SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 24 September 2019, 10:07
Box's Avatar
Box Box is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 3,661
I always tended to clean them whenever they were dirty.

What is dirty?

Well, if a firearm formally resting in protective storage is brought forth into the light of day - loaded, discharged, reloaded again, and discharged further; that gun is now sullied. It has now been fouled to some degree with a soiling substance (such as carbon, grease, mud, dust, or grime).

I don't think that a gun in such a condition needs to be spotless, purified, sterilized, or immaculate - but it does need to be "cleaned"

If I take my .38 out in the yard just to murder a snake or a renegade possum - it may not get same amount of cleaning as a gun that just finished 4 hours worth of competitive shooting - but it will still get a quick wipe down before once again falling overboard in a deep sea fishing accident.

Detail stripping and white-gloving a firearm every time you pick it up doesn't really add any value unless your hobby is cleaning guns. Only cleaning it once a year if it needs it or not because "accuracy" doesn't do the gun any favors either.

I am sure if I was in the industry, selling cleaning rods, patches, and solvent that I'd be advocating for frequent and detailed cleaning to keep your family heirlooms in tip top condition - but I'm not so I dont.

Just my two cents.
__________________
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 24 September 2019, 10:55
The Fat Guy's Avatar
The Fat Guy The Fat Guy is online now
Hard to Kill
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Getting off the lawn.
Posts: 15,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I always tended to clean them whenever they were dirty.

What is dirty?

Well, if a firearm formally resting in protective storage is brought forth into the light of day - loaded, discharged, reloaded again, and discharged further; that gun is now sullied. It has now been fouled to some degree with a soiling substance (such as carbon, grease, mud, dust, or grime).

I don't think that a gun in such a condition needs to be spotless, purified, sterilized, or immaculate - but it does need to be "cleaned"

If I take my .38 out in the yard just to murder a snake or a renegade possum - it may not get same amount of cleaning as a gun that just finished 4 hours worth of competitive shooting - but it will still get a quick wipe down before once again falling overboard in a deep sea fishing accident.

Detail stripping and white-gloving a firearm every time you pick it up doesn't really add any value unless your hobby is cleaning guns. Only cleaning it once a year if it needs it or not because "accuracy" doesn't do the gun any favors either.

I am sure if I was in the industry, selling cleaning rods, patches, and solvent that I'd be advocating for frequent and detailed cleaning to keep your family heirlooms in tip top condition - but I'm not so I dont.

Just my two cents.
I think that most surprisingly is the fact that you need a .38 to kill a possum......
__________________
No one will take better care of us, than us: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 24 September 2019, 14:40
Gray Rhyno's Avatar
Gray Rhyno Gray Rhyno is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoVa
Posts: 10,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I think that most surprisingly is the fact that you need a .38 to kill a possum......
I can send my wife and her rock down if that would help...
__________________
"The most HSLD stuff ever taught was the basics. So-called 'advanced training' is often no more than the very fluid and expert application of those basic skills." - SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 24 September 2019, 15:33
Box's Avatar
Box Box is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 3,661
I dont really "need" a 38 to kill a possum. I guess I could use a machete or a shovel to assault the little bastards - but then I run the risk of getting accused of using "assault weapons" on a furry little critter. The .38 is "just" a revolver and revolvers are harmless.


I've even gone as far as dispatching one with a 45 caliber 230 grain hollow point from my Shield at a distance of about 5 meters- because

Well, because
...and for what its worth, that particular loading is WAAAAY overkill for a possum.
__________________
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 24 September 2019, 20:49
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 6,862
1. Pick possum up by tail.
2. Break neck with knife edge of hand in hard downward blow.
3. In lieu of hand...slam its mug against hard object, tree, light pole.
4. Discard possum in neighbor's trash can.

No firearm cleaning involved. Unless its just for shits and giggles or you're studying blood splatter patterns.
__________________
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody...

Karl Childers
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 24 September 2019, 20:51
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Shakin' the bush Boss
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,373
5. Make sure it's not playing possum.
(they're sneaky like that)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 24 September 2019, 20:58
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 6,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
5. Make sure it's not playing possum.
(they're sneaky like that)
Yeah, you could make that 5 but I should have indicated specifically the double tap in #2.
__________________
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody...

Karl Childers
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 24 September 2019, 21:00
Silverbullet's Avatar
Silverbullet Silverbullet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bunker
Posts: 15,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
5. Make sure it's not playing possum.
(they're sneaky like that)
I thought #5 for you hillbilly's was eat possum?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 24 September 2019, 21:22
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Shakin' the bush Boss
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,373
I've et it, but it's not my favorite.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 24 September 2019, 22:39
The Fat Guy's Avatar
The Fat Guy The Fat Guy is online now
Hard to Kill
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Getting off the lawn.
Posts: 15,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I dont really "need" a 38 to kill a possum. I guess I could use a machete or a shovel to assault the little bastards - but then I run the risk of getting accused of using "assault weapons" on a furry little critter. The .38 is "just" a revolver and revolvers are harmless.


I've even gone as far as dispatching one with a 45 caliber 230 grain hollow point from my Shield at a distance of about 5 meters- because

Well, because
...and for what its worth, that particular loading is WAAAAY overkill for a possum.
On several occasions I catch them on the porch eating the cat food. At this point its no taking my time and getting the AR in .22lr or the 22 Mag KelTec, its time to dance with the one that ya brung.

I shot one with my Kimber Ultra Carry in 45 .ACP with a Gold Dot Hollow Point that just blew him off the porch. Another time, I had to take a knee and hit him with the hand held light and shoot him with the Kimber .357 revolver (Cause they are safe and all) He didn't move after the initial flinch. He just sat there. When I walked to the shed, fetched the .22, I saw behind him I had shot his guts out his ass. He had been dispatched by the time I got back. Kinda reminded me of Sharky after posting his bail a few times after a night in jail.

But I digress, back to cleaning guns.
__________________
No one will take better care of us, than us: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET 1996-2018