SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 30 November 2008, 23:02
MSG Dman
Visitor

Any guitar players?

I am kind of a guitar freak, and also a Van Halen nut, so I set out to make an exact replica of the Frankenstrat. I think I came pretty close, I just put some finishing touches on today, aging it to look like Eddies. I even have a 1971D quarter mounted on it. All together it cost me about $800 to build it from scratch, the replica goes for 25K.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 30 November 2008, 23:07
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

Damn nice Strat...

I have a 72 Strat and a 75 Les Paul (Gibson) custom.... but my favorite of all is my Ibanez RG-7, just because i can shred on it with out worring about tearing up a 5K guitar...

BTW: that quilt top in the back ground is pretty wicked.

Last edited by Okie75; 30 November 2008 at 23:08. Reason: ETA: the noticed the Gnarley Quilt top...
Old 30 November 2008, 23:14
MSG Dman
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostha2008 View Post
Damn nice Strat...

I have a 72 Strat and a 75 Les Paul (Gibson) custom.... but my favorite of all is my Ibanez RG-7, just because i can shred on it with out worring about tearing up a 5K guitar...

BTW: that quilt top in the back ground is pretty wicked.
Its a PRS SE Single cut, the cheaper Korean made PRS, if it was an American made model it would cost 3K, they are nice for the price, they go for $599.
Old 30 November 2008, 23:19
Psi Brr
Visitor

I have too many guitars... and a really nice banjo
Old 30 November 2008, 23:26
MSG Dman
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Brr View Post
I have too many guitars... and a really nice banjo
Same here, I have a Deering Sierra Banjo that I use for Bluegrass.
Old 30 November 2008, 23:38

Are the pickups reverse wound and hand dipped in wax to prevent unwanted feedback?:D

Devil is in the details. LOL

Nice looking guitar. Doesn't Charvel make a EVH copy for around $1000?
Old 30 November 2008, 23:55
Confirmed User

Went to school for classical guitar, own a Ramirez 1E. Haven't taken out a loan to pay for my guitar, unlike some of my friends.

Electric players just confuse me with their talk of gadgetry.
Old 1 December 2008, 00:19
shiver me timbers

I just picked up an epiphone korina Vee with upgraded pickups, SD in the neck and vintage gibson humbucker in the bridge, as well as the obligatory updated switch and pots needed on epiphones. It plays well and is my current favorite, I got it off ebay for 280 bucks, I think mostly because the pic sucked.
Old 1 December 2008, 01:06
MSG Dman
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb23 View Post
Are the pickups reverse wound and hand dipped in wax to prevent unwanted feedback?:D

Nice looking guitar. Doesn't Charvel make a EVH copy for around $1000?
The Charvel is not a Frankenstrat, it is simply an art series EVH color pattern guitar. Still looks nice, but not like the original. I thought about dropping the Duncan 78 pickup in it, supposedly it is exactly like the one EVH used, but it is pricey, I dropped a Duncan 59 in it instead.

This is what the Art Series looked like:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...RWXGB&ZYXSEM=0
Old 1 December 2008, 01:11
MSG Dman
Visitor

This is what it will cost to buy one done up exactly like the original, it is an obscene amount of money, so I copied this one:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=513703

Click on a close up of the guitar and then compare it to what I made for 24K less.
Old 1 December 2008, 01:47
Voodoo guru

I don't know if "player" is appropriate. Abuser might be more fitting, especially now.

Fantastic job on that EVH!! If ya get the urge to off load it in the future... :D

I had quite a few guitars up until last year. I destroyed most of the tendons in my left arm, and am just now picking the guitar back up. No coordination, strength or endurance, so it's like starting from square one.

I am a huge EVH, and Petrucci fan. I used to be a fan of Zakk Wylde up until he swindled a bunch of his fans. So much so that I made one helluva copy of his camo Les Paul. I also had a Frankenstrat replica that I made as well, although, I didn't do as good a job as you did on yours. A buddy of mine wrote a book on painting guitars with spraypaint, and damn it worked...

So I've got this Les Paul knock off that I am deciding what to do with. My buddy that wrote the book I mentioned gets them from the same Chinese factor that makes the new Epiphones, so the quality is quite good.

With my Petrucci.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 1 December 2008, 06:53
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb23 View Post
Nice Job DMan! The big difference between yours and the one shown for $25K is the cigarette burns...so all you need now is a lit Marlboro Red!:D

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 1 December 2008, 11:53
Administrator

Here is mine....ESP Custom, Crate Amp, Line 6 POD-XT effects. I mostly play around on my acoustic though, which is an Ibanez PF-5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eclipse-CTM_STBC.jpg (22.1 KB, 487 views)
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 1 December 2008, 12:33
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Here is mine....ESP Custom, Crate Amp, Line 6 POD-XT effects. I mostly play around on my acoustic though, which is an Ibanez PF-5.
You have the ESP version, not the LTD?

