Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 19 June 2017, 07:49
Life is simple, not easy.

Best of luck.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Old 19 June 2017, 18:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforjonny View Post
Medical folks, what is the best practice pre op to make sure they harvest the correct one?

Sharpie and 'Take this one' on the bad one and 'Don't take this one' on the good one?

Ask this guy.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/06/19/man-gets-870g-after-doctor-removes-wrong-testicle.html

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 19 June 2017, 23:01
Confirmed User

My story. November 1989 in Germany serving as a Ground Surveillance Systems Operator (High RF) at 20 years old, noticed a mass on my left testicle. Had surgery to remove said mass. No records of results, presumed benign. Fast forward to February, 1993 in Peru, where I am now a 24 year SF commo guy (High RF), noticed another mass on same testicle. Told medics, given option to RTB or CM, no contest, Peru won. Got back to states with intention of going to get it taken care of right away. Told I had an option to TDY again. No brainer, 30 days later I RTB again with intent to seriously get it checked out. "Hey Rod, want to go to SERE school?" Hell yeah, finally!! Doc doing SERE physical found the mass, stopped, called somebody at Womack (Army hospital), said get my mass over there pronto. Dr. Q ran me through the wringer for labs, scans , and pretty much any other type of diagnostic. I don't recall the exact sequence of events, just that he was concerned enough with the preliminary results to tell me that "We will do the surgery in the morning." Me (innocently): "What surgery?" Him: "We will be removing your left testicle." Me: "And if I wanna keep ole lefty as a matched set?" Him: "You could be dead in two years." Me: "Lefty, it was fun while it lasted." Went on 30 days con leave, he called me after 10 days and said the results of all of the scans were in and I needed to high tail my now one ball self back to Bragg. I negotiated the follow on treatment at Walter Reed and watched the July 4th fireworks from a hospital window having just started on the first of four rounds of chemotherapy. Anyway, wound up being Stage III Embryonal Cell Carcinoma. I was truly blessed in that I was allowed to return to duty and even managed to have four kids without lefty, including a set of twins!
VA says this about my case "neoplasm of male reproductive system with removal of one testis (claimed as testicular cancer) 0% Service Connected" So yes, it can be.
So are the three instances of squamous cell and two instances of basal cell carcinomas that I have had.
Good luck to you, will keep you in my prayers. Attitude is EVERYTHING.

Last edited by Joe30045; 19 June 2017 at 23:04. Reason: Spelling
Old 22 June 2017, 10:07
Been There Done That

Update:

doitforJohnny is one nut lighter but all went well, thankfully.

Speedy recovery, brother.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 22 June 2017, 10:18
Authorized Personnel

Good deal. Glad it went as planned.

Had a bud had one blow up while in the desert phase of Ranger school. Didn't want to do the sick call route, so he toughed it out, graduated, straight to Walter Reed to have it removed and do the chemo thing. He got a good kick out of it because he said he already looked like a cancer patient coming out of Ranger School, so it all worked out.
Old 22 June 2017, 10:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Update:

Did they take the correct one?

Positive vibes for a speedy recovery.
Old 22 June 2017, 11:25
The atomic zit

Good news!
Old 22 June 2017, 11:33
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Update:

Damn glad to hear that.
Old 22 June 2017, 13:40
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe30045 View Post
0% Service Connected
Of course. This from the same people who said GWS didn't exist.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 22 June 2017, 14:22
Midgetologist

Glad everything went well.
Old Yesterday, 10:36
pumpin gas and kickin ass

Thanks all! Surgery was pretty anticlimactic, besides losing a ball.

Just bedresting around the house, trying to avoid going stir crazy.

Will update when the biopsy gets done and we know if they are going to call for chemo or not.
Old Yesterday, 16:03
Another pool cleaner

Great to hear.
Old Yesterday, 16:36
Midgetologist

Speedy recovery.
Old Today, 02:04
Darwin Award Presenter

Glad to hear you are on the mend DIFJ.

Could it be service related? Possibly. There is new evidence on the carcinogenic effect of the burn pits. Most items burned OCONUS are banned from burning in CONUS, that should give one pause right there.

Sometime back I watched a documentary about an Army doc who was drummed out because he insisted Gulf War syndrome was a reality. The money shot were DNA mapping tools that were color coded. Picture it as a color chart, where each gene is one color. When this was done with the DNA from OIF/OEF veterans, there were clear changes. The brown gene had portions of yellow, the red gene now had bits of yellow. His working theory was DNA damage was mitigated by exposure to the dust particles inhaled from depleted uranium shells.

Since cancer is the result of normal cells that morph into cancerous tissue, and sometimes involve DNA alterations, leading to cancer. There exists now a screening tool for colon cancer that is diy. Send them a stool sample, and they look for DNA.

The issue is getting .gov to admit there is an issue.
Old Today, 09:53
pumpin gas and kickin ass

Totally hear you on that one. I am completely outside the VA system, don't have a rating, and have just as much exposure as a civilian (doing much the same or similar jobs) as when I was active, so I am more about plugging my results in to whoever is keeping track of these sorts of things.

I got put in touch with a nice contractor lady from SOCOM who is putting together some tracking of folks with cancer, and associating it initially with MOS. I know of like 5 Force guys offhand that had it worse than me, so anecdote tells me it is service related.

Either way, it was a total surprise and shock to me, just wanted to push it out there for other dudes to start paying attention mid thirties for this shit.

Our new posting rules