SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 January 2019, 10:03
Been There Done That

Christianity Over the Internet

It's a bold move in today's world to start a thread to discuss Christian topics. That said, I do think there are some number of us here.

I'll ask upfront that this thread exists to respectfully discuss any sort of Christian topics. The thread is not to debate or opine about the existence/non-existence of God, flying spaghetti monster, Odin, et al. Please start a separate thread if that is your preference. Thank you.

When I lived outside the US, a friend turned me on to watching sermons via the internet, primarily Matt Chandler. If you are unfamiliar with him, he's laid back but very focused on the message that "God is for God" and not about us (as his followers) or the "church". I won't try to paraphase Chandler as he's far more cogent and eloquent than I could ever be. I like his focus - people most often don't want God, they want his stuff and the relationship between God and Man should be around growing to know the nature and character of God rather than expectation for ourselves.

One of the earliest things that drew me to his sermons was the time he spends demonstrating how broken and grimy the people in the Bible were. I'd always previously had this view that these people in the Bible were some sort of Bible superheroes and, after diging into the Word, was usually left thinking "why'd God pick that person?" With only a few exceptions, the people who God worked through in the Bible tended to be deeply flawed, you know, just like me.... A large part of my decision to walk in faith can be attributed to the sermons of Matt Chandler and the follow-on Bible readings that his sermons motivated me to do.

Upon moving back to the States, I've expanded a bit who I watch. I tried watching some others but realized after a short time watching that many are focused on themselves and not the Word. There are not only popular TV programs and preachers but also entire Christian channels that seem dedicated to separating folks from their money with vague promises of results rather than bringing people to Christ. It sometmes takes a few hours of watching to start to discern motives. Difficult.

I've recently settled on Francis Chan. Ravi Zacharias, and John Piper. They pretty much span the spectum from "personable" to "scholarly" but all seem Gospel focused and selfless true believers in prayer. Who are some of your favorites? Who else should I/we be watching and why?

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 12 January 2019, 10:21
Been There Done That

I listen to most anything by Mike Heiser (from Logos software) he's very fluent in a number of dead languages and provides much insight into thr mindset and practices of the first century church and earlier Judaism. I especially like his word analysis of the various names and duties of spiritual entities from pre flood to modern times.
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old 12 January 2019, 10:27
Authorized Personnel

I taught Bible studies for years using Francis Chan's materials. One of the things I liked the most about him was that he lived what he preached. He gave more than he kept - financially and everything else. He was super understandable and was able to convey his messages so that new believers could understand him as well as deep enough for those that have been grounded for years.

I like Steven Furtick. I have done several of his Bible studies and watched several of his messages on TV. He is young, but he is real. He calls himself out a lot and knows that he isn't perfect, but striving to live a righteous life like the rest of us. He isn't one that feels he is above everyone else and knows a little about life outside the church rather than those pastors that have lived in the "bubble" for most of their lives.

I do enjoy watching TD Jakes. Some people don't like him because he gets a little "emotional", but I can handle it and absolutely love his perspective.

I also enjoy watching David Jeremiah. He speaks in easy to understand terms and I like his delivery. I have learned a lot from him through his TV ministry.

For prophecy and "deeper" learning about prophetical events, I like to watch Perry Stone. He gives one a lot to think about through his teachings.
Old 12 January 2019, 10:49
Confirmed User

I don't watch TV preachers nowadays, although in the past I have watched Charles Stanley. I found him Biblicaly solid, Christ centered, and easy to follow. My local pastor does a fine job, so I don't need to supplement.

I do sometimes listen to Allistair Begg on the car radio, but I just like his Scottish accent.
Old 12 January 2019, 11:00
Isiah 52:13-53:12

I don’t watch any Christian pastors on TV. I do go to several websites though. Some of my favorite teachers on the Bible have been in no particular order are:
Dr Chuck Missler (Kiononia house is website).
Jack Kelly (gracethrufaith.com)
J Vernon McGee
C.S Lewis
Hal Lindsey Ministries
Josh McDowell
Clarence Larkin

As most Christians here know. There are eschatalogical differences within the body of believers. The teachers and ministers above are/were (some are deceased) pre tribulation Rapture pre millennial. I have several other websites and pastors that I give an eye and ear to. Feel free to pm me any time on others that I consider Noble Bereans.
Thanks for starting this thread HDLS. Hopefully it wont get derailed into a theological debate which ultimately gets a NOPE.
Edit to add: Calvery Chapel as a whole is good source of scriptural study and worship

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon

Last edited by Xenonburnout; 12 January 2019 at 11:14.
Old 12 January 2019, 12:04
exquisitus asinus

John Mark Caton is a local DFW area pastor.. Weekly sermons are streamed live and then uploaded later to the church website as well (cottonwoodcreek.org).

