SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 September 2017, 06:39
Authorized Personnel

The power company is PSAing that their priorities are that homeowners come last, as in Hospitals have the kids.The staging of the utility trucks was delayed by about two days as they were expecting/planning for the next day surge.
Old 13 September 2017, 07:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
Anybody have info on when/where fuel is going to be delivered to the Wauchula area(middle of the state, south of Orlando, east of Tampa). My daughter granddaughter are there(safe) but there is no fuel to be had anywhere around them except 1.5/2 hours north...

I know fuel is a pressing issue and the gov is trying but I cannot find anything in the news about it. Gasbuddy types apps are not much help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also, on a good note, future SIL's work is stepping up big time and handing out generators, what little fuel they can spare and allowing them to clean up their properties while being payed. My daughter's work told her to come in or be fired.
I do not know specifically about there but I do know that they are pushing the tanker trucks out from the Port in Tampa. They have loads of tanker ships here and inbound. Many places have gas but no electricity to pump it.
Old 13 September 2017, 09:53
Sub Rosa

Thumbs up

I flew into Orlando late last night. My vehicle was parked in an uncovered parking lot, it checked out good-to-go. Got home at 2:00am, inspected the house from top to bottom, had power and internet. I woke up this morning, got dressed and arrived at work at my normal time and found nobody there as the power is out. Now I'm heading back home for the day to recover. The AAR after this experience is going to be expensive as the wife was freaking out about the house from South America.

For you married guys, you know what I mean............
Old 13 September 2017, 09:55
Just A "Less-Than"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I flew into Orlando late last night. My vehicle was parked in an uncovered parking lot, it checked out good-to-go. Got home at 2:00am, inspected the house from top to bottom, had power and internet. I woke up this morning, got dressed and arrived at work at my normal time and found nobody there as the power is out. Now I'm heading back home for the day to recover. The AAR after this experience is going to be expensive as the wife was freaking out about the house from South America.

That's great news, CJ! It's always good to hear when people are able to come out on the good end of a bad event. Enjoy the day of rest!
Old 13 September 2017, 10:01
Another pool cleaner

Quote:

Good to hear.

Probably a blessing in disguise. Now all those expensive, bug-out/shelter-in-place gadgets probably won't seem so expensive to your wife.

Go for the gusto.
Old 13 September 2017, 12:34
Sub Rosa

What's really cool is a dude from Socnet reached out to me and offered assistance, Believeraz, thanks! That offer was unsolicited and speaks to the type of folks on this board. Although I didn't have a need to take him up on his offer, I really appreciated it! B, my offer back is open with no expiration date. Thanks again!

Good suggestion 8654 Maine, timing is everything! My current thinking is my wife's closet, which is larger then the bedroom of our first apartment (7'x12'), will work well for a shelter-in-place room. It's basically an interior room with no windows and an alternate exit via the attic. I'll have to research how I should customize it for storm emergencies. Any ideas folks?
Old 13 September 2017, 13:01
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
I'll have to research how I should customize it for storm emergencies. Any ideas folks?
You should definitely start with a well-stocked gun safe. If she takes that in without blinking, go straight to asking for the full-time maid and housekeeper who happens to be a former Venezuelan beauty queen.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 13 September 2017, 13:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
I'll have to research how I should customize it for storm emergencies. Any ideas folks?
These guys make a pretty decent, and affordable storm shelter. There are quite a few different companies out in the market today, and most have the option for installation inside existing structures, verses building new home around structure.

https://www.armoredcloset.com/pricing/

Good to hear you made it back in one piece, and a home sans any damage.
Old 13 September 2017, 13:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Any ideas folks?
A fully stocked bar with a former Venezuelan beauty queen as bar keeper comes to mind...
Old 13 September 2017, 14:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
A fully stocked bar with a former Venezuelan beauty queen as bar keeper comes to mind...
Like my ole grandpappy used to say: "You can hide a lot of wreckage behind the smile of a beauty queen."
Old 13 September 2017, 18:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
What's really cool is a dude from Socnet reached out to me and offered assistance, thanks! That offer was unsolicited and speaks to the type of folks on this board. Although I didn't have a need to take him up on his offer, I really appreciated it! B, my offer back is open with no expiration date. Thanks again!
I'll second that! Thanks for reaching out Chimo!!

Daughter made it through...the eye wall hit Winter Haven around 1am. They all stayed in the interior laundry room all night. Good thing because their roof collapsed over one of the bedrooms. Screened in pool area got demolished...boat was sunk. We got a 0345 call from them saying they were GTG though.

She worked 9 hours yesterday clearing debris from the families home and property. Definitely a 'life experience'.
Old 13 September 2017, 18:48
Confirmed User

I was debating boarding up the windows, when I looked in the back yard there were unopened pine cones all over the ground, glad I took the time to harden the house. Those things are solid and would have smashed right through glass.

