SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 10 February 2012, 09:31
Been There Done That

When applying for VA Disability Bennies

Just a heads up. When applying for disability bennies, i.e hearing, & PTSD. Make a copy of your CIB/CAB and submit it with the application. These combat service awards will "justify" or prove that you were exposed to combat. Anyone with either of these awards that is turned down for hearing loss w/o a VA hearing test should appeal it ASAP. The VA should at the minimum give a hearing test/word recognition test for all combat veterans.
Old 10 February 2012, 10:22
Confirmed User

I'm one of the dumbasses who never took the time to apply and even see if I rated any disability benefits when I retired almost 17 years ago. Throughout the years, one of my buddies, also retired, has brought it up numerous times and told me I need to do so. I've finally decided to get off my ass and initiate the process. No doubt in my mind that I suffered hearing loss. That's one of the things the docs used to talk about with me whenever I had take a physical while on active duty.

Do you think I've screwed myself by waiting so long? Or is it never too late? Besides DD-214's, I've got a complete copy of my SRB and Health Records from when I retired.
Old 10 February 2012, 12:47
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
I'm one of the dumbasses who never took the time to apply and even see if I rated any disability benefits when I retired almost 17 years ago. Throughout the years, one of my buddies, also retired, has brought it up numerous times and told me I need to do so. I've finally decided to get off my ass and initiate the process. No doubt in my mind that I suffered hearing loss. That's one of the things the docs used to talk about with me whenever I had take a physical while on active duty.

Do you think I've screwed myself by waiting so long? Or is it never too late? Besides DD-214's, I've got a complete copy of my SRB and Health Records from when I retired.
Its never too late.

Some good information here

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=105514
Old 10 February 2012, 11:03
Been There Done That

I got this off a VA site.

You can also show direct service connection if the medical records show a pattern of treatment for a medical condition that started in service and you continue to get treatment for it after you left service and to the present day. This is called continuity of symptomatology. An example of this, would be a veteran who while in service was treated for pain in his back and he continued to get treatment for back pain after service and is still presently being treated for the same back condition. It is important to note here that if your in-service medical condition is considered chronic you do not have to show "continuity of symptomatology" this is only required when your in service medical condition is not shown to be a chronic condition.

This sounds like your situation.
Old 10 February 2012, 13:54
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post

You can also show direct service connection if the medical records show a pattern of treatment for a medical condition that started in service and you continue to get treatment for it after you left service and to the present day. This is called continuity of symptomatology. An example of this, would be a veteran who while in service was treated for pain in his back and he continued to get treatment for back pain after service and is still presently being treated for the same back condition. It is important to note here that if your in-service medical condition is considered chronic you do not have to show "continuity of symptomatology" this is only required when your in service medical condition is not shown to be a chronic condition.

I've been having bouts with "chronic sinusitis" the past two years. I had numerous attacks while on AD and it is documented in my med record, which I cannot stress enough for guys getting out to make certified copies of. I'm in the process of filing due to the "continuity of symptomatology" you mentioned. I've got my AD med records and my case history here since I got out (9 years ago) to present day. They already approved my Tinnitis claim as it was easily verifiable due to my MOS and a combat deployment. I hope I'll get a rating for the sinusitis. Its a PITA and also causes problems when I sleep as well as snoring and my wife says I "pause my breath" alot when I sleep. Maybe "sleep apnea?" I don't know if it could be a direct correlation, but I think a trip to the GP might be in order before I submit my claim.
Old 10 February 2012, 14:57
Been There Done That

VA Claims Assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
I've been having bouts with "chronic sinusitis" the past two years. I had numerous attacks while on AD and it is documented in my med record, which I cannot stress enough for guys getting out to make certified copies of. I'm in the process of filing due to the "continuity of symptomatology" you mentioned. I've got my AD med records and my case history here since I got out (9 years ago) to present day. They already approved my Tinnitis claim as it was easily verifiable due to my MOS and a combat deployment. I hope I'll get a rating for the sinusitis. Its a PITA and also causes problems when I sleep as well as snoring and my wife says I "pause my breath" alot when I sleep. Maybe "sleep apnea?" I don't know if it could be a direct correlation, but I think a trip to the GP might be in order before I submit my claim.
Are you in the VA Medical network? If you are go to their Drs to check your problem out. I say this because the VA Comp people (the Raters who decide cases) "always" believe VA Drs. I would have the Sleep Apnea checked out. This conflict that we have been in has produced a lot of Sleep Apnea cases. I really do not why why but...

