SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 December 2017, 20:20
In Vino Veritas

Car Guys: Petrolicious!

If you enjoy cars check out Petrolicious on YouTube. They are 5-8 min clips about guys and their cars. The production values and stories are outstanding! I’ve watched all of the Porsche stories about 5-6 times now
Old 21 December 2017, 20:36
Been There Done That

Thanks for posting this...I help out at Blue Ridge Hot Rods (builds and rebuilds classic muscle cars and bikes from the ground up). I'll never own any of them, but God Bless the millionaires that spend the money to never let these American Classics fade away...

The latest: 1,200 horsepower, Mustang...I call it, "The Space Shuttle".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-12-21%2016-44-05%20-0500.jpg (83.4 KB, 424 views)
Old 21 December 2017, 20:42
Another pool cleaner

I am an amateur car guy.

I rebuilt my old Land Cruiser (except for pistons and transmission).

Working with tools and machinery is keeping me from strangling some folks.
Old 21 December 2017, 20:45
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
I am an amateur car guy.

I rebuilt my old Land Cruiser (except for pistons and transmission).

Working with tools and machinery is keeping me from strangling some folks.
I do find it rather cathartic.

LOL, a 1200 HP “street car”, god bless. That engine bay is a thing of beauty.
Old 21 December 2017, 20:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I do find it rather cathartic.

LOL, a 1200 HP “street car”, god bless. That engine bay is a thing of beauty.
Waaaay out of my league, but once everything is right and the Space Shuttle goes for the 'Test Ride'...I'll figure out how to post the video. I really do love these old cars, they came from a time when Detroit was king of the world...I'll snap a few pics of some projects after the holidays...when things slow down.
Old 22 December 2017, 03:14
Make a desert and call it peace.

Those ribbed blower belts slip at significant boost, need cogged or gilmer belts for serious power.

That said, boost makes easy power. We put together some awful "full potato" level Vortech small block chevy motor for a low dollar customer here, using a lot of "his" parts. I wish I had a picture, because it was comic. Blow through carb, no intercooler, stock bottom end, the pressure side tubing was welded at a straight 90 degree bend (by the customer). A real turd. It still made over 700hp on the dyno.

I'm all for economy stuff and I should post up some of my junk(looking) builds, but there's a method to my madness of making something that looks like ass. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 28 December 2017, 00:17

Ok, revisiting now that I have some pictures. There's a real issue with the automotive sector, kinda like the gun sector, where people(ie men) think that they have some level of competence because they have testicles. And sometimes(many times) they get themselves in way the Hell over their heads because they're stupid. I witnessed that this week, in spades. This is going to be multiple posts because of the pictures, sorry. OK, this a kinda nice Ford Windsor, canted valve head engine. I'm not a Ford guy, but specification wise, this was decent stuff. Unfortunately, the guy putting it together(owner) is an idiot; and worse, he's an unassailably arrogant idiot. Remember this key quote 'I can build an engine as good as anyone'

No swab, no ya can't.

These are Jesel rockers, as good as they get. We ordered 'em, so I know they're the right part for this head.

Houston, we have a problem. Post 1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0066.jpg (31.3 KB, 300 views)
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

Last edited by EchoFiveMike; 28 December 2017 at 00:31.
Old 28 December 2017, 00:18

OK, this guy put these head together himself (using our tools, he's a shop rat) Well, let's do some tear down and see what's wrong:

Da fuq? Post 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171227_091310_resized.jpg (42.6 KB, 298 views)
Old 28 December 2017, 00:26

OK, so the ONLY way this could happen(engine not run yet) is if shithead installed them and mangled this during assembly. If the valves hit the pistons, they'd be bent below the guide. The only way this could happen was if shithead had the assembly tool hung up on the valve tip and then cranked on it like a madman. Like with a 36" cheater bar level stupid. I don't care if you've got ProStock level springs, you stop when things have this much resistance. That's a 11/32" valve stem, not flimsy.

This is why you pay professionals, and you let them do their thing. If you don't trust them to do the right job, you've hired the wrong people.

Now, I build my own stuff here, this is a side job, for fun mostly. My real job makes me want to commit genocide as a career, so this job levels me off. I build some ratty looking stuff, by choice. Ain't no money in smartening up a chump, so they say. The top side looks like old crap, but the guts is all American-made forged stuff. This is boring stock head stuff, but should be a nice 550hp engine that'll live forever. S/F....Ken M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171227_111837_resized.jpg (21.3 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by EchoFiveMike; 28 December 2017 at 00:32.
Old 28 December 2017, 13:13
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
OK, so the ONLY way this could happen(engine not run yet) is if shithead installed them and mangled this during assembly. If the valves hit the pistons, they'd be bent below the guide. The only way this could happen was if shithead had the assembly tool hung up on the valve tip and then cranked on it like a madman. Like with a 36" cheater bar level stupid. I don't care if you've got ProStock level springs, you stop when things have this much resistance. That's a 11/32" valve stem, not flimsy.

