SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 12 May 2000, 09:55
Confirmed User

Smile Things to do when utterly exhausted...

Human beings act rather comically when very tired and now I`m asking what you`ve seen.

My own examples:
My friend told me that when he woke me up to stag turn, I just mumbled: "I can`t, I can`t"
and my friend asked why not: "I`m blind!"
My friend replied that I should take my watchcap off over my eyes... I haven`t any memories about this episode.

I`ve seen guys fell on sleep while skiing, it`s quite showy when skiing downhill with full equipment: "Where the hell is he going?" and in next moment the loose skier fell in snow.

Once I was keeping the tent`s stove hot and suddenly one of the sleepers went berserk, he started running while in sleeping bag and immediately he rammed to hot stove and almost collapsed whole tent. There was nice stove sized hole in his sleeping bag...
Old 12 May 2000, 11:33
Ranger002
Visitor

Brings to mind Wally Rakow the Mad Pisser...

Sgt ( now CSM ) Walter Rakow is an excellent example of a Ranger NCO. He used to dog me all the time and he tuaght me alot. Once in at JOTC in the Canal we had done one of those "stumble in de Jungle" night movements where it takes you all night and much effort to move 800 meters in the pitch black Jungle. As we settled in to our Patrol Base at around 03:00 Wally was exhausted. He was from the far north ( Minnisota I think ) and he did really well in the Arctic but the Jungle smoked him. 30 minutes after settling in most of the platoon was asleep. I was on first watch with my 60 and trying to stay awake when I heard a movement to my left. I heard the famous Rakow animal grunt ughhhh and I see someone standing up in the middle of the perimeter. Walter did all he could to move outside the PB but there he was standing with his johnson out pissing all over some other Rangers LOL. Poor dudes thought it was raining and I never had the heart to tell them it was yellow rain LOL :-). As for me I have done it all... the cokebush tree LOL following "ranger eyes" off to the hinterlands...walking in circles you name it Ol'Stumblefoot has done it LOL
William Hazen B 2/75 Ranger 1979-82
Old 12 May 2000, 15:04
Confirmed User

I was on a 4 man recce, we were looking for a place to set up the weapons det for a coming raid on an old WWII coastal bunker. We'd gone more than 24hrs no sleep, pissing rain, cold, you get the picture. The sgt left 2 guys to set up an OP, me and him crawled forward to do an close inspection. When we got close enough, we could hear movement and some soft whispers from inside. We slithered around real slow, getting a good picture of the defenses, layout, etc. At one point a patrol was coming out so we froze, and waited for them to pass. This seemed like forever, everything was in slow motion. After an eon, we crawled forward right into the position! I couldn't believe it! the Sgt must be nuts, I thought, but here we were, sneaking right by all these guys like ghosts. I was gathering all kinds of intel, weapons, range cards, etc. Man this is great! They were looking right at me but not seeing me......"ok, let's go" I heard the sgt whisper in my ear. I had fallen asleep as the patrol was passing and was dreaming the whole thing! We wound up doing a good recce of the position, but I felt even more tired because it felt like I had done it twice. I told the sgt later, he said my eyes had been open all the time.
Old 13 May 2000, 13:05
Confirmed User

Question

Mr. Hazen:
I`m just a stupid European and the English is the best of my three foreign languages which I speak, but where comes the acronym LOL?

Otherwise, good stories Hazen and Tony!!
Old 13 May 2000, 22:58
Ranger002
Visitor

SNOW,
L ots Of L aughter
What nationality are you? Can you tell us a few tall tales of life in the All WOMAN Swedish Special Forces?

"There I was....Knee deep in Panties!!! :-)
LOL...
William Hazen B 2/75 Ranger C 3/12 SFGA (R)
Old 14 May 2000, 07:14
Confirmed User

Mr. Hazen:

Well, maybe I can reveal that I`m a Finn.
I heard a wonderful rumour: Swedish conscripts can use hairnets(so he don`t have cut his beautiful long hair) and earrings while in duty.
Maybe Reconsweden can affirm this I wonder why he hasn`t ever mention this?
The Swedes are afterall good neighbours, a lot better than Russians but not as good as Norwegians... LOL
Old 14 May 2000, 16:40
Ranger002
Visitor

Ahh Sisu Snow :-),

I have a friend who lives in Lappland. He and I practice Aikido under Shoji Nishio Sensei and you Finns love Aikido. Nishio Sensei's favorite Dojo in Europe is in Helsinki. Ari Imponen is his name. Also Finnish Woman are some of the most beautiful in the world ( and a well kept secret :-)) I am hoping to visit Ari in the summer of 2001.Welcome to the list...
William Hazen
I have met a few ex-members of your Armed Forces and boy you guys can do some incredible things.
Old 15 May 2000, 14:42
Confirmed User

Mr. Hazen:
Thanks for compliments *blushed*.
Yeah, our women are pretty, but they are so demanding and so stubborn.
Hey, my sister is twenty, pretty and and still single(I`ve always wanted that there is a ranger in family!!!), but I have to warn you: my biggest scars are made by her when fighting at childhood: "The axe caused this scar, the spike made this, but this big one is from my sister!"
Old 15 May 2000, 22:07
Confirmed User

Just a note on female Swedish soldiers.. =o)

Talked to an officer who did a tour in Cyprus. Apparently the best part was the Swedish troops... watching them doing PT, playing volleyball... watching them on the nude beaches. All the 18 yr old-never left their town before-soldiers used up dozens of rolls of film taking pictures of just sunbathing Swedes..