If you have any Service Officers around try using them. I find the VFW and DAV are better trained than the rest of them. I have been out of the network for a little while, but I still do some claims work for friends. I also have a girl who used to work for me now working at the VA (good inside info sometimes).

If you have any questions ask, I am sure one of us here in SOCNET can assist you!

Last edited by Stopp700; 10 February 2012 at 14:58. Reason: forgot to ask something
Old 10 February 2012, 16:46
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

If you are turned down for hearing loss do not neglect to put down Tinnitus - if you have it. My hearing got so bad while on AD that they sent me for hearing tests up in Landstuhl Germany at the Army hospital. About 15 years after I got out my hearing got progressively worse so I applied for VA benefits. I've also had Tinnitus since then as well. I was on the line on the hearing loss even after appeal.. but they approved me for the Tinnitus. I don't get much pension, but the medical benefits have been outstanding.

Tinnitus if found will give you a 10% disability. Hearing loss is another 10% for a total of 20%.
Old 10 February 2012, 21:15
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwabbie View Post
Tinnitus if found will give you a 10% disability. Hearing loss is another 10% for a total of 20%.
If you add up all of my percentages I am at 140%. I get paid at 80%. They have a "formula" for their calculations of the percentage of disability award. This includes the tinnitus (I was an 18C back in the day) and PTSD (based on award of CIB, combat decorations, been an OIF/OEF guy, I drink more than 2 drinks a day, hate my ex-wives, want to stab a pen in the eye of the VA nurse asking the questions, blah, blah, blah).

Never really understood the calculation. Never really cared actually to receive the 100% "unemployable" compensation.

Oddly enough, I still like to work.

Old 13 February 2012, 03:44
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
Its a PITA and also causes problems when I sleep as well as snoring and my wife says I "pause my breath" alot when I sleep. Maybe "sleep apnea?" I don't know if it could be a direct correlation, but I think a trip to the GP might be in order before I submit my claim.
The symptoms that you describe are consistent with sleep apnea. You absolutely need to go to the sleep clinic at the VA.

This is actually pretty important. They have devices which can help you sleep much, much better. You do not realize how vital that this is until you suddenly understand that you have not had a good night's rest for the past ten years. This happened to me.

Going to the sleep clinic probably added ten years to my life expectancy.
Old 13 February 2012, 07:47
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
The symptoms that you describe are consistent with sleep apnea. You absolutely need to go to the sleep clinic at the VA.

This is actually pretty important. They have devices which can help you sleep much, much better. You do not realize how vital that this is until you suddenly understand that you have not had a good night's rest for the past ten years. This happened to me.

Going to the sleep clinic probably added ten years to my life expectancy.
Will do Magician. Disability rating aside, at least I'll get the treatment I need for a serious condition I never really knew existed but affects quite a few soldiers for some reason. I always thought it was my sinuses but now realize the apnea could be what causes my sinuses to trigger. Whether it is related to my service is irrelavent at this point and up to the VA to decide. The important thing is I get treated. Thanks again.
Old 13 February 2012, 01:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post

In fact, the bar for getting an examination for a claimed disability has been lowered quite a bit in the last two years. When I started working for the VA about four years ago, a veteran had to have a chronic disability shown in his STRS, as well as medical evidence showing "continuity", and proof of the current disability. Now, if there was even a single mention of a claimed disability made in a veteran's STRS, an exam will be requested. It doesn't mean that service connection will be granted, but it makes it a lot easier. It's based on the opinion rendered by the examiner as to whether a disability is service related or not. For instance, I wrote an exam for a Vietnam veteran with severe degnerative disc disease in his lumbar spine, but the only mention in his STRS was of a lower back spasm that happened once in service in the late 60's. The VA doctor made the connection (nexus) between his back spasm and DDD and the veteran was granted compensation. Not every case is as simple, but many are.
Old 10 February 2012, 21:45
Authorized Personnel

For fuck's sake....look at THIS guy, he had everybody fooled. That's how EASY it is. Fucked up if you ask me.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=107752

That's why I have a problem with this thread. IF you deserve it, by all means claim it. If not, then shame on you.

Tips for "getting over" on the VA aren't cool.
Old 10 February 2012, 22:50
Authorized Personnel

If I see another thread like this I will jump in the same way, and probably destroy it.

There there ALOT of VA issues worthy of discussion in this thread. I'm all for it.

