SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 13 December 2018, 16:00
All Star Benchwarmer

I'm not sure how many books this is since June, but I'm currently working through "MayDay" by Michael Beschloss. I read it when I was in college and with far less knowledge than I have now. It's even better the second time around knowing what I know now.
Old 14 December 2018, 07:45
Confirmed User

I downloaded Man of War by Sean Parnell (also the author of Outlaw Platoon.) and I am about 1/4 of the way through. I am having trouble staying with it. The character reminds me of Mac Bolan.

I received notification that the book "The Ravenmaster: My Life with the Ravens at the Tower of London" by Christopher Skaife is available through the library.

Intro:
The author puts a human face on the Beefeaters (aka Yeoman Warders)óthe ceremonial guardians of the Tower of Londonóand the distinctive ravens under their care. According to legend, these birds merit special concern because if they depart, ďthe Tower itself will crumble into dust and great harm will befall the kingdom.
Old 16 December 2018, 22:18
Confirmed User

The Joy of Game Theory: An Introduction to Strategic Thinking

Very accessible book on Game Theory and examples of the Prisoner's Dilemma in various situations.
Old 16 December 2018, 23:18
Confirmed User

I just got this book... The Evolution of a State, Recollections of Old Texas Days.. The excerpts I have read are pretty raw when it comes to Texas history. J. Frank Dobie said, "Best of all books dealing with life in early Texas".
https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Sta.../dp/1519094698
Old 20 December 2018, 12:23
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX teacher View Post
I'm not sure how many books this is since June, but I'm currently working through "MayDay" by Michael Beschloss. I read it when I was in college and with far less knowledge than I have now. It's even better the second time around knowing what I know now.
Now pick up Timothy Naftali and Aleksandr Fursenko's two books on the Cuban Missile Crisis to get the Soviet/Cuban side. Eyeopening.
Old 20 December 2018, 13:22
All Star Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
Now pick up Timothy Naftali and Aleksandr Fursenko's two books on the Cuban Missile Crisis to get the Soviet/Cuban side. Eyeopening.
Sweet. I'm always looking for other side's perspective.

Are they well written? I ask because some historians are terrible writers and they get bogged down in dry, clinical academic writing and it takes away from the content.
Old 20 December 2018, 20:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
So I finished Ghost Rider and it was a pretty good read. Best thing I liked were his descriptions of where he was traveling and authors that had written something pertaining to the locale, i.e. while in Alaska he spoke of Jack London. I found myself using Google Maps to track where he was at on the road. Some parts in the book were a little monotonous and the ending was kind of rushed but overall a pretty decent read.

ETA - got it on Amazon for my Kindle for $4.

I agree, a good read.
Old 20 December 2018, 20:19
Been There Done That

The Rooster Bar by John Grisham. Novel was ok. Actually would probably make a better movie. Kept me interested and turning the pages. But after finishing and discussing the book with lawyer friend of mine, he was rolling his eyes and saying no way.

Started reading End Game by David Baldacci. After first chapter don't know if can continue....sigh. You would think one of these well known, highly paid authors would have the common sense to go find a special operations veteran, maybe buy them a steak dinner and ask them some questions rather than write stuff less factual than a 1980s B grade action movies. Sigh....

The main character, after taking down 14 terrorists solo with a nuclear bomb at their disposal to take out London, encounters the last obstacle - a woman standing guard with a suicide vest and dead man's trigger. So he pulls out his knife and throws it at her, his thrown knife cutting the wires - thus Abe's the day. Sigh....
Old 22 December 2018, 11:42
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX teacher View Post
Sweet. I'm always looking for other side's perspective.

