SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 4 July 2018, 02:22
Six Minutes!

"Those" vets

Everyone knows a few.

I respect all servicemen. We all enlisted with a blank check, we didn't know the future, and didn't have much sway on where we would be deployed and in what circumstances.

There are however "those guys" who feel some kind of inadequacy for there periods of service or MOS's, especially if they were never deployed. They tend to go overboard with the "I'm a Vet" and "I volunteer for Vets" thing.

With my employer, there aren't many vets. Maybe like 4 or 5 in 400.

My company recently hired a gung ho Army vet who served from 1994-1998. He served at Ft. Gordon, Ft. Hood, and Ft. Polk.

I have no problems with this guy, his service, or his job performance. His POV is a rolling smorgassboard of POW/MIA Veteran, "thank a Vet" etc. bumper stickers.

However, when introducing himself, within the first 30 seconds of talking to him, he makes you aware that he is a vet, and volunteers at the VA to help vets... Good on him...

When I first talked to him, he introduced himself to me as an Army vet, and the usual questions and correspondence applied- "me too, what was your MOS, where were you stationed, etc".
He has since latched on to me, seeking me out when I am in his AO, trying to talk to me about the Army. The last time was when I decided to throw the glove on the table.

He asked me "are you in the American Legion? Do you want a free meal on the 4th? They're giving us a free meal on the 4th, wanna go? I'll "sponsor" you."

I replied, "No, I'm in the VFW... I usually only hang out at the VFW... are you a member there?"

"No", he sheepishly replied, "I tried to get back in after 9-11 but waiver... medical... etc"

Most of the guys I served with don't really hang out or reminisce. I don't really hang out at the VFW. It seems that a lot of guys felt left out in GWOT. There is no need. Own your service, and be humble (you're still miles ahead of 93% of the population).

FWIW, I'm a fat, balding National Guardsman and I'm a proud mother -f'er.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 4 July 2018, 06:19
Confirmed User

Good points. I made it a habit to say, I dont care where or when you served, I am honored you served.
Old 4 July 2018, 07:00
Authorized Personnel

One of the most important things we can have in this life is a friend. It sounds like he has decided you are that friend, and it sounds like he is really in need of your friendship. Thank you for stepping up and being his friend.
Old 4 July 2018, 07:43
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
One of the most important things we can have in this life is a friend. It sounds like he has decided you are that friend, and it sounds like he is really in need of your friendship. Thank you for stepping up and being his friend.
This.
Old 4 July 2018, 08:05
Shakin' the bush Boss

I guess everybody approaches it differently. I had a brief flirtation with the VFW, but didn't care for the "everybody owes me something" mentality. I get quite a kick out of the guys with their 201/SRB on the back window of their truck.
Old 4 July 2018, 08:06
Been There Done That

Sarc on
What the f? You’re a just a Guard guy, what do you know?
Sarc off

Lighten up bro, be a friend (close or distant is on you).
Old 4 July 2018, 08:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I guess everybody approaches it differently. I had a brief flirtation with the VFW, but didn't care for the "everybody owes me something" mentality. I get quite a kick out of the guys with their 201/SRB on the back window of their truck.
Have a guy in my town that drives around with a large "Sniper" tab decal covering the his whole rear window - you would get a kick out of.

A, Sounds like just another veteran just wanting to connect and make a friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 July 2018, 08:30
Authorized Personnel

If a vet is searching for a friend, I'd be hard pressed not to give a little.
Old 4 July 2018, 08:34
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Have a guy in my town that drives around with a large "Sniper" tab decal covering the his whole rear window - you would get a kick out of.

A, Sounds like just another veteran just wanting to connect and make a friend.
You expect me to believe you don't have DOL on your Jeep?

I freely admit I have a big F**k ISIS sticker on my truck.
And a BRO sticker.
Old 4 July 2018, 08:39
Shakin' the bush Boss

I don't really begrudge the guys who flaunt it and talk about it all the time. It's just not me.

I was at a Dr office a few months ago. Saw a Jeep all stickered up with sniper shit. Walk in, young guy, probably 25, sleeved up, skull t shirt, hat with pins all over it, battle beard. Nah. I just took my old ass and sat on the other side of the room. He couldn't have been yelling "look at me" any louder if he'd actually been yelling "look at me".
Old 4 July 2018, 08:47
Been There Done That

Nope. Did not even opt for the Army Veteran license plate. Have the Indiana Environment license place (proceeds go to several parks I frequent for hikes). Only thing I opt for is the large V emblem one gets on the back of their DL card if a veteran for the state of Indiana.

