SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 15 December 2018, 22:59
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
If Magician is monitoring this thread - any word on when Rosetta Stone will be released as a hardcopy ?
I have it in hard copy, got it weeks ago.
Old 16 December 2018, 01:06
Confirmed User

^^^^^ Roger - thanks, Gavin. I assume the initial quantities sold out then. Only the kindle version is available on Amazon at the moment.
Old 17 December 2018, 02:59
Whatever Sucks the Most

Howdy!

Rosetta Stone was too long, too big, at 490 pages: Amazon priced it at $88 for a hard copy. I pulled it.

I split it up into two books, Metamorphosis and Revelation. Both are available on GoogleBooks, so you can preview before you buy. They cost much less. Amazon prices a hard copy of Metamorphosis in black and white at $24.99.

A full color edition is available from Barnes & Noble for $34.99.

EBook editions are much less, priced at $9.99, I believe.

Those few who purchased a hard copy of the original Rosetta Stone now own a rare artifact. I could not live with myself with Amazon charging $88 for that book. My royalty was $10. Amazon was profiteering.

Anyway. The contents of Rosetta Stone are now available as separate books. Check them out on a GoogleBooks to be certain that you want to buy them.

Sorry for the confusion! I am a writer, and not a publisher! And I am not a designer. LOL.

I hope that you like these books! Please leave a review after you read them. Review them anywhere. Google, Amazon, B&N, iTunes.

Thank you!
Old 17 December 2018, 03:07
Red Headed Stepchild

Excellent.

Do you prefer reviews at any site in particular?
Old 17 December 2018, 03:52
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Excellent.

Do you prefer reviews at any site in particular?
Probably best at the source where you acquired it. Wherever you bought it, I think.

Maybe on GoodReads? I do not really understand that site.

Thank you for buying my work! Thank you for reading it! And thank you for reviewing it!

Some of the folks who reviewed my first book are now immortalized in Revelation. LOL!
Old 17 December 2018, 11:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
Howdy!

Rosetta Stone was too long, too big, at 490 pages: Amazon priced it at $88 for a hard copy. I pulled it.

I split it up into two books, Metamorphosis and Revelation. Both are available on GoogleBooks, so you can preview before you buy. They cost much less. Amazon prices a hard copy of Metamorphosis in black and white at $24.99.

A full color edition is available from Barnes & Noble for $34.99.

EBook editions are much less, priced at $9.99, I believe.

Those few who purchased a hard copy of the original Rosetta Stone now own a rare artifact. I could not live with myself with Amazon charging $88 for that book. My royalty was $10. Amazon was profiteering.

Anyway. The contents of Rosetta Stone are now available as separate books. Check them out on a GoogleBooks to be certain that you want to buy them.

Sorry for the confusion! I am a writer, and not a publisher! And I am not a designer. LOL.

I hope that you like these books! Please leave a review after you read them. Review them anywhere. Google, Amazon, B&N, iTunes.

Thank you!
Damn. Ok - so no chance of getting an original hardcopy? I would willingly pay the $88... (and then some)

So my options for getting hardcopies of any form now are to pick up Metamorphosis and Revelation? - Got it. Thank you, Magician - I look forward to reading these.
Old 17 December 2018, 12:38
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Damn. Ok - so no chance of getting an original hardcopy? I would willingly pay the $88... (and then some)

So my options for getting hardcopies of any form now are to pick up Metamorphosis and Revelation? - Got it. Thank you, Magician - I look forward to reading these.
I am really sorry about the confusion. I am not a designer nor a publisher, and it is obvious in retrospect that these two books are two books ... but as I was writing Revelation it was the preface to Rosetta Stone.

Revelation needs to be its own book. But when I was writing it, it was the preface to Rosetta Stone. I had to clean up continuity errors when I made it into its own book.

So I now have two new books, and they are very different.

Revelation is a metaphysik. It is not for everyone. Some will love it. Many will find it unreadable. I make no judgements. I am just being brutally honest. This is why I made the entire text of Revelation available free on GoogleBooks.

I also made it free to read on Academia.edu and ResearchGate.net.

Folks can check it out, and if they like it, they can throw Doc T some ducats and help me budget for a new computer. I do not really mind if readers read the entirety of Revelation on GoogleBooks and never give me a dime. It means more to me that it gets read. Those who need to read it, who can benefit from it, will find no obstacles in their path.

Metamorphosis is a continuation of the narrative that I began in A Tale of the Grenada Raiders. It consists of bridge chapters that were supposed to go into the Grenada book. I cut them to keep that work lean and clean. There were enough chapters to make another book. And A Tale of the Grenada Raiders was big enough without them.

So Metamorphosis is book 2 in the series Tales of the Rangers. I do not think that Revelation fits in that series. It is a separate thing, it stands outside the series, though it does explain why I write these books as I do.

A reader reached out to me, and he specifically asked for the details that comprise Metamorphosis. I did not really find them interesting, this is my life, and I live it, but he wanted to know what it was like to go through RIP back in the day and what was it like to be trained as an SF Medic.

You just never know how a book will be received. I think that I got lucky with A Tale. It took me 26 years to complete it. I worked on Metamorphosis for some 13 years. Maybe I should have held it and worked on it longer.

Anyway. The easy way to find all the links to these books is on my website at www.magickingdomdispatch.com. You can buy them through Amazon, or Barnes & Noble, Google or Apple. Or you can read them free on GoogleBooks. I am a writer. I just want readers. I figure that the money that I need to buy new hardware will come to me one way or another.

At some point, I will complete a Corrected Edition of A Tale of the Grenada Raiders, as Ranger Jerry Shorma came up on the net, and I finally interviewed him. He read the book and pointed out some errors that I have to fix.

A Tale is a work of history. It is not fiction. So when Jerry points out errors, he is pointing out errors of fact. As an historian I have an obligation to correct the record.

This will also give me the opportunity to sneak in some stylistic fixes.

Karl Monger is interviewing me again for his radio show on the 19th, so I will post the link to that when he publishes it.

As always, please leave a review wherever you buy the books! If you do not buy them but just read them on GoogleBooks, please leave a review there!

All these reviews add up. They give me insight into my audience, and they confirm what I suspect in my bones.

I refer to many reviewers in Revelation by name, so some folks who reviewed A Tale are now famous.

I will do the same thing when I finalize Tales of the Rangers, which is forecasted to drop on 25 October 2019.

Thank you for reading! Thank you for buying my books! And thank you for your comments!

m.
=
Old 17 December 2018, 20:45
Mod

It was briefly released, but Amazon was scalping again due to it's physical size. The book was chopped into 2 smaller versions; Metamorphosis & Revelation; both available in physical (paperback) copies.

Our new posting rules