SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 5 August 2018, 19:46

Help with a DOS Bio requirement.

My background is civilian LE about 10 years. The last aprx 3 years were as an EDD handler. After I got out I signed with Aegis/ Garda and went through training, CVC and NPSS. Total time with them was a little over a year.

I decided not to deploy because my clearance was taking forever and I met my now fiancé made family a priority.

When I left LE it was on less than good terms. My old department launched an investigation on 3/4 K9 unit officers. This happened right as I was planning on giving my 2 weeks notice. So when I left I was still being investigated. You will just have to take my word on this poor timing. Soon after they fired the other 2 K9 guys for what they said was lying about the amount of time a training aide was unaccounted for. Since I had already left all they could do to me was petition to revoke my certification to be a cop. One of the guys who lost his job and I fought the allegations and two years later he was reinstated with back pay and we both kept our certs. The judge also found that the Chief and the Lt. who conducted our investigation lied in court and did not act in good faith. The court document rebuts any claim by the department and states I didn't do anything bad enough to lose my livelihood.

This was the cause of my 13 month security clearance investigation. I did end up getting my secret clearance granted with Garda after the DOS contractor panel reviewed my case.

Now I'm trying to get on with another K9 DOS contract. This past week the DOS made a new request for employment verification letters stating LE's guys had to "be in good standing" with their previous departments.

My last department hates my guts so they are not willing to give me a letter stating I am in good standing. I had the director of the Police Standards Council write me a letter stating my certificate was in good standing. My fear is it's not enough.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get through this new DOS request to "be in good standing"? I want to get back to contracting and I'm shy of the minimum required time without my LE EDD K9 experience.

(MOD's, sorry I double posted this)
Old 5 August 2018, 22:29
Been There Done That

There is nothing in the SOW for the requirements of NPSS or EDD handlers to have letters “in good standing” with every single one of their employers so it is not a BIO issue. You either meet the requirements spelled out in the Attachment or you don’t.

Your clearance may be another issue. No one is perfect and almost everyone has past employment where they couldn’t get a letter “in good standing,” for a multitude of reasons. Documentation of the event and the disposition of it, which it sounds like you have, should be enough to submit with the clearance packet. The person handling your clearance application/transfer should know where to attach that documentation. DoS can request it all they want but that does not make it mandatory or necessary. The adjudication board will determine that and or the contractor review panel, if denied a clearance. Having explained it and been through the board previously should help (include your statement to the board) explain a lot.
Old 5 August 2018, 22:33
Administrator

It should be enough. In good standing means you can be rehired as an LEO, not that you win a popularity contest with your old department. People leave jobs on less than good terms every day. Not like they haven't seen it before.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 5 August 2018, 22:34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
There is nothing in the SOW for the requirements of NPSS or EDD handlers to have letters “in good standing” with every single one of their employers so it is not a BIO issue. You either meet the requirements spelled out in the Attachment or you don’t.

Your clearance may be another issue. No one is perfect and almost everyone has past employment where they couldn’t get a letter “in good standing,” for a multitude of reasons. Documentation of the event and the disposition of it, which it sounds like you have, should be enough to submit with the clearance packet. The person handling your clearance application/transfer should know where to attach that documentation. DoS can request it all they want but that does not make it mandatory or necessary. The adjudication board will determine that and or the contractor review panel, if denied a clearance. Having explained it and been through the board previously should help (include your statement to the board) explain a lot.
Yep
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 6 August 2018, 00:12

The company I'm going through put it as something that has to be directly stated in the Bio as of last week. I'm confident I can get through the clearance process again. Just not confident that my Bio will get passed and then my e-quip submitted because of this new requirement.

This is not my area of expertise so I'm not really sure how the process all comes together. When you say "meet the requirements spelled out in the attachment" are you referencing the job posting?
Old 6 August 2018, 00:21
Been There Done That

Applicable sections of SOW, Sect J, Attachment 1 pasted below.

(Section J)

Worldwide Protective Services (WPS 2)

Attachment One

Personnel and Canine Responsibilities and Qualifications

1.2 ​​​General Qualifications
A. In order to be eligible to work under the WPS II contract, US citizen Contractor personnel shall:
1. Be at least 21 years of age at the time of hiring.
2. Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license issued from a state within the US.
3. Possess and maintain a valid passport granted by the Department of State.
4. In the case of military service, any separation must have been under honorable conditions, if applicable.
5. In the case of specific human intelligence threat Posts, the person must meet the minimum requirements as identified in the task order.
6. Obtain and maintain a personnel security clearance/public trust certification, as required by the task order.
7. Meet or exceed all applicable position/labor category requirements as detailed in Section 2 of this Attachment and the applicable TO. The Contractor shall not consider armed guard/protective security experience earned prior to 18 years of age for the purposes of meeting position/labor category experience requirements.
8. Prior to beginning training, shall submit to and receive a negative result on drug and steroid testing (see C.10.2.2.5)
9. Successfully complete the training qualification and re-qualification proficiency requirements with the weapon(s) required by their respective position/labor category, as detailed in Section 2 of this Attachment and the applicable TO. Any accommodations (e.g., glasses, hearing aids, prostheses, etc.) required to successfully complete training must be used in the performance of duties for the duration of employment on the contract.

