SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 14 November 2011, 13:26
Authorized Personnel

Cheap surgical instruments

I recently had a growth cut off my back and while the VA Doctor was cutting, I heard him say that the scissors were dull and that he didn't like the other instruments either.

The nurse gave me a bag with the tweezers, hemostats and scissors that were used, all of them had "PAKISTAN DE" stamped on them.

My question is, are the tools used by VA obtained by local purchase or do they come from one central source?

I know very little about the quality of sharpened steel, but I would feel a lot better if I were to see them made in the U.S., or even Germany.

The proceedure went well and the patient lived.
Old 14 November 2011, 13:37
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
I recently had a growth cut off my back and while the VA Doctor was cutting, I heard him say that the scissors were dull and that he didn't like the other instruments either.

The nurse gave me a bag with the tweezers, hemostats and scissors that were used, all of them had "PAKISTAN DE" stamped on them.

My question is, are the tools used by VA obtained by local purchase or do they come from one central source?

I know very little about the quality of sharpened steel, but I would feel a lot better if I were to see them made in the U.S., or even Germany.

The proceedure went well and the patient lived.
Glad to hear that the patient lived...But don't get too cocky, the day is not over!
Old 14 November 2011, 16:38
Old Scroll

The Pakis have been makin all kinds of surgical insturments in stainless for many, many years. Looks like the VA went with the low bidder, and may have gone a bit TOO cheap this time.

Hell, if the growth came out, and you didn't bleed to death, I'd call it good!

Kinda like an execution by electric chair... but one gone wrong when flames shoot out the hood, bad smells permeate the room, and the passing isn't quick at all. Was it a botched execution? Well... he's dead, ins't he?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Last edited by B 2/75; 14 November 2011 at 16:40.
Old 14 November 2011, 16:41
Been There Done That

No doubt he used a disposable set. In actuality, it sounds to be better than the set's I was using in the ER at Bliss....which had PLASTIC "tweezers" in it for forceps.

Minor surgical sets are all considered one time use now and the pieces are disposable as they are cheaper to use and toss than to use, clean, wrap, package, and autoclave.

No doubt - contracted to the lowest bidder. But they do come in a little kit...like a microwave entree
Old 14 November 2011, 16:43
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa
Minor surgical sets are all considered one time use now and the pieces are disposable as they are cheaper to use and toss than to use, clean, wrap, package, and autoclave....
Wow, I would have never known or thought this. Wow. You learn something new everyday....
Old 14 November 2011, 17:06
The atomic zit

Glad to here the Old Crusty Bastard made it out alive!!!

As far as Pakistan made surgical tools go, I have seen them around for some time, between an Aunt that is a MD and Pop, who always seemed to have leftovers from work. Still not sure how a pair a hemostats can help design or build a F-xx; probably falls into the: Ask if you want, but I can't tell category.

As far as cleaning and reusing vs. new, I have always believed it was a liability issue... Thank the Tort lawyers for that one...

Add that to the fact that surgeons are worse prima-donnas than pilots... (now ducking and running... :D)

This world could use more Old Crusty Bastards!!!

Last edited by Stretch; 14 November 2011 at 17:07. Reason: typo
Old 14 November 2011, 17:15
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
Minor surgical sets are all considered one time use now and the pieces are disposable as they are cheaper to use and toss than to use, clean, wrap, package, and autoclave.
The Iraqi medical folks thought we were being wasteful! We gave them a few kits and you can best believe they were reused....

Stay safe.
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 14 November 2011, 19:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Glad to hear that the patient lived...But don't get too cocky, the day is not over!
No shit on the day not being over, I should of waited a day before posting, the wife got rear-ended, in my truck. She got hit hard enough to also include the car in front of her. She is sore and the Doc said she will get sorer, but seems no real damage to her or my granddaughter.

I suppose as vets we can accept that money is tight and put up with being sawed on rather that sliced.
Old 14 November 2011, 20:09
Been There Done That

Recently had to go to the hospital to get some stitches. After the procedure, the nurse put all the instruments in a metal style bin for disposal. I thought the same thing about the cost effectiveness, but guessed they would just sell it for bulk steel (metal of whatever sorts). All in all, it must be easier than cleaning/sterilizing/re-packaging.
Old 14 November 2011, 20:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
No shit on the day not being over, I should of waited a day before posting, the wife got rear-ended, in my truck. She got hit hard enough to also include the car in front of her. She is sore and the Doc said she will get sorer, but seems no real damage to her or my granddaughter.

Glad they are OK!!! Holy Smokes!
Old 14 November 2011, 20:25
Confirmed User

Almost all of my reusable surgical instruments are made in Pakistan or Germany. Both make excellent instruments. As others have said, your procedure was completed with disposable instruments, which run the gamut from razor-sharp and useful to dull like grandma's wooden tooth. Most are Pakistani-made. I've never had a disposable set that was unusable, (and I never throw instruments or stomp my feet in the O.R). I am a serial sexual harasser, but not in a creepy way. In the O.R., it's all about the presentation. Lol
Danny
Old 14 November 2011, 21:46
BTDT

Quote:

I suppose as vets we can accept that money is tight and put up with being sawed on rather that sliced.
And you thought I was being a smart-ass, au contraire!

Our new posting rules