SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 23 July 2016, 10:07
Been There Done That

All I know is he's the coolest criminal in history. What ever happened after he exited that 727 is just a big of myth than Sasquatch .

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 23 July 2016, 12:47
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

50, even 100 years from now they'll still be talking about D.B. Cooper. He may disappear from consciousness for periods of time, but somebody will always bring him up and people will start talking about him.

I hope they never find out his true identity. At this point I don't even want to know, just let the legend grow more legendary.
Old 23 July 2016, 13:33
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
All I know is he's the coolest criminal in history.
I'm not so sure. I think Albert Spaggiari has him beat. But, that of course, is my personal opinion.
Old 23 July 2016, 14:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I'm not so sure. I think Albert Spaggiari has him beat. But, that of course, is my personal opinion.
Of course Cool Hand Luke set the standard. Though fictional.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 23 July 2016, 14:14
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I had to look that one up. He got away with the impossible twice, but couldn't get away from throat cancer. Be sure your sins will find you out.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 15 January 2017, 00:07
Been There Done That

So there is apparently some new evidence in this case - trace elements taken from DB Cooper's tie which are rare enough to say that the tie had been in areas tied to the aerospace industry

http://www.kare11.com/news/nation-no...oyee/386067481

The article seems to point to Boeing. Anyway, the effort to identify the trace elements is being crowdsourced online.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 15 January 2017, 07:11
Nurse Ratched

My wife and I just watched that episode a few nights ago on Expedition Unknown. I thought they said it was rare earth elements at the time used in crt tubes or some sort like those used in radar systems

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 15 January 2017, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
So there is apparently some new evidence in this case - trace elements taken from DB Cooper's tie which are rare enough to say that the tie had been in areas tied to the aerospace industry

http://www.kare11.com/news/nation-no...oyee/386067481

The article seems to point to Boeing. Anyway, the effort to identify the trace elements is being crowdsourced online.
That was just part of D.B.'s master plan, to throw people off the scent of who he really is. Or was.

As I stated in my last post, I hope his true identity remains an enduring mystery. If they find out who he really is, it will take all the fun out of speculating what happened to him.

That said, IMO I believe he died from the jump, either immediately or he was injured badly and died in the remote area where he was presumed to have landed. After the animals got to him and his bones were scattered, probably not a whole lot to go on forensically. The kid finding the money in the sand adjacent to the riverbed is intriguing in some respects, although it doesn't really point to his ultimate fate one way or the other. Perhaps he took a chunk of the money and buried it there with the intention that somebody would find it at some point and make them think he hadn't gotten away at all and died in the wilderness.
Old 15 January 2017, 23:42
Been There Done That

Back in my MFF days at the 2d Batt we had an individual that was SOG and was proud of his brass bracelet that used to tell us that it wasn't one guy it was a team effort.

The way he worked it out was jumper and one or two others fly the route during leave, do a casual release point calculation with timers or Rolex's. These guys being spread out over a while wouldn't cause any eye brows to rise. Mean while a ground team is doing the same in the area of the drop on both sides of the river.

Jump night, teams are ready, jumper is on the go and at the set time jumper does his thing with ankle taped strobe activated. Ground teams turn on strobes and get boats on the river as well as a chase team on the ground. The mission complete they go back over the pond and back to the fight. After maybe on to Thailand or some other place but It couldn't be done without knowledge and help.

I think the man that told this to us was as streight a shooter as they came and moved on to great things in the JSOC world. He was a friend when he didn't need to be and a very good teacher.

My opinion is he was one of the team. He just put it together to good and in a precise mission planning kind of way.

Besides you haven't lived until you've jumped a Jet...
Old 16 January 2017, 00:59
Did...did I do that?

That seems like a lot of people involved for $200k though, even back then. The more you split the pot, the less everyone gets.
Old 16 January 2017, 04:59
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

As I stated in my last post, I hope his true identity remains an enduring mystery. If they find out who he really is, it will take all the fun out of speculating what happened to him.
I concur. The allure is the mystery.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:04
Psalm 91:2

This thread makes me sad. I remember talking to Cass in PMs regarding this.

Now I need a Kleenex.

RIP Cass you are missed and remembered.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 20 January 2017, 16:30

Pray tell, did Cass offer any insight into the D.B. Cooper affair?

Like the name of the man who did it?

RIP
Old 20 January 2017, 16:58
Shakin' the bush Boss

I hope it was Cass and he spent every dime of it on hookers and blow.
Old 20 January 2017, 21:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I hope it was Cass and he spent every dime of it on hookers and blow.
Fucking A
Old 20 January 2017, 22:05
Been There Done That

I guess some of you think I was just making up my post in post #15. Not. At least Tripod knows the score.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20 January 2017, 23:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I guess some of you think I was just making up my post in post #15. Not. At least Tripod knows the score.
I was wondering how your previous post (#15) had seemingly flown under the radar.
Old 21 January 2017, 00:33
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I could believe it.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 21 January 2017, 05:45
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Pray tell, did Cass offer any insight into the D.B. Cooper affair?

Like the name of the man who did it?

RIP
He mentioned he was involved in investigating and/or looking into it and I would be surprised about some of the details. I'm convinced he knew who Cooper was and what happened to him though I forget if he was w/ CIA at the time. He talked about it but didn't talk about specifics because I didn't need to know.

We talked often because my grandfather died of early onset Alzheimer's and my mother has it now. He had a bit of a hard time regarding his wife.

All I know is Cass WAS a Tom Clancy novel though truth not fiction. The life he lived and the things he was involved in was truly amazing. He was a total stud and we were lucky he was on our side.

It was truly an honor and privilege that he shared that with me and I think we were able to help each other with dealing with the viscousness of Alzheimer's and dementia.

And damn it now I'm crying all over my iPad. He had a long and storied life with probably only one regret. He couldn't kill Alzheimer's and/or dementia.

RIP Cass I will never forget you as long as I live.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 21 January 2017, 07:00
Confirmed User

Thank you for sharing that, Linda. RIP Cass.

Our new posting rules