edward Jones FORCES program? It's a good option for transitioning military. Unless you'd rather go the RIA route and stay away from working for a B/D and dealing with Finra, which is understandable.
Old 26 February 2015, 00:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
Company then paid for my masters at UNT (brick/mortar). The whole educational reimbursement plan is fucking awesome, best company benefit I've mined. HEAVILY weight companies willing to pay for your education, it's like free money for people who like to improve themselves..and most employees don't take advantage of it at all. Crazy.
This.

Remember, $30K in tuition assistance is like $45K in income since it is not taxed.

I did the same thing. Best company benefit. Agreed. Especially early in your civilian career. I ETS'd in 89, went undergrad on the GI Bill 90-93, then company funded MBA 94-98 while working (brick and mortar). Totally helped out at a period in my life when money was tight.

Find an employer that still has one of these programs and don't look back. Wait to find your dream job until after you have maximized your marketability.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 26 February 2015, 01:52
BTDT

...accreditation problems.
Now, I cant even get Excelsior to accept the Sociology course that I took from Henley-Putnam.
Big waste of time and tuition money.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 26 February 2015, 02:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post
You might want to look at Texas A&M, they have a program specifically for financial planning. I don't believe it's offered online though so I realize that might not be an option.

You'll find that a lot of finance degrees focus on corporate finance type stuff or solely on investments. Personally, the majority of planning-focused learning that I've done has been on my own and through internships. My school offers little in the way of true planning courses. Most financial planners learn through OJT training or the training courses provided by their employers such as Merrill, Edward Jones, or others.

Actually, have you looked into the Edward Jones FORCES program? It's a good option for transitioning military. Unless you'd rather go the RIA route and stay away from working for a B/D and dealing with Finra, which is understandable.
I was not familiar with the Forces program. Do you know anyone who has done it? I'm definitely going to shoot them an email and see if I can get more information about it. Ive always been under the impression that s bachelors degree was required for this line of work.
Old 26 February 2015, 08:41
Administrator

Quote:
My suggestion would be to get a business degree and load up on finance classes.
Old 26 February 2015, 09:59
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I believe that University of Phoenix Online has some good offerings in that area.
Old 26 February 2015, 10:21
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
^^^ agree ^^^

Most of what you are going to study as a Finance major is corporate finance.. which has little application to financial planning.. (assuming youre talking about personal financial planning or helping small businesses with financial planning, etc..)..

If I were going the Financial Planner route.. I'd consider an accounting major.. or general business degree.. and then seek out the CFP certification (probably more important than the degree honestly in that particular career field.. it would be hard to get a job with a reputable firm without the degree.. but even harder to get a job without the certification)..

Our new posting rules