2.4.6.3​​Canine Handler – Guard (CH-G) (S)
Responsibilities:
A. Provide on and off compound detection of explosive materials.
B. Perform daily maintenance training (i.e., performance and explosives detection) and maintain training records for assigned detection dogs.
C. Maintain the day-to-day health and welfare of assigned detection dogs.
D. Maintain all assigned canine-related equipment (see Attachment 6, Standard Equipment).
E. Perform basic canine emergency first-aid as needed.

Qualifications:
For bio approval, the CH-G shall meet the following qualifications:
A. Must be a US citizen.
B. Must possess NAPWDA certification or equivalent national/state/provincial military or law enforcement certification as a working dog handler.
C. Must possess a minimum of two (2) years’ experience as a military or law enforcement dog handler.
D. Must possess a minimum of one (1) additional year of security-related experience.
E. Experience may be gained in the employ of any national, state, provincial, local, or commercial entities providing armed high threat protective services that require skills similar to those identified in the guard training course as outlined in SOW – Attachment 2, Training.
Upon bio approval, and before beginning work on the contract, the CH-G shall:
A. Attend and successfully complete the NPSS training course, as outlined in SOW – Attachment 2, Training.
B. Attend and successfully complete firearms training with the Glock-19 and M4, qualifying on those firearms specified in the task order.
C. Attend and successfully complete training, to be a minimum of three (3) hours in length, addressing the following topics:
1. Recognition of improvised explosive devices (IED) and explosive materials, both in general and relating specifically to the task order area of operations.
2. Safe explosives handling, explosives storage protocols, and explosives transportation protocols, to include protocols for avoiding cross-contamination of explosive training materials.
3. Phase one (1) of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BATF) National Odor Recognition Test (NORT)
4. Phase two (2) of the North American Police Work Dog Association (NAPWDA) certification test.
D. Obtain and maintain a personnel security clearance as specified in the task order.
E. Complete the DS Physical Readiness Test at the 50% performance level, and maintain that fitness level for the duration of his/her service on the task order.
F. Possess no impediments to traveling overseas to and within countries that are considered dangerous or unhealthy in general, or to the country or countries assigned in the applicable task order in specific.
Old 6 August 2018, 13:46

Thank you all for the info. Hope it all goes through. I at least feel a little more confident moving forward.

Respectfully
Old 6 August 2018, 18:47

Quote:

Is it possible for the Customer/ DoS to change these requirements mid contract? I would think that they would have to state what they require before a companies bid initially?
Old 6 August 2018, 19:08
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangorilla83 View Post
Is it possible for the Customer/ DoS to change these requirements mid contract? I would think that they would have to state what they require before a companies bid initially?
Can't speak for other contracts, but the DoS contract I was on the requirements, both for hiring and supposedly to remain employed, changed significantly and almost weekly. One of the many reasons I left.
Old 6 August 2018, 23:45
Been There Done That

State can ammend the contract at will, and per TO. However, if you’re still thinking of the “letter of good standing,” that is not a qualification or experience issue. It’s a personality issue between you and the employer and has no bearing on the requirements.
Old 8 August 2018, 22:03

Quote:
State can ammend the contract at will, and per TO. However, if you’re still thinking of the “letter of good standing,” that is not a qualification or experience issue. It’s a personality issue between you and the employer and has no bearing on the requirements.
It all came down to one persons interpretation. So I had to go a different direction. At this point it all looks like it will work out; just going to take a little effort.

From the very little time I have been in the contracting world, it seems things like this are just the norm. Learning to just ride the wave.
Old 8 August 2018, 23:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangorilla83 View Post

From the very little time I have been in the contracting world, it seems things like this are just the norm. Learning to just ride the wave.
One of the 1st rules of contracting.
Old 9 August 2018, 02:21
Been There Done That

BIO requirements, while written in the contract, are typically up to the interpretation of the individual BIO reviewer. You can re-submit your BIO if it is rejected. However, after three rejections, you're riding the pine for that particular CLIN for a year. If the PM is positively engaged with DOS, your BIO can be hand carried to the weekly DOS vendor meeting for discussion with the individual desk officer(s) for that particular task order. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not so much.

Our new posting rules