SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 18 March 2013, 20:26

Allergies that can keep you out of SF?

Afternoon,

I had a quick question in regards to something that can keep you out of the military/ special forces. I went and talked to a recruiter the other day and told him that I wanted to take the PST for Pararescue. As we were talking I brought up the fact that I have a Penicillin allergy and he stated that this would keep me out of the military all together altho I havent seen it listed anywhere on any website or other forum stating that this allergy would keep you out of the military. If this isnt true and I can still get into the military with the allergy will it keep me out of SF? I am just looking for some clarification and if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 18 March 2013, 20:33
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt6116 View Post
As we were talking I brought up the fact that I have a Penicillin allergy and he stated that this would keep me out of the military all together altho I havent seen it listed anywhere on any website or other forum stating that this allergy would keep you out of the military. If this isnt true and I can still get into the military with the allergy will it keep me out of SF?
I am allergic to PCN, and I have been in US Army Special Forces for 17 years, and the Army knew before I enlisted that I had the allergy. I can't speak for USAF Pararescue.

Recommend you speak to a different recruiter.
Old 18 March 2013, 21:48
Been There Done That

Not true unless you were intubated / resuscitated secondary to anaphylaxis from PCN; And then you would need a waiver. Not from the PCN allergy, but from the intubation and resuscitation. Otherwise, not an issue.
Old 19 March 2013, 01:14

Ive only just had an allergy too it.... I never had a full blown anaphylaxic reaction. I just get rashes and a little bit of swelling in the face and hands. My hope was that this wasnt going to keep me out of the SF community. I have an appointment with my doctor soon to have a test to see if im still allergic or not seeing as how its been a few years.
Old 21 March 2013, 03:31
Been There Done That

I had full blown clonic tonic seizures when I came in contact with a reflective belt ..and the mention of NCOES schools make me break out in hives (I carry an epi pen and a cortical-steroid with me every where I go) ... I had to sneak away to the guard to reduce my exposure

... my resistance is increasing but I must take caution when interacting with them... or maybe its just the flora that grows on ardennes
Old 21 March 2013, 10:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrb929 View Post
I had full blown clonic tonic seizures when I came in contact with a reflective belt ..and the mention of NCOES schools make me break out in hives (I carry an epi pen and a cortical-steroid with me every where I go) ... I had to sneak away to the guard to reduce my exposure

... my resistance is increasing but I must take caution when interacting with them... or maybe its just the flora that grows on ardennes
Buffer wax does the same thing to me. Trick is to premedicate.
Old 21 March 2013, 19:56
Been There Done That

I'm fairly certain I'm allergic to Camp Mackall...
Old 22 March 2013, 09:43
"We're all bad in someone's story...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'MisterWhite' View Post
I'm fairly certain I'm allergic to Camp Mackall...
I'm not allergic to CM however, SERE is another story...

Good luck young man and stay safe.
Old 22 March 2013, 18:35
Rocket Man

I would say being allergic to work would take you out of the running!

Our new posting rules