I find John Mark to be a pretty down to earth guy (I know him personally).. easy to talk to.. and easy to understand.. he puts things into context so that the average joe can wrap their head around some otherwise pretty difficult biblical concepts..

He isnt an old school "fire and brimstone" pastor.. but he also isnt some new age type that only talks about and teaches the "good".. he is somewhere in the middle IMO.. he believes strongly in accountability.. but also believes that loving "lost" people and being there for them even when they are at their worst is the best way to accomplish the mission...

My assessment is he is not only a good "preacher" (knows how to get the message across, keep you interested, educate, lead, etc..).. but he is also a genuinely good man (sadly, something I cant say for all pastors/priests/ministers, etc I have known).. I think he is worth listening to and seeing what you think..
Old 12 January 2019, 12:30
Been There Done That

I find Theology in general fascinating. I'm a non-denominational protestant. Bible school, Church camp all of that. Baptized in early teens. Whenever I travelled...like food I tried to interest myself in everything about the culture including religion. There's no argument from me about your God. Tell me all about him...I'll sit around the hookah and listen to you all day. Just dont try to convert me.

I don't worship at a Church. In fact, I cant remember last time I was in one. I would probably suffer from spontaneous human combustion if I entered the doors. I know that's wrong but in reality kinda how I feel . I don't feel comfortable there as I don't in a lot of public/other areas.

The outdoors and seeing Gods majestic work has always been my Church. Like Tom T. Hall sang; Me & Jesus got our own thing going. Me & Jesus got it all worked out.

Karl Childers
Old 12 January 2019, 12:33
Confirmed User

TD Jakes and Steven Furtnick- I would stay away from pastors that live in multi-million dollar homes. That is usually a sign of a prosperity preacher.

Douglas Wilson and Tim Keller both live the way they preach. *Both have podcasts. Matt Chandler is an excellent preacher. A lot of the preachers that I used to respect have been leaning towards the recent social justice insanity. I cross them off as soon as I see that
Old 12 January 2019, 12:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenonburnout View Post
I don’t watch any Christian pastors on TV. I do go to several websites though. Some of my favorite teachers on the Bible have been in no particular order are:
Dr Chuck Missler (Kiononia house is website).
Jack Kelly (gracethrufaith.com)
J Vernon McGee
C.S Lewis
Hal Lindsey Ministries
Josh McDowell
Clarence Larkin

As most Christians here know. There are eschatalogical differences within the body of believers. The teachers and ministers above are/were (some are deceased) pre tribulation Rapture pre millennial. I have several other websites and pastors that I give an eye and ear to. Feel free to pm me any time on others that I consider Noble Bereans.
Thanks for starting this thread HDLS. Hopefully it wont get derailed into a theological debate which ultimately gets a NOPE.
Edit to add: Calvery Chapel as a whole is good source of scriptural study and worship
Don't forget about Preterism. The belief that end time prophecy was actually fulfilled in AD 70. And much to back that up.
Old 12 January 2019, 12:55
Been There Done That

When I do go to church here in the D/FW Metroplex, it usually is to one of Matt Chandler's "Village" churches. I really like the man and his message. My youngest Son introduced me to him. Thanks HDLS, had no idea his message was getting out internationally.

Prior to that, my influences have been LDS and Lutheran. Not a big fan of organized Christianity. I despise the money grab that's inherent in all. The Village rarely pressures. They are very active in the community and encourage their members to serve those less fortunate.

I don't have a dedicated source for inspiration, so deeply appreciate those of you that have taken the time to share your personal sources.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 12 January 2019, 13:03
Authorized Personnel

My church is my community. I personally learn from our pastor and associate pastor and I prefer their sermons. I do enjoy and learn from Craig Groeschel and J.D. Greear (my study group just finished a study on Ephesians with J.D.) on RightNow Media, but I try to focus more on the message than the messenger.
Old 12 January 2019, 13:04
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I would probably suffer from spontaneous human combustion if I entered the doors.

