SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Closed Thread

Old 6 June 2011, 16:27
Looking For Work

WPS PEB/Bench Press?

I searched and nothing came up, so maybe you guys can help me out.

Going to be attending the WPS II Course. Only thing in question is my bench, as I'm not a gym rat. I'm in great shape but dont ever bench. I'm just currious is to what the exact standards are so I can make sure I'm 100% GTG when I get there

From my recruiter I was told 70% Minimum with the following standards. I would be looking at 109.60% of my weight that is 205lbs, so I'm looking at 225lbs.

From this link the scores and standrads are different, anybody know if this is what the WPS corse uses, or should I just go with what my recruiter gave me?

If they go off this list, its 235 at 205lbs at 70% or 245 with 75%

http://www.fletc.gov/training/progra...ttery-peb.html

Thanks,

Ax
Old 6 June 2011, 17:13
"We're all bad in someone's story...."

Setting your mind on the "minimum" standard...

Is not a good at all!

I don't know what your age or weight is however, here is the FLETC PEB scores.

Good luck and stay safe.
Old 6 June 2011, 18:01
Looking For Work

Yea I realize setting my mind on the minimum is never a good thing, but at the moment it wont do me any good to not pass the minimum. Like I said I don't go to the gym, bench press and hit the weights. Right now I'm interested in passing the course, Not benching 350lbs one time, or setting unrealistic goals for myself. As I have a month to get ready.

Also the info. about the PEB bench I got from my recruiter is not the same as the link you posted and the one I posted, that's also why I asked.

I will be 30 when I get there and anywhere from 205-200lbs.

Now I'm off to the gym..

Thanks,

Ax
Old 6 June 2011, 19:25
NKDA

A.) I know for a fact that there is a myriad of information on the WPPS/WPS Physical Efficiency Battery throughout the forum. If you read the threads in detail, and some of them between the lines, you will find your answer.

http://www.socnet.com/search.php?searchid=2939870
http://www.socnet.com/search.php?searchid=2939877

B.) "I don't go to the gym" - EXACTLY the person that I want on my small team because I know I can depend on him when the going gets tough.
Old 6 June 2011, 20:13
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos
B.) "I don't go to the gym" - EXACTLY the person that I want on my small team because I know I can depend on him when the going gets tough.
Well, that might be a little harsh. Granted, coming on a forum like this one and starting off with what is essentially something that looks an awful lot like an excuse -- sure, it HAS to raise eyebrows and get people cocked to unload.

But.

What if the dude is fine, PT-wise, and simply has never benched before? He might be a benching MF'er, but if he doesn't practice it and is going in to take a test that requires it, sure -- some nervousness is probably logical.

Also, FWIW, someone that hangs out in a gym doesn't -- to ME -- default equate to someone in good shape. He might be in great shape, but no guarantees....
Old 6 June 2011, 20:43
Chicks dig scars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Well, that might be a little harsh. Granted, coming on a forum like this one and starting off with what is essentially something that looks an awful lot like an excuse -- sure, it HAS to raise eyebrows and get people cocked to unload.

But.

What if the dude is fine, PT-wise, and simply has never benched before? He might be a benching MF'er, but if he doesn't practice it and is going in to take a test that requires it, sure -- some nervousness is probably logical.

Also, FWIW, someone that hangs out in a gym doesn't -- to ME -- default equate to someone in good shape. He might be in great shape, but no guarantees....
Bingo. Last time I took a LEO physical test I beat out a lot of the glam muscle gym bodies that were there.
Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
You're an Army dude, aren't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Must have been my use of big words that gave it away.
Old 6 June 2011, 22:14
Looking For Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
A.) I know for a fact that there is a myriad of information on the WPPS/WPS Physical Efficiency Battery throughout the forum. If you read the threads in detail, and some of them between the lines, you will find your answer.

http://www.socnet.com/search.php?searchid=2939870
http://www.socnet.com/search.php?searchid=2939877
Thanks for the links, I did search and it always came up with nothing. I was obviously searching the wrong way. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
So because I'm not a gym membership card holder, or a buyer of mass quantities of supplements, means that I'm not in shape or dependable in a shitty situation?? Man you have a harsh idea of what in shape is.

Some of you guys sure are quick to jump on somebody and form your own conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post

But.

I'm in great shape. I just simply don't make it a hobby to bench or lift heavy weights so I can have big huge muscles. I really have no idea what goal I should be aiming for on a bench press, or what I "should" be at. I just want to make sure I pass when I get there and not waste my or the company's time.

I grew up on the conventional side of the Military, we did military style PT, going to the gym was not something we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
Bingo. Last time I took a LEO physical test I beat out a lot of the glam muscle gym bodies that were there.
Reed
Most meatheads I know, cant run for shit and to sub average on military style PT tests..
Old 6 June 2011, 22:22
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman
I just simply don't make it a hobby to bench or lift heavy weights so I can have big huge muscles. I really have no idea what goal I should be aiming for on a bench press, or what I "should" be at....
As an example of this, tonight I am in a hotel and using what is not the greatest of hotel gyms (but hey, there is one, so no complaining on my part). So I'm wondering what to do and I think of a circuit-type workout, including using the machine bench. In addition to running, doing the stairmaster, pulldowns, and rows, I throw in a bench exercise (on an incline machine). Since I really don't ever bench -- really, I don't -- I threw out 20 reps of 150lb. LOL. I got through the first 15 and then realized I was going to hurt myself or have an hour-long workout. Neither is (was) the plan. So I dropped the weight to 100lb and kept the reps at 20. It was a little light, but not dramatically so.

Point being, is that if you never bench, or run the 100m, or throw shotput -- how the hell will you know if you are going to be shitty or good at it? Again, the dude might be benching 400lb, he's not to fault if he simply has never tried....
Old 6 June 2011, 22:28
Confirmed User

I know a number of guys who never bench... I would assume your core strength is fine.

If I was you I would find someone to show you technique.

I can still toss around 350 I don't work out that hard any more. I know the technique which helps with.about 30 to 40 lbs.

RO!!!
Old 6 June 2011, 22:49
Cat Lover Extraordinaire.....

AXman, best of luck to you. When I was getting ready for my WPPS FLETC PEB, I concentrated on strengthening my SUPPORTING muscles, bi ceps, tri ceps, back, shoulders. I used medium moderate weight to work with, and set my reps per set, and I did it minimum 3 times per week in the 7 days cycle. I made sure I ate, rested, and stretches, and I didn't think about it. I passed with flying colors benching my personal body weight and a shit load more. Bottom line is, GUY is right dont' set the minimum, have a number in your head that WAS your minimum and lift above it. Just concentrate making your supporting muscle groups for the bench press stronger.

Good Luck...to me it was a personal achievement in itself it took some guys to show me what to do. You don't have to lift hard, just lift smart....
Old 7 June 2011, 04:01
NKDA

Cool. Valid responses.

I can admit when I jump the gun and this is one of those times. I took your statement to mean: "I don't work out but I am going to for the next few weeks so I can pass this PT test and then I'm going to stop and return to being fat and lazy".

And we all know that wouldn't be the first time somebody has done that...and that type of attitude pisses me off to no extent.

My bad.
Old 7 June 2011, 04:22
Been There Done That

x 2 on support muscles and check out (Google) Dave Tate regarding improvement of your bench. Good luck.
Old 7 June 2011, 06:18
Make a desert and call it peace.

I've known more than a few gym rats who were fucking useless when it came time for the business. Since we don't fight with sword and axe anymore, not being a musclehead wouldn't be a flag to me. But then, I'm not hiring, so my opinion isn't worth much. As for the bench press, you can always do push ups or other body mass exercises anywhere at anytime, but I'd be in the gym at regular intervals just to provide a benchmark and rate of progress. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 7 June 2011, 08:21
Looking For Work

Went to the gym with a buddy and put up 225 with relative ease last night. Couple of the guys at the gym showed me some techniques, but I didn't want to push it, as I did a shit load of chest exercises the day before. I'm not as bad as I thought, but defiantly not putting up and huge numbers.

Thanks,

Ax
Old 7 June 2011, 08:55
Reverse Apache Master

Do lots and lots of push ups. And be sure to give your body time to rest/heal. No need to do a shitload of chest exercises one day and then max out on bench the next...unless you want to get injured.

What company are you going through the WPS course with and when do you start?

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 7 June 2011, 09:00
Living the dream

Keep in mind that depending on who is actually giving the test, you probably will not have free weights but will be on a machine. In my experience this will increase the amount of weight most folks are able to successfully bench press.

You also get multiple attempts on the BP; 3 I think.
Old 7 June 2011, 09:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
I just simply don't make it a hobby to bench or lift heavy weights so I can have big huge muscles.
The standard straight bar bench press is way overrated when it comes to so many aspects of strength and fitness. As I mentioned in another discussion on this topic there are Division I football programs I know of that use dumbells or the jammer machine and don't have their athletes do heavy bench presses at all. As long as you are working your upper body in a manner that will assist you in staying fit and doing your job that is sufficient.
Old 7 June 2011, 11:14
Authorized Personnel

After putting through 8-9 PSS classes I can tell you we have not lost a single candidate to the bench press. Its once up, and yes a couple have struggled, but no failures. we use a machine, and the consensus is it allows one to get up more weight than with a standard bar.

Now, quite a few have been unable to pass the 1.5 mile run, and quite a few have retested on the agility run.

Good luck to ya

Tripod
Old 8 June 2011, 02:13
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
After putting through 8-9 PSS classes I can tell you we have not lost a single candidate to the bench press. Its once up, and yes a couple have struggled, but no failures. we use a machine, and the consensus is it allows one to get up more weight than with a standard bar.

Now, quite a few have been unable to pass the 1.5 mile run, and quite a few have retested on the agility run.

Good luck to ya

Tripod
There were 2 dropped in my class. Given multiple chances even up to the day of graduation. From what I understand they were allowed to come back thru a leter course.

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 18 July 2011, 17:32
Confirmed User

My buddy had same concerns a month out from vetting. Great shape and not a lifter. I would much rather carry him, or pull him out of the drivers seat in a situation then some of the gym rats out there. I spent a whole rotation home going to the gym doing every bench workout I could think of with him. When he got there he eeked out his bench test with flying colors. Go to the gym now, and with someone who goes to the gym to help. give yourself at least 2 to 3 days rest before vetting. Good luck.

Our new posting rules