SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 September 2017, 20:03
Been There Done That

Hurricane Irma Effects

ALL,

Don't bother trying to find a hotel closer than Alabama, Columbus, GA, or northern GA. They are all booked according to several chains I've contacted.

Good luck out there...
Old 5 September 2017, 20:08
RIP Cass and SOTB

Augusta, GA has quite a few hotels and rooms available. I live here and can lend a hand with getting around and where to get grub and stuff.

Best of luck and stay safe!

Last edited by UGA_11B; 5 September 2017 at 20:08. Reason: Spelling
Old 5 September 2017, 21:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA_11B View Post
Augusta, GA has quite a few hotels and rooms available. I live here and can lend a hand with getting around and where to get grub and stuff.

Best of luck and stay safe!
Thanks for that information dude. I am considering heading up that way should this monster turn up the gulf and tread north.
Old 5 September 2017, 22:27
Confirmed User

Anyone members and or their family need a flight out of tpa/fll, let me know. I can hook it up with free Southwest airfare.
Old 5 September 2017, 22:33
Confirmed User

Be safe all!
Old 6 September 2017, 08:16
Old Scroll

If Florida has any sense at all, they'll make both lanes, Northbound and Southbound, of the Florida Turnpike, 75 and 95 into Northbound traffic only. Any Southbound traffic would have to take surface roads.

Lots of people to get outta the way, and two lanes headed north won't cut it.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 6 September 2017, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
If Florida has any sense at all, they'll make both lanes, Northbound and Southbound, of the Florida Turnpike, 75 and 95 into Northbound traffic only. Any Southbound traffic would have to take surface roads.
We lived in FL for about 10 years and this was a drill that the FL guard used to practice, IIRC. I think it was called Contra-Flow (sp?), but it was just what you described and my memory is that it's purpose was only for hurricane evacuation.
Old 6 September 2017, 14:15
Confirmed User

Quote:

Lots of people to get outta the way, and two lanes headed north won't cut it.
Gov. Scott has already suspended all tolls until further notice.

Me, I'm in Lakeland, in the center of the state.

There has been a run on pretty much all survival supplies, water, batteries, plywood, etc. My FB is blowing up with people freaking out.

Been through multiple hurricanes over the years(lived here for 25 years) and I'm honestly not worried.

The winds will die down by the time the storm gets to where I am. I have insurance. Have a 30 gallon hot water tank with a tap, so I have potable water.

Just heard public schools are closed Friday. Still waiting to see what my college is going to do, but it doesn't matter to me because I only have classes Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

Also waiting to see what my work is going to do. Knowing them, they'll stay open and lose a fuckload of money.
Old 6 September 2017, 08:19
Shakin' the bush Boss

Sounds like it's going to be a shitstorm. Let's all hope it cuts east and misses.
Old 6 September 2017, 08:51
FIDO

Hearing that a lot of people in southern Fla are planning on hunkering down and riding it out. Not sure with so many resources already consumed in TX that I agree.
Old 6 September 2017, 09:17
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
Hearing that a lot of people in southern Fla are planning on hunkering down and riding it out. Not sure with so many resources already consumed in TX that I agree.
My genius 20-year-old is in Daytona and looking forward to the "hurricane party."
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 6 September 2017, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
My genius 20-year-old is in Daytona and looking forward to the "hurricane party."
Surprise, he is actually thinking about unassing the AO ... classes are cancelled starting tomorrow, so he is going to make the call by tomorrow morning whether to "head to Gainesville with friends or stay and have a rocking 5-day weekend, depending on what the latest models show."
- Bootsy Collins
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 6 September 2017, 13:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
Surprise, he is actually thinking about unassing the AO ... classes are cancelled starting tomorrow, so he is going to make the call by tomorrow morning whether to "head to Gainesville with friends or stay and have a rocking 5-day weekend, depending on what the latest models show."
It looks as if the panhandle is gonna get spared this time around, so should he need a place to head to, please let me know.

Edited to add: If any members of SOCNET need a place to get out of this storm, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Last edited by just11b; 6 September 2017 at 13:43.
Old 6 September 2017, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by just11b View Post
It looks as if the panhandle is gonna get spared this time around, so should he need a place to head to, please let me know.

Edited to add: If any members of SOCNET need a place to get out of this storm, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Thanks. Appreciate that.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 6 September 2017, 09:23
Confirmed User

^^^ My 20 y.o. daughter's in DeLand starting to freak out...hoping to book a solid hotel today.

Spoke to a buddy of mine in Ft; Lauderdale...he booked a hotel with backup generator, food, etc from Sat to Monday...sounds like the smart way to go
Old 6 September 2017, 09:31
Old Scroll

LongWalk, I was in FL also, for a long time, and it's one of the few states that actually works on occasion for evacuation.

The plan for evacuating a population

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 6 September 2017, 09:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
LongWalk, I was in FL also, for a long time, and it's one of the few states that actually works on occasion for evacuation.

The plan for evacuating a population
Houston / Texas had no Contra Flow during Rita. I'm sure you can google the results, was total "Mad Max" on the freeways. Cars stuck in traffic so long they ran out of gas, etc.

We have it in place now, but our MSA is close to 6M, no way everyone gets out even with Contra Flow. So, we rode the storm out. The Mayor got some heat, but he handled it will, the massive flooding our our freeways, literally 16ft of water in the under passes, would have killed way more than what we had.

That being said, we were not the direct hit, so each one of these are different. Good luck to those in this one's path.

Praying it does not blow over Florida into the Gulf. Things are still pretty crazy here in Houston. Worse actually in Beaumont, Port Aurthur.
Old 6 September 2017, 10:06

Quote:
I never saw it actually used for a hurricane. We moved to SC in 2004 as Charley and others were passing through. Do you know if that plan has ever been used in a hurricane? My guess is that no state does disaster preparedness as well as FL, so it probably works well....if they can control the New Yorkers pouring north out of Miami.
Old 6 September 2017, 16:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Walk View Post
I never saw it actually used for a hurricane. We moved to SC in 2004 as Charley and others were passing through. Do you know if that plan has ever been used in a hurricane? My guess is that no state does disaster preparedness as well as FL, so it probably works well....if they can control the New Yorkers pouring north out of Miami.
I've seen it work well in getting folks out of the Tampa Bay area. Well planned and executed.
Old 6 September 2017, 09:35
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
ALL,

Don't bother trying to find a hotel closer than Alabama, Columbus, GA, or northern GA. They are all booked according to several chains I've contacted.

Good luck out there...
Honest question, what are the chances of it hitting SC? If so then I need to make some housing arrangement plans myself. I know little about storms.

Our new posting rules