SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Special Operations Tributes

Old 5 September 2013, 23:27
Old Scroll

911 -- The Seaborne Evacuation of Lower Manhattan

This is a very interesting story that I'd never heard before... it just didn't get any press, I suppose.

Tom Hanks narrates the story of the impromptu evacuation of a half million souls from lower Manhattan by boat in just one day.

Simply unbelievable, the events that transpired that day.
Old 6 September 2013, 07:26
RIP SOTB, CASS

It did around here. The maritime community truly came together that day. The number of boats of all sizes and shapes was amazing to see. Caveat, I saw them only in pictures afterwards as I was otherwise engaged and couldn't see the water from my position.
Old 6 September 2013, 08:38
Authorized

Truly outstanding. Thanks for posting this.
Old 6 September 2013, 10:52
All Labs Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack78 View Post
It did around here...I saw them only in pictures afterwards as I was otherwise engaged and couldn't see the water from my position.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack78 View Post
The maritime community truly came together that day.
Amid all the carnage, there was a truly remarkable collective of New Yorkers that stepped up in many manner of ways. While the first responders have rightfully gained recognition, countless numbers of regular Joes and Janes responded admirably.

One simple memory, and one of the more positive ones from that day, is a pick-up truck heading south scooping up regular people along the way. Working guys, suits and ties, shop keepers and guys who looked like they probably never had a legit job piling in or hanging on vehicles heading to ground zero. How much they were actually able to help is not as important as the unsolicited, spontaneous response from people of all walks of life to run towards danger.
Old 6 September 2013, 13:13
RIP SOTB, CASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corporate Guy View Post
X2

Amid all the carnage, there was a truly remarkable collective of New Yorkers that stepped up in many manner of ways. While the first responders have rightfully gained recognition, countless numbers of regular Joes and Janes responded admirably.

One simple memory, and one of the more positive ones from that day, is a pick-up truck heading south scooping up regular people along the way. Working guys, suits and ties, shop keepers and guys who looked like they probably never had a legit job piling in or hanging on vehicles heading to ground zero. How much they were actually able to help is not as important as the unsolicited, spontaneous response from people of all walks of life to run towards danger.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 6 September 2013, 13:28

A good friend of mine is a FEMA SAR dog handler, he was working near the site at his day job, saw what happened, went home and got his dog, then spent days searching the rubble. Once in awhile he'll tell a story about what he saw that day but mostly keeps it inside.
Old 6 September 2013, 17:17
BTDT

My younger sister was in Tower 7 on the morning of 9/11 teaching a class for Fidelity. When the towers were hit, initially they were told to stay put, then get out.
Once out, Police were "herding" people initially north (she thinks) then they were told to turn around and go the other way, south (again, she believes). It was shortly after they turned around the first tower fell and she was enveloped by the smoke/soot.
In the "black out" she was trampled and lost her purse, therefore money, ID, etc. She eventually followed the crowd and wound up at the pier and was one of those transported across the river to Giant Stadium...very grateful they were there that day.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 11 September 2013, 12:06

I'm a reader and not a poster, but feel compelled to respond to this thread. As a Veteran of the United States Coast Guard, and also someone who had a sister in the trade center plaza that morning, I offer my heartfelt thanks for posting this link. Semper Paratus -J

Our new posting rules