This is why you pay professionals, and you let them do their thing. If you don't trust them to do the right job, you've hired the wrong people.

Now, I build my own stuff here, this is a side job, for fun mostly. My real job makes me want to commit genocide as a career, so this job levels me off. I build some ratty looking stuff, by choice. Ain't no money in smartening up a chump, so they say. The top side looks like old crap, but the guts is all American-made forged stuff. This is boring stock head stuff, but should be a nice 550hp engine that'll live forever. S/F....Ken M
Bent pushrods... I've seen em before, but not on an engine that has not yet been run

That distributor placement is foreign to my GM-loyal self. 550hp is a nice number for a naturally aspirated small block, if I have a clue what I'm looking at. MOPAR? Carbureted?
Old 28 December 2017, 16:36

Nope, not bent pushrod, that's the other side of the rocker(the side with the adjuster), bent valve. Idiot bent it mounting the valve springs.

Big block mopar, has the canted distributor. 850cfm Holley. Somewhere between 400 and 500 cubic inches. But like I said, stock heads, just "rubbed on" a little.

A lot of what I do is support work. Lathe and mill work, valve jobs, balance cranks, etc. It's enjoyable doing something productive.

Today I turned some spacers for a motorplate on a 604" Ford. Even with a nitrous cam, should make about 1050 on motor, just under 2000 with two stages of nitrous. S/F....Ken M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171228_132025_resized (1).jpg (24.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg 20171228_133409_resized.jpg (26.9 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 20171228_133418_resized.jpg (24.3 KB, 242 views)
Old 28 December 2017, 17:07
Supporterator

Quote:
A lot of what I do is support work. Lathe and mill work, valve jobs, balance cranks, etc. It's enjoyable doing something productive.

Today I turned some spacers for a motorplate on a 604" Ford. Even with a nitrous cam, should make about 1050 on motor, just under 2000 with two stages of nitrous. S/F....Ken M
No replacement for displacement What sort of compression?

I am jealous of the machine work skillset. I'm just a wrench monkey, and not much of one anymore. Life happened and I hope to get back to it at some point.

OP, I have yet to check out the Petrolicious stuff. Always enjoyed the Nelson Racing turbo SBC builds on YouTube as well.
Old 28 December 2017, 17:09
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
OK, this guy put these head together himself (using our tools, he's a shop rat) Well, let's do some tear down and see what's wrong:

Da fuq? Post 2.
Wow. That, uh...huh.
Old 28 December 2017, 19:51
Been There Done That

saw a Petrolicous about a dude in Indiana's Singer 4.0 by accident.

A. those things are sexy as all hell, I dig 'em since I first saw one on Top Gear.

B. vid production quality is top notch.

E5M, hopefully stupidity costs enough to affect learning.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 28 December 2017, 20:06
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
saw a Petrolicous about a dude in Indiana's Singer 4.0 by accident.

A. those things are sexy as all hell, I dig 'em since I first saw one on Top Gear.

B. vid production quality is top notch.

E5M, hopefully stupidity costs enough to affect learning.
They just released that one, the Indian Commission. Stunning car. I’ve seen one or two in the wild on its way to Monterey. You’re right, they are sexy as hell. Singer money if about as fuck you as it gets, but nonetheless I need to add a regular 964 to the stable.
Old 28 December 2017, 20:16
Been There Done That

My favorite project--and it'll finish out with a nice Hemi. I'll post the after pictures when it completed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18057645_10152610945839979_1539216460312031394_n.jpg (50.3 KB, 224 views)
Old 28 December 2017, 20:19
Been There Done That

And I see this gorgeous mutherfucker every morning when I walk through the door. I stop every damn time and just admire this piece of art, resurrected, restored, and flawless. Cars like these were minted when Detroit ruled the world....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12011132_10152377724744979_8963156347757744702_n.jpg (26.6 KB, 224 views)
Old 29 December 2017, 00:17
Confirmed User

I admire you gents that can do this kind of work. I would like one day to buy/restore a 1975 Chevelle Malibu Classic as it was the first car I bought on my own, then wrecked:)
Old 29 December 2017, 01:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
They just released that one, the Indian Commission. Stunning car. I’ve seen one or two in the wild on its way to Monterey. You’re right, they are sexy as hell. Singer money if about as fuck you as it gets, but nonetheless I need to add a regular 964 to the stable.
I'll see if my buddy is still selling his. $45k I think?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 29 December 2017, 17:57

At least in my area, the late 90's early 00's Boxster's are excellent deals for a fun toy car. You need to replace the IMS bearing, a known and fatal problem, but for 10k'ish for a used S model, it's worth it.

Another great YT car channel is 19bozzy92. Pro-photog who does car stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k91qPMcBVMc

S/F....Ken M

Our new posting rules