SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Medal of Honor

Old 10 May 2008, 21:16
Only slightly useless.

Destroyer christened in honor of MOH recipient, Vietnam POW

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080510/...le_christening

I have to admit not knowing very much about Admiral Stockdale other than his VP run with Perot. This is definately a well deserved honor.

" when life gives you lemons, make grape juice and confuse the hell out of them"
Old 11 May 2008, 22:35

I had the pleasure to meet Adm. Stockdale at the funeral in Coronado of one of his fellow POWs some years ago who was a friend of mine. Stockdale spoke about their experiences in Hanoi at the service. He was, by all accounts, a very remarkable person. I can't wait until the ship arrives here to see it.
Old 11 January 2019, 23:43
Been There Done That

Resurrecting a necropost rather than start a new one. I just watched a documentary on the Smithsonian Channel, titled 'The Spy in the Hanoi Hilton'. I have read quite a bit of Adm. Stockdale's heroics resisting the NV during his time as a POW but was unaware that he was "recruited" as a spy via his wife's letters and was able to pass on information to the CIA and ONI. From what the documentary said, this was not disclosed until the early 1990's, I've never heard of it. A great watch if the Smithsonian Channel is on your cable roster. Much of the show was also told by his son and widow. The link below contains clips from the hour long documentary.

https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/s...lton/0/3419642
Old 29 January 2019, 10:13
33,024 - R.I.P.

Many of us learned about him and others at the ADM James B. Stockdale building at NAS North Island. Then, we all loaded on a bus and went on a really shitty camping trip in Warner Springs...
Old 29 January 2019, 10:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Many of us learned about him and others at the ADM James B. Stockdale building at NAS North Island. Then, we all loaded on a bus and went on a really shitty camping trip in Warner Springs...
Yep. Best part of that course was the political indoctrination by Doug Hegdahl.

In keeping with the thread title, the USS Michael Monsoor (DDG-1001) was commissioned on Saturday and his Mom is the ships sponsor. RIP SEAL.
https://news.usni.org/2019/01/27/vid...or-commissions
Old 29 January 2019, 13:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Ha ha ha ha! Good times.
Old 29 January 2019, 14:12
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Ha ha ha ha! Good times.
Indeed...especially when your guys from (IIRC Foxtrot Plt) “liberated” us from the camp.
Old 21 March 2019, 01:07
On the Extract Bird

I had the great pleasure of getting to know Adm Jim Stockdale and Mrs. Sybil Stockdale.
Adm Stockdale's books gave me a greater insight to his love of philosophy and his family. He encouraged me, took time to talk with me and I will always be thankful for his advice.
If you haven't read his book In Love and War, I recommend it. You will see how he coped with his time as a POW but also what an incredible wife he had supporting him.

Our new posting rules