SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 July 2016, 12:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
At the same time, none of the other money was ever (according to the FBI, who have been known to be, um, wrong...) returned to circulation.....
Just curious .... if the money had been spent in a foreign country would it easily be noticed here that it had "returned to circulation"?
Old 13 July 2016, 12:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
At the same time, none of the other money was ever (according to the FBI, who have been known to be, um, wrong...) returned to circulation.....
The serial numbers were released by the FBI. None have been reportedly found, which means some may be in circulation but not reported.
Old 13 July 2016, 12:31
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
The serial numbers were released by the FBI. None have been reportedly found, which means some may be in circulation but not reported.
Exactly - take Thailand for example (he was supposedly a 1st Group guy). DB goes there - lives a significant amount of time. He spends these US dollars in the underground economy, and these bills remain circulating in this Thai underground economy. So he is basically laundering it. Once it is all fed into a foreign underground/black foreign economy and he has foreign currency - or clean US dollars, he returns to the US - FBI none the wiser,
Old 13 July 2016, 13:16
Confirmed User

I can't imagine that $200k in 20s released (even if slowly over several years) would remain withing such a black market. I don't think it would take long for individual bills to make it into circulation and be brought back by a tourist.

I think the most probable answer is that the rest of the money lies with his body in the southern Washington forest.
Old 13 July 2016, 13:21
Been There Done That

Sorry if this was mentioned, read today the FBI officially closed the case on this...
Old 16 July 2016, 04:57
Very Deplorable

Spoiler alert.
Like the others who watched, it started out well, but the ending was very anticlimactic. Weak sauce.

We will never know unless someone finds the money, the chute, or the body.
My guess is the guy who did it "copycat style" and got caught, and was subsequently killed in a shootout with the cops. Think he decided to do it again, but got greedy, and lost his focus or got complacent. Skill set and behavior matches.
Old 16 July 2016, 17:32
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I think ol' D.B.'s bones are embedded in the sediment of the Columbia River, near where the kid found his money back in 1980.

Or he's sitting at his computer fight now reading this, laughing his ass off.
Old 16 July 2016, 18:54
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
My guess is the guy who did it "copycat style" and got caught, and was subsequently killed in a shootout with the cops. Think he decided to do it again, but got greedy, and lost his focus or got complacent. Skill set and behavior matches.
Agreed.

Some things you will only get away with once.....

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 16 July 2016, 19:08
Embrace the Suck

I didn't watch the whole show, can someone clarify, does the FBI have Cooper's fingerprints from the plane? I suspect they were not able to harvest DNA but do they have any prints?
Old 16 July 2016, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
I can't imagine that $200k in 20s released (even if slowly over several years) would remain withing such a black market. I don't think it would take long for individual bills to make it into circulation and be brought back by a tourist.

I think the most probable answer is that the rest of the money lies with his body in the southern Washington forest.
There are many places in the world where US currency is horded because it is the currency standard for legal and illegal markets whom cannot or will not deal in local currencies. This results from a myriad of reasons from instability to horrid / non-existent ability to exchange. Many places the dollar functions like diamonds e.g. a stable local currency substitute.

Huge amounts of our currency is effectively "out of circulation" due to the drug trade. There are countries who not only peg their currency to ours but because of economic failures and unstable government only use our money, until it literally falls apart. Every single dollar that comes into a country like that stays until it decomposes.

Try imagining that 200K as a poker chip or marker that gets passed around or added to another, instead of some dude using it to buy ice cream cones at disney.

US currency disappears all the time. Food for thought.
Old 16 July 2016, 21:32
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmcd82 View Post
I didn't watch the whole show, can someone clarify, does the FBI have Cooper's fingerprints from the plane? I suspect they were not able to harvest DNA but do they have any prints?
IIRC, latents were lifted with a majority having value, but were linked to the flight crew, and a a few suspects. As history has shown, nothing became of the susequent investigations. This is just what I have read. Hearsay.

Support SOCNET.
Old 17 July 2016, 02:19
Overseas Gunplumber

After watching the show, I think the person that was previously considered a potential suspect (Rackstraw) and was identified by the investigative reporters was D.B Cooper.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 17 July 2016, 04:58
Been There Done That

I know a guy who is retired now but is still active in the Ranger Community. A Hall of Famer. He jumped a 727. It is very doable. But he didn't have 200G's strapped on him. Anyone who flies these days probably can't fathom just how easy that would have been in the 70's. Lax screening, you could carry on about anything and get shit faced drunk while you smoked.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 17 July 2016, 06:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
...just how easy that would have been in the 70's...
70s hell. I remember before September 11th I would fly with my Benchmade CQC7. I'd carry it right through the metal detector and everything.
Old 17 July 2016, 06:50
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
I know a guy who is retired now but is still active in the Ranger Community. A Hall of Famer. He jumped a 727. It is very doable. But he didn't have 200G's strapped on him. Anyone who flies these days probably can't fathom just how easy that would have been in the 70's. Lax screening, you could carry on about anything and get shit faced drunk while you smoked.
I've read where SMU's have a Boeing they jump from the aft ramp, I have no doubt it's doable. But in the early '70's you'd have to have specific knowledge about airspeed (like Cooper did). That makes me think he was .mil or CIA.

But as a MFFJM, just jumping out at a random spot with unknown winds, well, good luck? Jumping a blind DZ with an exact release point, a compas (at a minimum) and map at night, 100% doable. But doing it at some arbitrary point in the sky with no GPS? Lol, have fun with that.
Old 17 July 2016, 09:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
But as a MFFJM, just jumping out at a random spot with unknown winds, well, good luck? Jumping a blind DZ with an exact release point, a compas (at a minimum) and map at night, 100% doable. But doing it at some arbitrary point in the sky with no GPS? Lol, have fun with that.
I have had MFF jumps, as I'm sure you have, where the JM was waaaaay off the HARP/RP, and I would have to find a suitable place to land - quite often some very small clearing/holes in the trees. Not that I'm a skyGod - but was always fortunate enough in those situations to end up 30-40 feet up hanging in a pine.

I've ramp jumped out of C-5's a few times - once with weight possibly equivalent to the cash DB had - not a problem either

My point being - if the Hijack god's were with DB just this one time - him landing safely very possibly could have happened
Old 17 July 2016, 10:47
In Vino Veritas

I would agree with you, it's possible, but not probable.

LMAO, I've landed waaaaaaaay off a DIP before. But it was more a factor of my doing and not the JM
Old 20 July 2016, 23:15
Confirmed User

I'm partial to the idea that DB Cooper was a hoax perpetrated by the crew. It is one of the few plausible explanations for all the holes in the other accounts. The only thing missing in that scenario is what becomes of the money.
Old 21 July 2016, 08:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by litematt View Post
I'm partial to the idea that DB Cooper was a hoax perpetrated by the crew. It is one of the few plausible explanations for all the holes in the other accounts. The only thing missing in that scenario is what becomes of the money.
Some one had to throw some of the money out. But then, the crew had to be able to walk off the plane with almost all the money into the throng of FBI and cops immediately doing interviews and searching.
Old 22 July 2016, 22:15
Confirmed User

So, I read this thread and then watched it -- not too bad, a little lame on the ending.

So, was Rackstraw ever SF as far as you guys know?

Our new posting rules