SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 28 January 2009, 14:58
Confirmed User

Any JROTC Instructors?

I was wondering if anyone does or has instructed JROTC. I'm a long way from being eligible but it seems pretty interesting. Was hoping for experiences from those who have done it.
Old 28 January 2009, 15:06
Old Scroll

Look closely at the pay structure.... if your'e retired Army, you'll have your retirement pay reduced by some fraction... not sure if this is still the case, but it was about four years ago when I got serious about starting down that trail.

Keep in mind, I'm in no way trying to dissuade you from what will be a VERY honorable and necessary job, one which forges the foundations for thousands and thousands of soldiers-to-be each and every year.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 28 January 2009, 15:11
Authorized Personnel

I looked into it a few years ago. Not sure if the Army & the Corps run it the same way. In the Corps, you get paid the same as you would make on active duty, including BAS, BAH, etc. Problem is that your retired salary is included in this figure, with the balance usually being split 50/50 between the local school and the DOD.

It sounds like it could be a great opportunity to work with HS kids, but the money just isn't there to support my family...
Old 28 January 2009, 15:20
Confirmed User

The website advises that that is the minimum instructor pay, and that most (I'll take that with a grain of salt) schools will pay more. But both of you are right, according to the official website it is all benefits, subtract your retirement pay.

I figured it is probably very rewarding work. Also you get that salary but several months off a year. Of course maybe the school just doesn't pay you during the time off...
Old 29 January 2009, 10:56
Been There Done That

Not sure if it has changed but the school board wants to pay the diffference between AD pay and your retirement pay.

it pissed me off because I've got a BA just like their other teachers- told them that they should pay me the same as the other teachers since I had already 'earned' my retirment. They were trying to get off as cheap as possible.
Old 30 January 2009, 16:16
Confirmed User

I did it for two years after retiring. Look at the support the school is providing for the program I had a couple of run in with the staff when cadets were shooting air rifle for training. They acted like I was training babay killers. Also if you are Navy like I am brush up on your drill stuff. The school system had to pay me at least what a Master Cheif on active duty would receive with BAQ, etc. I got a little more than that and spread the pay over 12 months. In the summer you still have to spend a lot of time with the program. Drill meets, Land Nav, Rifle meets and stuff like. 90 % of the kids were great the others I could of stuffed in a torpedo tube.
Old 30 January 2009, 17:12
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

James,

Speaking from experience on the other side of it - its worth every minute you give it. I spent 3 years in Marines Corps JROTC in high school during and after the Vietnam conflict. It was not a good time to be Pro-Military in any sense...but those were some of the best years of my life. I got to know some incredible Marines and learned things I could never have dreamed of. Our Senior Instructor turned out to be a Marine WWII Fighter Ace, with a Navy Cross. But we didnt know it at the time. 1Sgt Dailey was a "Chosin" Marine and a Vietnam Vet & a former DI at Parris Island. For three years these men were the center of my universe, I will never forget them. The respect that I have for them cant even be measured.

What you do and what you sacrifice to help young men & women grow up into is worth its weight in gold. I went back to High School a couple times while I was in the Navy to visit. It almost brings tears to my eyes to remember those men treating me with honor and respect once I wore the uniform. I told the up and coming cadets how important it was to listen to the Colonel and 1st Sgt because they knew what they were talking about.

I hope it works out for you when the time comes...
Old 1 February 2009, 10:22
Authorized Personnel

Concur with OldSwabbie.

I went through the JROTC program and it motivated me to join the Marine Corps -- well that and my Master Sergeant USMCR father.

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este

Our new posting rules