SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 30 January 2013, 22:40

Wounded SF Warrior Needs Your Help

Hoping you guys will spread the word and encourage people to donate to his family.

http://routeclearance.blogspot.com/2...sso-liber.html
Old 31 January 2013, 04:05
Authorized Personnel

Is this a friend of yours?

I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way, but I'm confused on why financial support is needed. Between the Wounded Warrior Foundation, The Green Beret Foundation, as well as the VA, this family should be set.

Safety is binary - Security is emotional
Old 31 January 2013, 07:43
Been There Done That

As Maverick staed, there are several groups that provide assistance. I was briefed last week by the SOCOM Care Coalition and the tremendous work that they do. Ironically, I had dinner two nights later with a Soldier that is paralyzed from the neck down. He mentioned several times the care provided by the care coalition and other groups.

The care coalition's goal is to take care of the Soldiers for life and to assist with the family members. I was impressed as I spoke to the wife of the paralyzed Soldier-the assistance provided to her was invaluable.

So, I am confused as well as what the family/Soldier is in need of. He will be taken care of. I am concerned though of the scum out there that try and solicit monies for Soldiers that never make it to the Soldier or his family.

The Bragg care coalition rep is an acquaintance of mine. I will see if he is aware of this Soldiers situation.
Old 31 January 2013, 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Is this a friend of yours?

I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way, but I'm confused on why financial support is needed. Between the Wounded Warrior Foundation, The Green Beret Foundation, as well as the VA, this family should be set.
His family is with him at Walter Reed, which means his wife isn't earning the income she was with her job at Campbell before she left. Furthermore, The GBF only supplies the initial C3 fund of around $1k to get to family to a wounded Soldiers bedside and after that, you're on your own. Wounded Warrior on the other hand is a different story entirely. They will never supply much needed cash to anyone for any reason. In fact, I stopped donating to them last year after reading a Charity Watch review in which they scored a D- after it was discovered that only around 37% of its 74+ million in annual revenue was going to vets, and a lot of it was on clothes like WWP t-shirts or on job placement programs.

I'd encourage anyone that still donates to them to do their own research. They'll certainly never get another cent from me.

VA assistance for active duty personnel is also limited. Primarily because if you're still on AD the VA can't do much to help you... because, well, you're still on AD. They were told about the FA-SGLI which will provide much needed support, but wading through the ridiculous amount of paperwork and the months and months it takes to get anything processed doesn't help matters.

If people are apprehensive about donating then don't do it. If anyone wants his contact info I supply it, or you could contact 5th Group directly and speak with the PAO. They'll verify the situation.
Old 31 January 2013, 07:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinw3 View Post
As Maverick staed, there are several groups that provide assistance. I was briefed last week by the SOCOM Care Coalition and the tremendous work that they do. Ironically, I had dinner two nights later with a Soldier that is paralyzed from the neck down. He mentioned several times the care provided by the care coalition and other groups.

The care coalition's goal is to take care of the Soldiers for life and to assist with the family members. I was impressed as I spoke to the wife of the paralyzed Soldier-the assistance provided to her was invaluable.

So, I am confused as well as what the family/Soldier is in need of. He will be taken care of. I am concerned though of the scum out there that try and solicit monies for Soldiers that never make it to the Soldier or his family.

The Bragg care coalition rep is an acquaintance of mine. I will see if he is aware of this Soldiers situation.
I appreciate it Ken. Would you like his contact info and that of his brother that set up the donation site?
Old 31 January 2013, 12:13
Authorized Personnel

I really won't get into my opinions on the various orgs offering support out there. However I will make one small observation -

When I was on a contract in Afghanistan in '05 a young E-7 SF friend of mine was KIA in Helmand. He had a three year old and a newborn. When I got the news I passed the hat at my camp in order to send some cash to his widow for out of pocket expenses. I collected about $1100. More than once I had guys say to me "He has a shitload of life insurance, why should I give".

In a way there is some truth to that I guess. But I would try to get them to look at it this way. Wether a KIA or WIA the family is going through a ton of heartbreak. In situations like that no amount of money is really enough, and with travel, lodging, etc it will really go fast. It is really more of a GESTURE .... honoring the sacrifice of the service member and the family, versus making any big impact. Some people are wired to feel good about a such a gesture, some aren't. If you aren't, and do not feel such a sense of duty or obligation then don't contribute.

It took about 8 months (I was unable to go to the funeral) - but I received a very emotional and heartfelt hand written thank you note about what a difference the money made, and more importantly how much the thought/gesture meant to her.

Just thought I'd share that FWIW
Old 31 January 2013, 12:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
your post...
Re shitload of life insurance - Some (not all) life insurance policies won't pay off for under certain circumstances like being killed while racing cars, racing boats, killed in small plane crash, etc. If it doesn't pay out, how much they have/had makes no difference.