Are they well written? I ask because some historians are terrible writers and they get bogged down in dry, clinical academic writing and it takes away from the content.
Yes, and worth the time. I won't spoil it, but the crisis nearly returned after the Soviets withdrew the weapons but not the warheads.
Old 23 December 2018, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
Yes, and worth the time. I won't spoil it, but the crisis nearly returned after the Soviets withdrew the weapons but not the warheads.
If you are interested in the Cuban missile crisis, you may find some interesting things in Michael Dobbs' postings : https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/nsa/cuba_...obbs/gitmo.htm.
Old 24 December 2018, 15:47
Authorized Personnel

Secrets of the Knights Templar: The Hidden History of the World's Most Powerful Order by S. J. Hodge

I enjoy reading about all things Templar related....
Old 26 December 2018, 17:26
Freelancer

When the killer man comes by Paul Martinez.
Old 2 January 2019, 07:46

Brunelleschi's Dome, Ross King.

Well-written, about design and construction of the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence in the early 1400's. Largest in the world, uniquely done without interior staging, and the brainchild of a goldsmith; interesting read of architecture and mechanics.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...lleschi_s_Dome

DaveP
Old 2 January 2019, 15:55
All Star Benchwarmer

"The Red Line" by Walt Gragg. It's a modern day spin on a possible WWIII between the US and Russia starting with a cross border invasion from Czechoslovakia to Germany.

I'm only a few chapters in, but pretty entertaining so far.
Old 2 January 2019, 16:14
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Brunelleschi's Dome, Ross King.

Well-written, about design and construction of the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence in the early 1400's. Largest in the world, uniquely done without interior staging, and the brainchild of a goldsmith; interesting read of architecture and mechanics.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...lleschi_s_Dome

DaveP
Just ordered the book on Amazon,

We used to spend a month or so in Florence. Nancy would spend the morning writing on a book, I would go to the Mercato Centrale and have a ball wandering through the market, and speaking to the merchants with what little Italian I knew.

After awhile they came to expect me, and would beckon me over to their stall to offer me a sample of something fresh/special they had that day. I would pick up food items, walk home, and Nancy would make lunch.

We would spend the rest of the day wandering Florence, wonderful memories.
Old 2 January 2019, 18:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Just ordered the book on Amazon,

We used to spend a month or so in Florence. Nancy would spend the morning writing on a book, I would go to the Mercato Centrale and have a ball wandering through the market, and speaking to the merchants with what little Italian I knew.

After awhile they came to expect me, and would beckon me over to their stall to offer me a sample of something fresh/special they had that day. I would pick up food items, walk home, and Nancy would make lunch.

We would spend the rest of the day wandering Florence, wonderful memories.
Perfectly Hemingway, perfectly awesome....
Old 2 January 2019, 21:11
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Perfectly Hemingway, perfectly awesome....
I showed Nancy this, and she got a kick out of your response.
Old 3 January 2019, 09:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
I showed Nancy this, and she got a kick out of your response.
Well, perhaps I needed to add a bit more 20's Parisian atmosphere to the notion.
Old 13 January 2019, 15:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Chicken Dinner by Timothy W Long.

A Dystopian novel about 50 people dropped on an Island with the last man standing winning $25 Million. Based on the the Battle Royale fad in video games. And of course one has to scounge gear and weapons and it is live streamed.
Just rear one of Long's other books, Drums of War, and it was terrible. Lack of research, gotta pimp the LGBT agenda, anti-Trump allusions, poor editing, spelling and grammar major mistakes, not realistic in terms of weapons handling, NG structure, etc..

Was like a HS writing project of half drunk college freshman writing assignment. Finished it anyway to get to the end, and then what? No real ending. Have to buy the next series, which am not.
Old 13 January 2019, 15:30
Confirmed User

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

It won awards and is now a show on Starz, so I decided to give it a try. I ended up with the 10 year anniversary edition, which is extended.

Iím halfway through and itís just ďmeh.Ē Parts of it are interesting, but mostly itís boring with lots of words that go nowhere. Iím quite surprised at all of the accolades itís received. Iíll finish it and update my review if it takes a turn for the better.

Our new posting rules