Enfield
Old 16 May 2000, 18:30
Confirmed User

Guy:
I`m not qualified to answer to your question, because I don`t have sufficent experience about non-European women (only met three American women)
BTW: I strongly recommended Polish and Lithuanian women, they are beeeeautiful!!

Unbelievable how everything always turns to women... What was the original topic? I expand it to strange&comical things:

At basic training we skied to remote forest area and started to dig in and making defensive positions. There was dark already and we went through the snow and frozen soil. Then the guy from other squad asks for flashlight, he had found something strange.
It`s a large wooden box, he felt it in the darkness, he opens it... What is this, its soft and feels like fur...Then the flashlight arrives. Aargh!! It was a dead dog. Poor dog, someone had buried his hunting dog in really remote and peaceful place and really deep, then comes a bunch of grunts and started to dig their trench right on the dog...
Old 16 May 2000, 20:25
Ranger002
Visitor

Snow,
Thanks for offering your sister...Alas I have nothing to trade of like value which makes me very sad...I've always wanted a woman who could knock me out:-).
Are you still in your Armed Forces and what is it like to be a Sisu?
William Hazen
Spec Ops soldiers only talk about four things amongst themselves and all of these subjects begin with the letter S. If you answer all four correctly Snow you will get a big surprise :-)
Old 17 May 2000, 08:38
Tuukka
Visitor

I am also Finnish. My friend told me a story
which happened during his military service here. There was one sergeant who did all kind s of windups, one was that on a skiing
march he passed the others dressed as Santa Claus
Old 17 May 2000, 12:02
reconsweden
Visitor

No earrings or rings on fingers and the only soldiers that use hairnets are cooks.

If I should tell all that I´ve heard about the Finn´s...

Could tell a lot of funny stories from the field, in recon, lack of sleep and food is not uncommon, but I have´nt got time right now, gotta help a friend.

Swedish women....mmmmm...did I mention that my friend is female?

BTW. I have great respect for the armed forces of Finland, let me know when your charging east and I´ll tag along with a few friends

------------------
Videre Non Videri
Old 17 May 2000, 17:03
Confirmed User

Mr. Hazen:
Nope, I`m not in FDF anymore, but in cruel and remorseless university world. I cannot answer to your 4S-question, because I`ve nothing special or fancy skills, just ordinary cannon fodder. Been in forest once or twice, seen a couple of explosions and sometimes sat in aircraft.
An ad: when you come to Finland, you`ve to visit our War Museum in Helsinki, e.g. it has a nice collection of Russian units`(R.I.P.) flags and all of the Larry Thorne`s medals and his SF certificates.

Reconsweden:
Didn`t mean anything nasty. Without Swedish volunteer unit in Lapland, we couldn`t had moved so many our troops to south to stop Russians` breakthrough attempt there at spring 1940.
Old 18 May 2000, 07:04
reconsweden
Visitor

Snow:
I know you didn´t mean anything, I just wrote a quick reply and I guess it sounded like I was offended but that is not the case.
You would´nt happend to be a former "gränsjägare"? Don´t know what it´s called in finnish and using english sound really wierd but a great number of finns speak a little swedish so I hope you understand.

There were many swedes who wanted to go up and help you guys during WWII but since were "neutral" they had to sneek up, the ones who joined Waffen SS did so because they thought they were gonna be sent to Finland but then they were sent to the east front and the rest is history...

Met a "gränsjägare" from Finland and we swapped stories for a while and it seems that we have quite similar mil forces.

Enfield:

It was kinda interesting the first time we showered when we had just started our military service because there was a gorgeous girl(elite gymnast...) in the next platoon but same corridor and since we all share showers...lets just say that we all had somewhere to hang our towels

BTW: In recon our job is to observe while staying hidden. In Sweden there are a lot of nice women...need I say more...

------------------
Videre Non Videri

[This message has been edited by reconsweden (edited 05-18-2000).]
Old 18 May 2000, 16:55
Confirmed User

Reconsweden:
Jag pratar svenska, tycker jag...
Gränsjägäre is "rajajääkäri", Frontier Guard in English. FG is part of FDF only in case of war, normally it belongs to Ministry of the Interior and thus have a better equipment than FDF generally. FG trains a tiny lot of conscripts every year, practically all of them live nearly Russian border.
I`m not a "rajajääkäri" but at last year I was in refreshment exercise against them, they really surprised me and almost snatched me as prisoner... If you are interested, check http://www.mil.fi/tiedotus/julkaisut/index.html click "Ruotsiksi" to get Swedish language.
Old 19 May 2000, 09:46
reconsweden
Visitor

Snow,

Excellent info in that PDF file, the pics suck but the doc would be huge if the they were high quality.
Won´t even try to pronounce the finnish word, the only finnish I know is "får ej övertäckas" but I don´t know how to spell it so I won´t Did know "sluta kasta salta kex på mig" and "mycket snö och ingen ficklampa" but I forgot them, to bad, they are sooooo useful lines...
Don´t think we have that kind of info in finnish though.

------------------
Videre Non Videri

[This message has been edited by reconsweden (edited 05-19-2000).]

Our new posting rules