SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 July 2018, 15:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Did the Army steal Police vehicles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Buy armored car to protect officers. Officers ride on the outside... Tactical kits on golf carts.... I got nuttin.

Multicam in a largely green-scape = ACU any where.... nevermind.... most of hte grass i dead and brown in the pictures so they are GTG...
Kind of my point. It was a ridiculous display of force in more ways than one. I get they're still scared because some Muzzies attacked the Event Center a long while back.... but they were doing this stupid shit before that ever happened. Sad thing is the general population around here eats this shit up. They love the tacti-cool factor.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 5 July 2018, 17:45

A co-worker had his house burnt down last night when a neighbor improperly disposed of fireworks. Three houses went up, all three total losses. Fortunately everyone got out ok. We aren’t in a dry area either, the South has been getting absolutely drenched with rain lately.

I think the majority of people are just too stupid to properly handle explosive devices. Fortunately most are lucky enough to get away with their idiocy with a laugh, singed arm hair and a funny video on YouTube. Some have their digits blown off. They (hopefully) understood the risk. But some overachieving asshats will injure someone else or destroy their shit. I sometimes find myself cursing our state legislators for recently lifting the fireworks ban. Yeah, people can still access them by crossing state lines but it still helped as a deterrent.
Old 5 July 2018, 18:35
Been There Done That

I got done at work early last night, 1030ish, just when the fireworks going everywhere. On my way home , wild animals everywhere, especially along the patch of woods along the creek. I am against bans too, just real glad I do not ride my mountain bike to and from anymore, at night!
Old 6 July 2018, 01:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
If you have one of those vets with PTSD signs about not having fireworks near you.....you are a fucking homo.
This to the nth degree.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 6 July 2018, 14:36
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Going back a couple of years, but one 4th of July I was driving down one of my local side streets and I could see some kid lighting off M-80s around his front yard. I was rolling well under the speed limit and the kid caught sight of me from a distance and moved from the sidewalk where he had been setting them off out into the street and laid something down (I'm assuming his small explosive) in what would have been the path of my car and appeared to be getting ready to light it when he looked up to gauge how far away I was and could see that I was looking right at him, at which point he picked it up and moved back to the sidewalk area.

The little prick was trying to lay down an IED on me! Couldn't believe it, and I just stared intently at him the whole time as I was passing by.

The idea of an M-80 going off underneath a car sounds a little dicey, especially if it hits the fuel line or gas tank.
Old 6 July 2018, 15:09

Looks like a kid in Chicago suffered some bad injuries to his head and face from a large, commercial grade mortar on the fourth. I'll never understand why people mess around with that particular grade of fireworks, best left to the pros. Most of those shells are detonated by an electrical charge, as I understand it, and I heard lighting them in the traditional way with an open flame gives you no margin for error as they detonate and fire almost instantaneously.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...706-story.html

Quote:
As family gathered to celebrate the holiday Thursday night, 25-year-old Madeline Anaya stepped into the house momentarily. Her 14-year-old nephew Enrique was outside with her oldest brother, in the back, blowing off fireworks. “The big ones like at Navy Pier,’’ she said.
Old 6 July 2018, 15:36
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Looks like a kid in Chicago suffered some bad injuries to his head and face from a large, commercial grade mortar on the fourth. I'll never understand why people mess around with that particular grade of fireworks, best left to the pros. Most of those shells are detonated by an electrical charge, as I understand it, and I heard lighting them in the traditional way with an open flame gives you no margin for error as they detonate and fire almost instantaneously.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...706-story.html
Yep. One year, this douchy friend of my neighbor comes up to me with one. It only says in huge letters all over it DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LIGHT, SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH WILL OCCUR. IF FOUND TURN INTO LOCAL POLICE OR FIRE STATION.
He says, "Hey you're in the military, do you want to light this?"
I'm like fuck no, and you ain't either you ass hat. And I take it from him.
I told a guy at work who actually is licensed and works for the big grucci type shows. And he said good thing, it would have blown up in your face immediately.
I still cringe when I think of what might have happened if I hadn't have taken that from that dick bag.
Old 6 July 2018, 17:21
Confirmed User

My neighbors kid shot a bottle rocket into my vinyl siding. It put a hole about 2 inches in diameter. He is going to fix it...
Old 6 July 2018, 18:54
Authorized Personnel

This was the quietest 4th of July I have had in my neighborhood for many years. It had just enough firework action to be enjoyed without being overbearing with just "noise."
Old 6 July 2018, 19:38
Authorized Personnel

I've noticed a lot of dogs have been lost. I blame irresponsible owners.
Old 6 July 2018, 20:55
Never to old to learn

The back acres didn't catch fire this year. Some SOB were lighting bottle rockets up on the other side the acres at there back fences, I have a hyybridlight flash light an when I turn it on bright, it is like a spot light. I put the light on the SOB's an lite them up. Scared the shit out of them. They ran like hell.

Last edited by wildman43; 6 July 2018 at 20:57. Reason: wording
Old 6 July 2018, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
Yep. One year, this douchy friend of my neighbor comes up to me with one. It only says in huge letters all over it DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LIGHT, SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH WILL OCCUR. IF FOUND TURN INTO LOCAL POLICE OR FIRE STATION.
He says, "Hey you're in the military, do you want to light this?"
I'm like fuck no, and you ain't either you ass hat. And I take it from him.
I told a guy at work who actually is licensed and works for the big grucci type shows. And he said good thing, it would have blown up in your face immediately.
I still cringe when I think of what might have happened if I hadn't have taken that from that dick bag.
The last time I recall something like this happening around here was several years back, a guy in the town of Addison was igniting a professional grade mortar and was standing over the tube when it went off, took his whole head off. The kid over the 4th, it sounds like he'll survive but he's got some tough years of surgery ahead of him. Sucks to happen at any age, but to be 14 and get nailed like that must really suck. Absolute change of the course of whatever direction he was hoping to follow in life.

And the network news showed this crazy lady in Brooklyn over the fourth, firing what appeared to be some type of roman candle variant indiscriminately, at everything and nothing, including people. She had to be out of her mind to do this.

Then again, in Crown Heights this might be what passes for regular fun and games on the 4th of July.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/06/woman-...s-in-brooklyn/
Old 9 July 2018, 14:17
Confirmed User

I love a good fireworks display on the 3rd, 4th and even the 5th. But the douche bags in my subdivision have been going at it for a week and a half. It's getting a bit ridiculous, and the dog freaks out when she hears a bottle rocket go off now. Some guy in a town near by was shooting off 3" mortars. Decided to look down the mortar tube and it goes off blowing most of his head off and severely injuring his buddy. Ugh!
Old 9 July 2018, 18:26
Policeman Officer

It literally sounds like Baghdad around here.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules