Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 5 January 2018, 00:25
Confirmed User

Windows 10 Home Update

Okay, computer guys, I am looking for some helpful suggestions here. My Gateway DX4860 desktop computer is running Windows 10 Home Version 14393. It states that the current version is 16299. When I try to update it, it eventually gives up and goes back to 14393. I have Googled this and tried the various suggestions on line, but I still get the same result.

Should I continue to try and upgrade to 16299 or should I just remain with 14393? I computer is probably 5 years old and perhaps I should consider buying something a bit newer. The tightwad in me things that since this is still working, I should keep it going.

There is a Micro Center near me and I certainly can bring it there. I am just on the fence whether it is worth putting any money into something this old.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Jim1348; 5 January 2018 at 00:38.
Old 5 January 2018, 03:53
Confirmed User

I didn't know they still made a Gateway computer, If I remember right the free up grade is NO more, you have to pay for it.
Old 5 January 2018, 08:10
Nexus Schemer

I’ve seen this feature update fail in the past. You can download the creator update I think it’s called manually and install it without windows update.

Start here see what it does for you
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...al-install-now

That was a quick search to get you an answer quickly. If it doesn’t get you there post up.
Old 5 January 2018, 09:44
BTDT

No idea - sounds like typical Windows snafu's that take 3 days to even find an answer on, then it still doesn't work.

Personally, I'd get a new SSD and buy Windows 10 and install new. Gateway is old school - if you have ~$500, you can put together a pretty kick ass AMD Ryzen 3 system (and that's with 8Gb RAM, 460Gb SSD, and 1050GT graphics - you can go even less expensive).

If you already have an copy of Windows 10 install media, you can get Activation keys on Kinguin for ~$30.
Old 5 January 2018, 15:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
No idea - sounds like typical Windows snafu's that take 3 days to even find an answer on, then it still doesn't work.

Personally, I'd get a new SSD and buy Windows 10 and install new. Gateway is old school - if you have ~$500, you can put together a pretty kick ass AMD Ryzen 3 system (and that's with 8Gb RAM, 460Gb SSD, and 1050GT graphics - you can go even less expensive).

If you already have an copy of Windows 10 install media, you can get Activation keys on Kinguin for ~$30.
I agree with you on this a New Computer is the best way to go.
Old 11 January 2018, 06:44
Confirmed User

It's hard to say anything without install log.
Old 12 January 2018, 07:33
BTDT

BTW, just built the wife a new computer. Used a 460Gb Sandisk SSD Plus for $130 off Amazon. Made a fresh USB installer drive with the newest Win10 from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

(I had a key)

Like buttah, easy peasy.
Old 16 January 2018, 05:34
Confirmed User

Jim. Your Gateway has i5-2320 plus 8GB RAM? If so, and if you don't want to pay for a new PC and you don't use it for demanding tasks you could just buy an SSD, clone existing disk on it and use the PC further. Did you manage to resolve the error?

If you're stuck with it buy an SSD, install fresh Win10, connect old disk via USB-SATA adapter or just plug it as a second (non-bootable) one, transfer the data you need and forget about the whole ordeal.
Old 16 January 2018, 12:35
Confirmed User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
Jim. Your Gateway has i5-2320 plus 8GB RAM? If so, and if you don't want to pay for a new PC and you don't use it for demanding tasks you could just buy an SSD, clone existing disk on it and use the PC further. Did you manage to resolve the error?

If you're stuck with it buy an SSD, install fresh Win10, connect old disk via USB-SATA adapter or just plug it as a second (non-bootable) one, transfer the data you need and forget about the whole ordeal.
Will the mother board support the SSD ???
Old 16 January 2018, 15:33
Confirmed User

Well, he should open his particular model (I'm not familiar with Gateways) and check for SATA ports. If they are there, he should be fine with most SSDs he inserts. If the mobo lacks ports he might actually think about changing the PC. Some revisions/subversions of this model have 6 onboard SATA ports. The version I mentioned in my previous post, the one with i5-2320 (DX4860-UB33P) has 1TB SATA HDD preinstalled. If he has another version...well...then he'll have to rethink my proposition
Old 17 January 2018, 16:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
Well, he should open his particular model (I'm not familiar with Gateways) and check for SATA ports. If they are there, he should be fine with most SSDs he inserts. If the mobo lacks ports he might actually think about changing the PC. Some revisions/subversions of this model have 6 onboard SATA ports. The version I mentioned in my previous post, the one with i5-2320 (DX4860-UB33P) has 1TB SATA HDD preinstalled. If he has another version...well...then he'll have to rethink my proposition
The problem he would have is the wiring connections, I have 3 gateways in the pass an kept the Dard drives, I looked at them an the HP SSD hard drive I have, I don't thing it will work.
Old 17 January 2018, 17:53
Confirmed User

We'd need Jim to speak up about what he saw inside his PC in terms of SATA ports. Maybe he has only IDE (the big broad one with pins).

Our new posting rules