One half of the nesting pair of eagles was on top of an elec pole calling for their mate - it never showed, kind of sad.

Drove up A1A from St Aug/Villano to Jax Bch today, lots of damage.

Last edited by RemTech; 13 September 2017 at 18:50. Reason: spelling
Old 13 September 2017, 18:56
Confirmed User

The Sea Lion V from Walkers Cay Chronicles sunk on Sunday afternoon.

I spent the better part of my youth fishing on the Sea Lion down in Walkers and up in Montauk. What a shame.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usato...ory/656276001/
Old 13 September 2017, 19:54
Authorized Personnel

Power back on.

Lordy, you can miss having AC.
Old 13 September 2017, 20:10
Shakin' the bush Boss

Yeah, I bet it's a bit uncomfortable down there with no AC. Glad you're back in business.
Old 14 September 2017, 08:55
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
You should definitely start with a well-stocked gun safe. If she takes that in without blinking, go straight to asking for the full-time maid and housekeeper who happens to be a former Venezuelan beauty queen.
The gun safe is in my MUCH smaller closet across the hall, thus she'll likely veto my wanting to take up a decent amount of real estate in her closet. I'd probably end up displacing 30-40 shoes and a dozen or more outfits, that's a nonstarter from her perspective. Also a full-time maid, especially a Venezuealan, is a non-starter as we already have a part-time (1-day a week) Greek grandma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just11b View Post
These guys make a pretty decent, and affordable storm shelter. There are quite a few different companies out in the market today, and most have the option for installation inside existing structures, verses building new home around structure.

https://www.armoredcloset.com/pricing/

Good to hear you made it back in one piece, and a home sans any damage.
Thanks, I'll take a look at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
A bar, so long as it has red-wine, preferably a Spanish rioja, is likely going to pass her test. Again because my wife is a Colombiana, the Venezuealan beauty queen isn't going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post
I'll second that! Thanks for reaching out Chimo!!

Daughter made it through...the eye wall hit Winter Haven around 1am. They all stayed in the interior laundry room all night. Good thing because their roof collapsed over one of the bedrooms. Screened in pool area got demolished...boat was sunk. We got a 0345 call from them saying they were GTG though.

She worked 9 hours yesterday clearing debris from the families home and property. Definitely a 'life experience'.
Yes, learned somethings as this was my first serious hurricane that I experienced since moving down to Tampa Bay back in 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Power back on.

Lordy, you can miss having AC.
Good to hear! Plenty of folks here in the Tampa Bay area are still without power.
Old 14 September 2017, 11:26
Been There Done That

Getting the juice flowing after a hurricane is an enormous logistical nightmare...quite often more people die after the hurricane than die in it--from tree trimmers, lineman, substation electricians, etc. You have a wide array of training, some good and some rather shabby. Not to mention the long, long hours you work, being away from home, and just being tired of the job, the food, and staying in tents and trucks (unless you're lucky enough to be in a hotel with lights). Shit happens...be safe out there folks. Be patient, before a lineman closes that switch, he has to be 100% sure...because once it's closed, you can't open that mutherfucker fast enough when the fire balls start flying--BTDT.
Old 14 September 2017, 15:28
Confirmed User

"because once it's closed, you can't open that mutherfucker fast enough when the fire balls start flying--BTDT"

Drove through St Aug and then up A1A and there were crews form everywhere doing the work to get people back on the grid. I shall drink a beer in their honor. One group was from way up north, I can't imagine driving that rig all that way since they aren't exactly comfort machines.
Old 14 September 2017, 16:52
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Again because my wife is a Colombiana, the Venezuealan beauty queen isn't going to happen.
Ever seen a man stabbed to death with a 5" high heel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Yeah, I bet it's a bit uncomfortable down there with no AC.
Yeah, day 5 and counting here. The Duke crews are busting their asses to get us up and running though. Fortunately the in-laws got power a day or so ago so we've invaded their spare rooms.

Quote:
Although I didn't have a need to take him up on his offer
I'm glad you made it home safely. Looking forward to meeting up one day!

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 14 September 2017, 21:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Getting the juice flowing after a hurricane is an enormous logistical nightmare...quite often more people die after the hurricane than die in it--from tree trimmers, lineman, substation electricians, etc. You have a wide array of training, some good and some rather shabby. Not to mention the long, long hours you work, being away from home, and just being tired of the job, the food, and staying in tents and trucks (unless you're lucky enough to be in a hotel with lights). Shit happens...be safe out there folks. Be patient, before a lineman closes that switch, he has to be 100% sure...because once it's closed, you can't open that mutherfucker fast enough when the fire balls start flying--BTDT.

You got that right Brother. I was in N Ga. during Ivan. No power for 4 days. When Georgia power thru the switch on something wasn't connected right. A neutral ground wire or something. The fucking fuse box almost was glowing. Everything that wasn't plugged into a surge protector got fried.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules