Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 15 June 2017, 08:06
Been There Done That

Crate Club

This popped up on my Fakebook. Doesn't sit well with me. The web site says nothing about the actual gear. Marketing gimmick? Anyone have experience with ****** or the Hurricane Group?

https://www.crateclub.us/
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Im attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 15 June 2017, 09:01
Authorized Personnel

I've seen a lot of variations on this - crate club for men's clothing, crate club for men's cool items to look cool with, and now this.

It's for people with too much money on their hands who want new toys.
Old 15 June 2017, 09:11
Spice Weasel

Quote:
We ship Special Operations tested and hand picked gear straight to your door step.
Hell, I can get that for free. AZ5326 is always willing to SEAL test and verify any ammo I have. And Mac offered to send me a field-tested Tactical Asian Chick just the other day.

Marketing gimmick, IMO. From the Hurricane website:

Quote:
David Ogilvy: "If it doesn't sell, it isn't creative." We get Ogilvy and we know digital. It has to be more than a pretty picture. Advertising must drive consumer activation to be effective.

We don’t just put up banners. We test, adjust, then swing for the fences for our partners.

Custom editorial, banner, radio, social media and video coupled with extensive testing and research with our own digital campaign test lab. Because long-term relationships are important to us, and our success depends on your success.
Old 15 June 2017, 09:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
This popped up on my Fakebook. Doesn't sit well with me. The web site says nothing about the actual gear. Marketing gimmick? Anyone have experience with ****** or the Hurricane Group?

https://www.crateclub.us/
Why doesn't it sit well with you?
Old 15 June 2017, 10:47
A Texan in exile

Did y'all scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at who this is from?

Pimps gonna pimp
Old 15 June 2017, 12:35
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
It's for people with too much money on their hands who want new toys.
Drones aren't enough? We were just discussing at work this morning that some Americans have way too much disposable income for stupid shit.

Old 15 June 2017, 12:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritatem Cognoscere View Post
Did y'all scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at who this is from?

Pimps gonna pimp
Yeah, but I don't write/repeat that. . . .(crap) here

Pimp'n is de rigueur . . .which is why I asked de question.
Old 15 June 2017, 13:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Why doesn't it sit well with you?
It is hyped up bullshit, that's why.

I like your approach. Quiet and professional.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Im attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 15 June 2017, 14:58
Violent Social Worker

Agree 100%. Hipster consumer immature crap.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 15 June 2017, 22:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
It is hyped up bullshit, that's why.

I like your approach. Quiet and professional.
Thank you!

I'm louder than I want to be by my own preferences, and quieter than I should be by marketers standards.

The big thing now a days isn't to simply make a living or create something.
Folks like in this Crate thing are par for the course. They don't make a product. And they can't merchandise for shit. So they market. Pretending (within) that they have a consumable via this subscription thing. And of course the hat trick with Marketing is, it doesn't have to be worth a shit, it's just has to convince you that it is. Stuff like this is short lived though unless you've got some really good gear, or a good hook or are willing to spit out the $'s to keep the flow coming with new customers. You'll probably still have to do the latter any-which-way till the end.

It's like opening a new gym and placing all kinds of new "white" workout eq in place and watch the people flock to it. . . until they don't because the newness wore off. Marketers study this stuff. Oh, and they gladly sell this to you to use.

One of our members here has that Josie Wales quote in their sig line: "Don't Piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

Wise words, and I feel better each time I think of it.
Old 16 June 2017, 14:08
Authorized Personnel

My wife signed me up for this as a x-mas gift...really cool concept but its pretty much garbage. Of the few months I participated, it cost about $60/month and the trinkets were unimpressive. Two crates were really late, for which they apologized, and the last month before I dropped they shipped a (yet another) Navy Seal book written by the founder instead of gear. So they basically took membership dues to boost pre-release book sales. When I explained that a book is not battle-tested tactical gear they assured me I could learn from it and offered me a coupon to their tactical store. (So the solution was for me to spend more money.)

So if you are thinking of doing this my advice is to bust out a couple of twenties each month and light them on fire. One month you can call it a signal fire, the next month you can call it a warming fire, the next you can call it an area light, etc.... you get the picture.
Old 16 June 2017, 15:07
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by x175Ranger View Post
My wife signed me up for this as a x-mas gift...really cool concept but its pretty much garbage. Of the few months I participated, it cost about $60/month and the trinkets were unimpressive. Two crates were really late, for which they apologized, and the last month before I dropped they shipped a (yet another) Navy Seal book written by the founder instead of gear. So they basically took membership dues to boost pre-release book sales. When I explained that a book is not battle-tested tactical gear they assured me I could learn from it and offered me a coupon to their tactical store. (So the solution was for me to spend more money.)

So if you are thinking of doing this my advice is to bust out a couple of twenties each month and light them on fire. One month you can call it a signal fire, the next month you can call it a warming fire, the next you can call it an area light, etc.... you get the picture.
Pretty much exactly what I figured. No surprise on Murphy and Webb but sucks to see Paronto and Dakota Meyer pimping that shit for them.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 16 June 2017, 16:29
Confirmed User

I'm really starting to despise the word "curated".

It's the "new" 5 dollar marketing word that means "we picked junk for maximum profit to sell to suckers".

'Curated" is like Internet herpes.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 19 June 2017, 09:17
Confirmed User

From looking at their adds where they show the contents of the packages and seeing the pricing it looks like a total ripoff. Not to mention it seems like if someone is sending you random gear you will end up with more stuff you don't use then stuff you need or want, so I think the concept is flawed even if it wasn't a scam........ If you read the comments on Facebook and actually look for people that are crate club members you will find that it's about 80-90% negative reviews, stuff ranging from not getting their money worth to waiting several months to get a package.
Old 19 June 2017, 10:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF0311 View Post
From looking at their adds where they show the contents of the packages and seeing the pricing it looks like a total ripoff. Not to mention it seems like if someone is sending you random gear you will end up with more stuff you don't use then stuff you need or want, so I think the concept is flawed even if it wasn't a scam........ If you read the comments on Facebook and actually look for people that are crate club members you will find that it's about 80-90% negative reviews, stuff ranging from not getting their money worth to waiting several months to get a package.
Ha. You're breaking the rules there

THAT is one of the first things I always do before I buy sight unseen or company unknown. I go snoop their Social Media. When they don't have a SM page/s, I take that as a warning sign.
Amazing how many times I find similar to you in the comments/reviews.

On a Personal case in point, recent contractor I hired then fired didn't have a FB page to check on. Google reviews and all pointed to stellar work. 200 mi away from the place I needed to have work done. After firing him, I found that they did indeed have a FB page, only it was an INVITE only Group page; controlling the potential for negative reviews in the open.

Lesson learned, Snoop more!
Old 19 June 2017, 17:27
Scoundrel

http://socnet.com/showpost.php?p=105...8&postcount=10

It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really. -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 19 June 2017, 17:46
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
So that's where he went... :D
Old 19 June 2017, 17:53
Voodoo guru

Just for fun, some of you should tell Webb what you think of this. He's become so fucking arrogant (as if he wasn't before), he will waste no time in telling you that you aren't shit because you aren't "x".

Damn sure sad to see that Puranto and Meyer schlepping.... But not sad seeing that they're having to compete on social media with every other cool guy that's working the social media angle.
Old 19 June 2017, 21:03
Authorized Personnel

Am I missing something? I can't find any way on their website to see what's in each crate before you buy it. Are you buying a mystery box, not knowing what the contents will be? Is the customer expected to just trust that they are getting their money's worth?

Our new posting rules