In addition, sometimes bank accounts and monies are frozen following a death. It sucks for a family to be strapped for cash trying to pay monthly expenses and funeral expenses while waiting for estate issues to be hashed out and waiting for insurance to pay off.

Bless you for honoring the memory of your friend by helping his family get thru the hard times.
Old 31 January 2013, 14:02
RIP SOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetCord View Post
Hoping you guys will spread the word and encourage people to donate to his family.

http://routeclearance.blogspot.com/2...sso-liber.html
I appreciate the notification. I like to do this whenever possible. It's nice to have the option to show monetary support when geographical distance limits available options.
Old 1 February 2013, 00:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetCord View Post
I appreciate it Ken. Would you like his contact info and that of his brother that set up the donation site?
I contacted the care coalition rep at Bragg this morning and haven't gotten a response yet. As stated in a response above, the gesture of support is huge to a family and the Soldier himself. PM me the contact info for the Soldier and I can ensure it gets to the care coalition rep.

Brief from care Coalition last week and follow on meeting/dinner I had with a WW, I was led to believe that Soldiers and their family are extended numerous resources to aid in situations as you described. An advocate is assigned that assists with the monumental amount of admin work and the organization taps into several charitable organizations/individuals to assist families and Soldiers. That was validated to me with the WW I met later as he and his wife spoke highly of the care and assistance they had received. One thing the care coalition NCOIC briefed was that they could only follow up with Soldiers/families that they had visibility on. I am led to wonder if they are tracking this Soldier. If not, when you PM me his contact info, I will forward it to them.

FWIW, I was not implying that the blog for support was shady as I didn't gather from the OP that you were connected to this Soldier. I've seen and read about fraudulent attempts using Soldiers name/status to make money and wanted to be cautious.

Hopefully we can get this Soldier in touch with the right people. As the care Coalition briefed me last week, the components have their specific organizations to assist the wounded. Care Coalition attempts to empower them and provide assistance to SOF Soldiers for life when the reach of the components organizations are exhausted by either time, regulations, or reach.

KW3
Old 1 February 2013, 15:13

Quote:
I contacted the care coalition rep at Bragg this morning and haven't gotten a response yet. As stated in a response above, the gesture of support is huge to a family and the Soldier himself. PM me the contact info for the Soldier and I can ensure it gets to the care coalition rep.

Brief from care Coalition last week and follow on meeting/dinner I had with a WW, I was led to believe that Soldiers and their family are extended numerous resources to aid in situations as you described. An advocate is assigned that assists with the monumental amount of admin work and the organization taps into several charitable organizations/individuals to assist families and Soldiers. That was validated to me with the WW I met later as he and his wife spoke highly of the care and assistance they had received. One thing the care coalition NCOIC briefed was that they could only follow up with Soldiers/families that they had visibility on. I am led to wonder if they are tracking this Soldier. If not, when you PM me his contact info, I will forward it to them.

FWIW, I was not implying that the blog for support was shady as I didn't gather from the OP that you were connected to this Soldier. I've seen and read about fraudulent attempts using Soldiers name/status to make money and wanted to be cautious.

Hopefully we can get this Soldier in touch with the right people. As the care Coalition briefed me last week, the components have their specific organizations to assist the wounded. Care Coalition attempts to empower them and provide assistance to SOF Soldiers for life when the reach of the components organizations are exhausted by either time, regulations, or reach.

KW3
Shot you his contact info.
Old 2 February 2013, 10:27
Been There Done That

Had couple phone conversations discussing SFC Gillette yesterday. It was confirmed to me that he is being tracked on the SOCOM Care Coalition data base. They identified to me the monetary contributions made by both the SOWF and GBF to date. Very minimal. I later received 2 emails from SOCOM CC and a LCDR intervened to see who was the assigned advocate and what degree of assistance has been provided to the Soldier and his family.

I sent the blog link and hopefully the emails passed over the last 2 days will result in communication and further assistance.

I got the PM from DetCord and will contact the Soldeir next week to see status.
Old 3 February 2013, 00:46
BTDT

Quote:
Had couple phone conversations discussing SFC Gillette yesterday. It was confirmed to me that he is being tracked on the SOCOM Care Coalition data base. They identified to me the monetary contributions made by both the SOWF and GBF to date. Very minimal. I later received 2 emails from SOCOM CC and a LCDR intervened to see who was the assigned advocate and what degree of assistance has been provided to the Soldier and his family.

I sent the blog link and hopefully the emails passed over the last 2 days will result in communication and further assistance.

I got the PM from DetCord and will contact the Soldeir next week to see status.
When I saw Josh a few weeks ago, he said that the SOCOM CC was going very good work and the that WWF was essentially worthless.

Thankfully, he's headed back this direction next week.

Our new posting rules