Only veteran symbol I ever wear is a small SF crest hat clip I clip to the brim of my Jeep hat. And have a coffee mug with a SF logo. Only Vet organization belong to is SOCNET.

Do have quite a few veterans and NG soldiers that are MA students at my school - so good connecting with them and think they feel the same. Have two combat vets from Iraq and Afghan at the school, and I know it has been good for them. It is easy for many veterans, especially those who have been in combat to feel isolated, and not relate to, the rest of society. Same reason many of us congregate here on Socnet. To be with liked minded individuals with some similar experiences.

Old 4 July 2018, 08:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
I don't really begrudge the guys who flaunt it and talk about it all the time. It's just not me.

I was at a Dr office a few months ago. Saw a Jeep all stickered up with sniper shit. Walk in, young guy, probably 25, sleeved up, skull t shirt, hat with pins all over it, battle beard. Nah. I just took my old ass and sat on the other side of the room. He couldn't have been yelling "look at me" any louder if he'd actually been yelling "look at me".
Probably not a vet, just has attended one of Yeager's shooting courses.

Old 4 July 2018, 08:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I agree 100%; that's not me. I think I have a ANGLICO sweatshirt somewhere, but that's about it. It sounds like this guy is looking for a friend and needs his "look at me" factor overlooked.
Quote:
Only veteran symbol I ever wear, if have a small SF crest hat clip I clip to the brim of my Jeep hat. And have a coffee mug with a SF logo. Only Vet organization belong to is SOCNET.
Me too.
Old 4 July 2018, 09:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Nope. Did not even opt for the Army Veteran license plate. Have the Indiana Environment license place (proceeds go to several parks I frequent for hikes). Only thing I opt for is the large V emblem one gets on the back of their DL card if a veteran for the state of Indiana.

Only veteran symbol I ever wear is a small SF crest hat clip I clip to the brim of my Jeep hat. And have a coffee mug with a SF logo. Only Vet organization belong to is SOCNET. Same reason many of us congregate here on Socnet. To be with liked minded individuals with some similar experiences.

Pretty much me, farm use tags, dirty Ranger hat, no stickers or decals on my truck--I do have a Ranger coin super glued to my dash in case I get fucking coined by one of you fuckers. Other than that, just this place.
Old 4 July 2018, 10:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Pretty much me, farm use tags, dirty Ranger hat, no stickers or decals on my truck--I do have a Ranger coin super glued to my dash in case I get fucking coined by one of you fuckers. Other than that, just this place.
Ditto (substitute Nightstalker for Ranger, of course, and the only thing on my truck is a "get out of jail free" Sheriff SAR Team sticker). And I don't stand when I'm at an event where they ask all veterans to stand and be recognized. What I did I did for me, not for recognition from others.
Old 4 July 2018, 10:37
Been There Done That

I do feel a little slighted (stupidly) that the conflict I was involved in was nothing in comparison to those that came before and those after. The men on the boat crews during that time might, and I mean might because I don't really know, might have been awarded a purple heart or two. No casualties incurred from the Iranian combatants that I know of. (It was no contest). I was safely on shore duty teaching little ETs how to fix their radars during Desert Shield/Storm.

Other than FB postings reminding folks that kids have died for their freedom and how shitty we treat Vets, I rarely talk about being in the service. I have used FB to link up with the guys I served with. They have my respect.

I too have backed away from guys that are overly-enthusiastic. It fucking bugs me. That's not to say I won't befriend a fellow Vet. I'd rather keep all of that low-key and between us. Exactly like what we have here.

Happy Forth Fuckers.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 4 July 2018, 14:13
Been There Done That

I have 3 magnets on my truck and one sticker on my truck box-

American Flag (sticker)

Gators

Gadsden Flag

OIF Veteran

My 201 file is at the St Louis Records center- if some one wants to know more they can file a FOIA...
Old 4 July 2018, 14:17
Shakin' the bush Boss

Just for full disclosure, I do have a set of CIB license plates on my wore out old Firebird that I use to run SCCA races.
Old 4 July 2018, 14:19
Deplorable

Quote:
Probably not a vet, just has attended one of Yeager's shooting courses.
DOH ... The 'Yeager Bomb' gets dropped - LOL.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 4 July 2018, 14:24
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
I respect all servicemen.
I don't.

Our new posting rules