SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 November 2011, 23:44
Ne Obliviscaris

Retired Reservist Benefits After Death

My father was a Rerired Reservist with 20 years in. He passed away last year at 58 years of age. I was doing some research and was wondering if I was entitled to any retirement pay he would have began receiving at age 60? He had an VGLI of $20,000 that was sent to me and my sis who were the sole beneficiaries. But from what I can see and assume thru my research is that we would be entitled to his retirement pay in the event of his passing? Since he passed on at the age of 58, he was in the process of submitting his paperwork for the reserve retirement pay. We actually found the completed form in his personal documents. I don't want to sound like I'm cold hearted and looking for money, but my father certainly earned it and if there was any money to be had he would have wanted my sis and I to get it. I found standard form 1174 on the DFAS site and was wondering if it is what I should submit? I also tried contacting them directly by phone with no luck (I live overseas and Skype is spotty at best). Any info/guidance/answers are greatly appreciated.

Our new posting rules