But tips on how to get over on VA disabilty won't fly with me. Ya'll can still work. Claim what you deserve.....nothing more, nothing less. And get a fucking job. Work if you can. Most members on this site do, despite their disabilities.
Old 3 May 2012, 21:49

I just retired and i am just waiting on my claim to be awarded. I have claimed hearing loss, chronic headaches, knee, neck pains and i am blind in one eye due to an IED in 2004. I know i can not get anything less than 30%.
Old 13 February 2012, 08:06
Whatever Sucks the Most

I believe that the threshold for the VA to cover your medical expenses at no cost to you is 50% disability.

I was rated at 50% disabled for many years. The VA sent me to an outside specialty practice where a sleep study was done at a cost to the VA of $7,000. Then the VA contracted with a firm to send a very nice girl to my home to deliver, set up and to instruct me in the use of a thousand dollar BIPAP machine. Again, no cost to me.

I used that BIPAP machine for ten years. It finally started to fail, so last year, when I was in the US for treatment for other disabilities, I went to the sleep clinic at a different VA and asked if I could get a new one.

A very nice lady poked around in my medical record, which is electronic, and noted the date that I was issued my original BIPAP and its settings. She then handed me a new unit, dialing in the settings for me. She even gave me spare masks, and those things cost a couple of hundred dollars if you buy them on the economy, which I have done in the past.

Again, no cost to me.

I am very grateful for the VA. They have hooked me up big-time.

You definitely need to make it a point to go.
Old 13 February 2012, 10:42
Authorized Personnel

Expednable supplies such as hearing aid batteries and such should be able to be reordered online or a phone call. That should also be true with CPAP masks, hoses, filters, and such. (I have one.) Those should be replaced/cleaned every few months. Magician - if your retired, TRICARE should also pick up some of the cost for what the VA won't.
Old 15 February 2012, 15:28
Been There Done That

Hey Doc. Good to have a person who is knowlegeable about current VA stuff. Lots of young soldiers here can use your help.
Old 15 February 2012, 17:09

Hey with after I went through with the VA .... my arsehole is still sore. But I won in the end. In the middle of my last notice of disagrement.

CFR. 38 I have the 1000+ page handbook on my desk and am versed in how to speakie VA Language. All I can say to the young guys you really have one shot to get it right, which is the first time. Documentation, Honesty and living in the truth about yourself and condition. You lie there you are done. Kinda like it is here.

If your rating stinks like shyte I strongly recommend getting a second opinion. You are your own best advocate.
Old 16 February 2012, 02:04

Just before I got out of the Marines I had no intentions of going to the VA to file a claim, but during my TAP classes a VA rep came and spoke and asked for questions. I told him that I had 2 purple hearts but, I was physically okay and did I need to go into the VA once I separated? He told me yes, definitely. During our break a Colonel who was in the class took me aside and said "listen you may have recovered from your wounds, but you are not okay, you are different than almost everyone of us in here." He went on to tell me that nowadays there are so many more programs and agencies to look into than just the VA, but also that from experience I need to go to the VA after I separate.
Eventually I went to the VA to file a claim and was 50% service connected, but only receiving 40% compensation. I learned that once you separate you have 1 and 1/2 years to file a claim AND receive back-pay. Any claims filed after that year and a half won't receive that back-pay. I did it after a little over a year and got a pretty decent sized check in the mail for the back-pay. I recently went back to the VA to file another claim for 4 teeth that I had knocked out by a rifle while in the Marines. It had been years since it had happened, but the doctor was able to find documentation about it and I am now waiting to hear back from the VA to find out what the compensation % will be. I hope any of this info helps.
Old 16 February 2012, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Raider View Post
Just before I got out of the Marines I had no intentions of going to the VA to file a claim, but during my TAP classes a VA rep came and spoke and asked for questions. I told him that I had 2 purple hearts but, I was physically okay and did I need to go into the VA once I separated? He told me yes, definitely. During our break a Colonel who was in the class took me aside and said "listen you may have recovered from your wounds, but you are not okay, you are different than almost everyone of us in here." He went on to tell me that nowadays there are so many more programs and agencies to look into than just the VA, but also that from experience I need to go to the VA after I separate.
Eventually I went to the VA to file a claim and was 50% service connected, but only receiving 40% compensation. I learned that once you separate you have 1 and 1/2 years to file a claim AND receive back-pay. Any claims filed after that year and a half won't receive that back-pay. I did it after a little over a year and got a pretty decent sized check in the mail for the back-pay. I recently went back to the VA to file another claim for 4 teeth that I had knocked out by a rifle while in the Marines. It had been years since it had happened, but the doctor was able to find documentation about it and I am now waiting to hear back from the VA to find out what the compensation % will be. I hope any of this info helps.
Concerning back pay... I have vets filing claims and get back paid from the date of rating to the date of claim .... Am I missing something here?

Our new posting rules