The last time I was in a church was 1970, it was a chapel in Qua Viet, Vietnam. There were two midnight masses scheduled that night, the second was cancelled because a GI tossed a grenade in the chapel. Race relations were a problem in those days.

Danial Kolenda, an evangelist, got his start in Port Charlotte. When I was Commander of our VFW (1987-8), we awarded him first place in our 'voice of Democracy' program. We all thought that he was going to go places.
Old 12 January 2019, 13:05
Isiah 52:13-53:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Don't forget about Preterism. The belief that end time prophecy was actually fulfilled in AD 70. And much to back that up.
Not gonna bite LP....

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon
Old 12 January 2019, 13:47
Problem Solver

I really like Pastor Herman Murray, Jr. of Full Gospel Holy Temple out of Dallas. He's a young guy but his message is old-school and he preaches the Bible the old-fashioned way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kyNmTAtOvI

https://www.youtube.com/user/FullGospelBroadcast

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."

Last edited by Shadow; 12 January 2019 at 14:15.
Old 12 January 2019, 13:51
Confirmed User

I haven't been to church regularly in a few years, and it'll probably be a few more before I'm back. I felt pressured to stay with my cheating wife (while I was deployed) through church marriage counseling and it ruined my attitude toward church for a long time. I think next time I'm not going to try so hard to be a perfect christian and just ride life out. The expectations really burned me out.

I do like to listen to Rich Nathan at Vineyard Columbus (OH). Every sermon is put online at vineyardcolumbus.org. and they do tons of stuff around the community.

As mentioned above, any "preacher" living in a multi-million dollar mansion shoul be avoided.
Old 12 January 2019, 15:25
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
I felt pressured to stay with my cheating wife (while I was deployed) through church marriage counseling...
It is my opinion, based on a lifetime of personal experience, that “Church marriage counselors” are about as reliable as a stranger on the corner.

I know there are a few excellent ones, but many are trying to make up for screwing up their own lives.

As a man of faith, I would rather rely on the advise of close friends, wisely chosen and whose lives are in order, than that of a credentialed talker with opinions.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 12 January 2019, 16:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
I find Theology in general fascinating. I'm a non-denominational protestant. Bible school, Church camp all of that. Baptized in early teens. Whenever I travelled...like food I tried to interest myself in everything about the culture including religion. There's no argument from me about your God. Tell me all about him...I'll sit around the hookah and listen to you all day. Just dont try to convert me.

I don't worship at a Church. In fact, I cant remember last time I was in one. I would probably suffer from spontaneous human combustion if I entered the doors. I know that's wrong but in reality kinda how I feel . I don't feel comfortable there as I don't in a lot of public/other areas.

The outdoors and seeing Gods majestic work has always been my Church. Like Tom T. Hall sang; Me & Jesus got our own thing going. Me & Jesus got it all worked out.
Yup...pretty much me as well. I always sorta saw Heaven as the Devil's drug of choice--everyone wants it, but only a select few are gonna sample the fruit.
Old 12 January 2019, 16:22
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
I would probably suffer from spontaneous human combustion if I entered the doors. I know that's wrong but in reality kinda how I feel . I don't feel comfortable there as I don't in a lot of public/other areas.
Same, spot on actually.

I consider myself spiritual but not religious. And yes I am aware of how lame it sounds.
Old 12 January 2019, 16:25
Confirmed User

Quote:

My wife and I and our kids are all pretty devout Christians, following the we are. We don't go to any brick-and-mortar church anymore. After reading the Bible several times and doing some independent research that is not the model that we choose to follow. We, all of us, all Christians are "The Church", and it's funny how the Bible does not mention 11-12 on Sundays, Wednesday evening meals, any of that.

We Believe and the home Church concept, but we get our spiritual and Christian guidance from a variety of other believers. I get just as much insight from the newly proclaimed Christian as I do from a PhD from Southeastern Baptist Seminary.

I love discussing Christianity, religion, the Bible, especially from a historical perspective.
Old 12 January 2019, 16:33
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post

...I consider myself spiritual but not religious. And yes I am aware of how lame it sounds...
There's nothing at all lame about that.

Religion emphasizes dogma while spirituality emphasizes wisdom...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."

Our new posting rules