SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 6 December 2003, 20:14

Reporting in

18x ship out March 2, '04
Thanks for the thread.
Old 9 December 2003, 11:38
Probationary User

I just got a call from my recruiter. Apparently his company commander says all 18X's have to take the APFT by next week(mid December), if they plan on shipping out in March. This is due to failures of some recruiting stations to make 18X's do the PT test before they ship out. Just wanted to give a heads up to other 18X guys shipping out in the coming months, keep up with your PT.
-Will
Old 10 December 2003, 02:14

I report to Benning for OSUT Jan. 5th (same date as Royalsof) and have been training with the 3/172 Infantry (Mountain) since the spring.

Anyone have any bright ideas on how we can identify eachother at Benning? I have a feeling the drills won't like it if we holler out "SOCNET!!" during first formation...
Old 10 December 2003, 02:18
Confirmed User

Look for the shaved heads and the secret squirrel handshake.
Old 10 December 2003, 23:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally posted by Noah
...Anyone have any bright ideas on how we can identify eachother at Benning? I have a feeling the drills won't like it if we holler out "SOCNET!!" during first formation...
Try this for a bright idea: Be the Grey Man and keep your mouth shut. If you survive the 18X track, you'll have plenty of time in the next nine months to find each other.
Old 11 December 2003, 15:31

Noah,
I'm 18x as well but I won't be advertising that at OSUT. No reason to, except to draw attention to yourself. I'll be just another recruit learning how to be a solider. At this point there is no difference between 18x and 11b or any other designation so let's not try to distinguish ourselves. When you get to Reception, my understanding is that you'll have plenty of time to talk with other recruits and find out what you want to know about them.
Old 11 December 2003, 15:51
Probationary User

Quote:
Originally posted by Weazle23
Noah,
I'm 18x as well but I won't be advertising that at OSUT. No reason to, except to draw attention to yourself. I'll be just another recruit learning how to be a solider. At this point there is no difference between 18x and 11b or any other designation so let's not try to distinguish ourselves. When you get to Reception, my understanding is that you'll have plenty of time to talk with other recruits and find out what you want to know about them.
Concur. Well said.
Old 11 December 2003, 21:05

Guys, I hope you all detected the obvious sarcasm in my previous post -- I was not suggesting saying ANYTHING about 18X status or SOCNET. Just the opposite, in fact.

Just wanted to clarify.
Old 12 December 2003, 13:00
Butt Plug

guys, basic is the worst part of all of your training. the reason why...because of the down time and the lack of motivation from everyone else. after you get through it everything will be alot more fun. pieces of shit are everywhere at benning. just have fun and fit in. don't run your mouth too much. and try not to get that "i just made it through basic training, i can kill all, i'm better than everyone else" attitude. basic is nothing. after basic is when it gets hard and you start to get rolling. concentrate on pt and pay attention to land navigation. good luck to you and i hope the best for all of you. remember...there are many types of type A personalities. some choose to tell you they're great and some choose to prove they are great. which one are you?
Old 12 December 2003, 19:01
FNG

Good luck you guys. I wish I could join yall, but the Army says my refraction is too risky for my health and the health of others. I'm going to enlist as 12B (Combat Engineer), sign-up for eye surgery, and put in my packet when I make E4.
Old 12 December 2003, 21:47
Authorized Personnel

Slapme:

Was your refractory too bad for an 11-X? Just curious why you are choosing a 12 series MOS as opposed to any other. I am not making a judgment about your choice, just curious as to your thinking.

In any instance I am glad you are still focused and are still persuing a goal.

James D
Old 12 December 2003, 22:02
FNG

The army measured my refraction/diopter at -8.25 or 20/400 uncorrected which failed the Army's req's of - or + 8.0 I was able to approved for a waiver to get into the Army with my refraction, but the req's for Airborne and SF require no worse than -/+ 8.0 per the AR-401

So I had to get approval for Airborne and SFAS training per 18x contract. My application when all the way from MEPS to the offices of Special Operations in NC or so my recruiter says. The personel reviewed my physical and gave me a DQ and gave me the option to get eye surgery as a civilian or join up and get it with them.

Does this make sense?
Old 12 December 2003, 22:19
FNG

Bah, for some reason I get 11x confused as a Ranger contract. I PM'd you with a clearer answer.
Old 13 December 2003, 11:26
Amante
Visitor

Ship: 2004 May 4
Start: 2004 May 14

Looking forward to the challenges ahead of me.
Old 13 December 2003, 11:32
NEW TO SOCNET

Hey, here's a free tip for you slugs:

There will come times, when you have a minute to think, that you'll be wondering "Did I make a terrible mistake by doing this?" It usually happens at night and you'll start thinking of reasons to chuck it in. It happens when you're really tired, and confused, cold, wet and fed up.

It wasn't a mistake.

Unless you quit.

The US Constitution is not a suicide pact.

If you miss your ex frequently, consider better optics for your rifle.

"The baby will be slippery, if you drop it don't stare, PICK IT UP !!!" - OB/GYN Wisdom
Old 13 December 2003, 12:47

Invaluable information Sir, Thank you.

Regards,
Matt
Old 14 December 2003, 05:58
Probationary User

DANG

SNEAKY SF !!

Well said! I have been thinking of that all day.
"Only a mistake if you quit."

PRICELESS!! I got wood.
Old 15 December 2003, 01:38

Sneaky, and other BTDT's,
Thank-you very much, seriously, for the invaluable insights and information you have posted. I have learned so much from this forum. I feel every young guy smart enough to take this forum seriously will go into the Army much better equipped. And, hopefully, not with...an attitude at all, but that of humility and respect. Key concepts like the "Grey Man" and "your mind will quit before your body will" are huge! Thanks again,
Wes
Old 15 December 2003, 05:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally posted by Sneaky SF Dude
Hey, here's anther free tip for you slugs:

There will come times, when you have a minute to think, that you'll be wondering...
"...why the hell didn't I take the Blue Pill?"
Old 17 December 2003, 03:19
Confirmed User

I'll take the red one...

and stay in Wonderland to see how deep the rabbit hole goes...

Our new posting rules