Interestingly enough, the surgeon that fixed my arm is a guitar player and said that picking the guitar back up would actually be good therapy for my arm. And he specifically mentioned the ESP version of your guitar because of a flat and wide neck.

So my question more specifically would be, is the neck indeed flat and wide? I already know that would be good for me. The acoustic that I have is a finger style Masterbuilt from Epiphone (one helluva bang for the buck BTW), and it has a wide fingerboard, and it works well for me.

Old 1 December 2008, 13:02
Banned 26FEB10

This thread reminds me of when I was in Montgomery, AL for about 4 weeks. I was staying in a hotel, with little to do evenings and weekends. I decided to enrich myself by learning to play guitar. I ended up buying a guitar and a beginners video lesson series from Les Paul and headed straight back to my hotel.

I was fine and making great progress for the first three days. Then, it got interesting... I was supposed to start putting my fingers in positions that I swear I would have had to be double-jointed to be able to reach. I kept on trying, stretching and bending the digits into contortions that were almost, but not quite attainable. I was proud of myself for my efforts.

Then I woke up the next day. I think only a Fentanyl drip would have helped with the pain I was feeling in all of the fingers on my left hand. That pain lasted for two or three days.

I then went back and tried again. Same result. I kept that shit up for the remainder of my time, stuck on lesson 4 or 5, I believe it was.... When I could get my fingers to hit the notes, there would be a 15 second pause until I was able to stop the spasms that seemed to reach up to my shoulder so I could go back and realign my fingers for the next chord, which was one of the easiest ones.

For the duration of that trip, my left hand was like that of an arthritic 90 year old woman.

I finally came to the conclusion that among all of the other subtypes of people in the world, there is yet another subtype-people meant to play the guitar, and people who aren't. Short of some sort of tendon surgery, I was going to be in the latter category.

When I got home, I shelved the guitar until my then-7 year old daughter wanted a guitar to play rock star with.

I admire the heck out of people who can bend their fingers into contortions sufficient to be able to play. That is one nice looking guitar.
Old 1 December 2008, 14:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
You have the ESP version, not the LTD?

Interestingly enough, the surgeon that fixed my arm is a guitar player and said that picking the guitar back up would actually be good therapy for my arm. And he specifically mentioned the ESP version of your guitar because of a flat and wide neck.

So my question more specifically would be, is the neck indeed flat and wide? I already know that would be good for me. The acoustic that I have is a finger style Masterbuilt from Epiphone (one helluva bang for the buck BTW), and it has a wide fingerboard, and it works well for me.

Well I think it is flat and wide, but I dont have enough experience with other guitars that I would say take my word for it that it's what you're looking for. It's easy on the fingers for sure. I honestly dont play it very much. I bought it because a good friend offered it to me for a steal with the Line 6 and Crate amp included. I still consider myself a beginner but I figured I would want an electric someday when I actually move beyond strumming so I went ahead and got it while I could. I'm sort of at the point now that I think I need some formal lessons so I can get into something beyond strumming major chords.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 1 December 2008, 14:58
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Well I think it is flat and wide, but I dont have enough experience with other guitars that I would say take my word for it that it's what you're looking for. It's easy on the fingers for sure. I honestly dont play it very much. I bought it because a good friend offered it to me for a steal with the Line 6 and Crate amp included. I still consider myself a beginner but I figured I would want an electric someday when I actually move beyond strumming so I went ahead and got it while I could. I'm sort of at the point now that I think I need some formal lessons so I can get into something beyond strumming major chords.
Understood... I love the looks of it better than a typical Les Paul, I'm certainly going to check one out. Never heard a bad thing about your guitar.

As for lesson, interestingly enough, I found a site online that has outstanding training. I learn by seeing and hearing, so this site is great. Worth every penny.
Disclaimer:I have nothing to do with this site other than being very satisfied with the lessons I've been able to get from it.

http://www.guitartricks.com/main.php

Old 1 December 2008, 14:59
On the Extract Bird

Nice guitars! I'm looking for a good, used Ernie Ball EVH.
Old 1 December 2008, 16:40
Authorized Personnel

I've played for 15+ years and love it to death. I have owned many guitars over the years but currently I am only in possesion of a single acoustic and electric, nothing of obscene value but not cheapo ones either. I will try to get some pics up.
Old 1 December 2008, 17:51
Confirmed User

That's some nice work. Is this your first build?

If for nothing more than fairness and balance in this thread, I submit my humble working arsenal:

Electric:
American Standard Tele
Gretsch 5150
Rickenbacker 330MG

Acoustic:
Taylor 410
'74 Guild D-25

Our new posting rules