Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Diving

Old 27 June 2017, 23:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotor Strike please View Post
Got my open water certs from UF's Academic Dive Program while doing dives at Ginnie, Vortex, Devil's Den, etc. Fantastic area to learn.

Been diving the Red Sea lately, and it's amazing. Heading to Marsa Alam on the 27th to see some sharks.

I got my dive certification while serving a 6 month tour with the MFO in the Sinai. The Red Sea is an absolutely beautiful dive spot.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 28 June 2017, 01:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I got my dive certification while serving a 6 month tour with the MFO in the Sinai. The Red Sea is an absolutely beautiful dive spot.
It's spectacular. I'm heading back from 13-20 July for another weeklong trip. Additionally, I'm doing a week long liveaboard in November as part of a scientific expedition to gather information on shark populations in the Red Sea. So, I get to dive with sharks, shark researchers, and learn about all things Sharky (not the gay kind we have here). I'll get to photodocument Hammerheads, Oceanic Whitetips, Threshers, Black Tips, Grey Reef, and the odd Tiger should it appear again.

I'm super stoked for this one.
Old 28 June 2017, 23:49
Been There Done That

I saw plenty of black tips, a few hammerheads. The black tips like to get close. The most exciting experience was being within a few feet of a manta ray. I couldn't believe how huge those things are. Glad they are friendly.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 6 July 2017, 22:09
Confirmed User

I grew up in north Florida in the 1960s and 1970s. When I was a youngun the Ichetucknee River was uncontrolled and we hauled out tons of garbage mostly beer cans. Now the place is pristine. If you ever get to the area you really should tube the Ichetucknee. I never got around to diving much less cave diving but it seems like in those days people drowned in caves all the time. My wife and I stayed in a B&B in Mayo in the 1990s and there were a group of cave divers we shared breakfast and dinner table with. The constantly joked about booze and occasionally having some blood in their alcohol streams being a recurring joke. We spent a week there and near the end of the week two of them didn't come back for dinner. They had drowned. That was a real bummer end to a vacation. It seems like alcohol permeated the sport. I knew Sheck Exley, he of course died underwater. I knew several others who died underwater, mostly stupid risk taking. I always had the impression that cave diving was insanely dangerous.
Old 7 July 2017, 06:59
Pirate and Rogue

Suwannee Tim...do you live anywhere near Live Oak?

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 7 July 2017, 08:02
Been There Done That

The Ich is awesome, we've been there at least a hand full of times this year already, glad to hear it was cleaned up, because now it's amazing. Got married at Jug Hole, which is a really fun but short cave dive. Love that place.

There are some goofs in cave diving, it attracts idiots who feel they have a lot to prove, generally they filter out by either scaring themselves or dying. The current trend is super rich russians who come to town and drink and spend money like there is no tomorrow. Drinking and cave diving do not mix well imo.
Cave diving itself can be done really safely, follow established rules and protocols and you can enjoy it for years and years...however it is an environment where if you play fuck fuck games you will pay a heavy price. The only friends I've had die were pushing limits in ways that normal cave divers don't do....like no mount, all tanks off, wriggling into fissures...that type of thing.
I solo back 2-3k in caves most every weekend. It's super fun and calming. Most socom types have the mentality to enjoy it and conduct very safe dives imo.
With the proper training it's really not that dangerous.

Our new posting rules