Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > Recon Marines

Old 13 May 2011, 20:46

Camp Talega

In Dec of 2009 I had the opportunity to visit Camp Talega once home of 1st reconnaissance battalion which was my first duty station in the FMF straight out of ITS. It has been 30 years since I last saw the place and I had read at one time it was turned into a museum, but now it is in various stages of renovation and is rented out to the Boy Scouts and Corporate functions.

The Quonset huts are still there but are being fitted with new windows and air conditioners, so the occupants will never experience surviving the nights with just a fan in the summer, or in the winter having to go out at night to fill the jerry can with Kerosene because the heater went dry and you were lowest rank on deck.

With the new weather tight doors the guests won’t be inundated with the tarantulas that seasonally over ran the base and were masters at getting inside the Quonset huts. Fortunately they are not aggressive, but for someone from the north not accustomed to spiders that big it took a little getting used to.

The parade deck up the hill is just as it was although the general lack of maintenance is noticeable through out the camp and many of the huts were inaccessible, however, they did add a Woman’s head and a serenity fountain that look oddly out of place in Talega.

I wondered around and found the Quonset hut were I received my first article 15 and although I cant remember what company I was in I can remember 1st Gerald and SSgt Ross who were kind enough to guided me through my NJP.

The party area (below the basketball court where my self, Pvt Dewitt and Pvt Mason went through our initiation and then got drunker then Cooter brown, we were finally released at about 4:00am then up at 6:00am for BN Pt. The drinking song is etched in my memory (Drink M.F., Drink M.F., Drink!)

Then finally on my out I found where the old armory was and the gate guard house where I spent many nights freezing my tale off while on guard duty, which came as quite a surprise to a Yankee from Milwaukee who always associated Southern California as hot and sunny.

I snapped a couple of pictures of the base, but not sure how to post them.
Old 13 May 2011, 23:10
Been There Done That

Camp Talega, oh the memories. Happy Valley, the Powerline run, SgtMaj D's 100 4-count pushups at battalion PT, etc. One of the best times of my life, even though we lived in crappy conditions. The whole time I was there, 1stSgt Gerald was in Bravo company (83-86).
Old 14 May 2011, 07:53
Confirmed User

I made the trip out to Talega in December of 2010. I was amazed at the questions I recieved from several SNCOs and a young Major. For the record, I don't know anything about bows, arrows and MP vehicles.
Old 14 May 2011, 08:44
Semi-Old Fart

I'll take any or all then or now flicks of Talega for the 1st Recon Assn. site at http://www.1streconbnassociation.org...lowSiteMap.htm. My email is on my profile. Please use it to contact me.

SF

Old 14 May 2011, 13:57

1st Sgt Gerald was there in 81 as well - different company maybe? I think the Quonset huts were the last ones on the left as you entered the base. I stopped in to see him just before I was discharged in Oct 83 while we were talking one of the recon marines was parachuting and his shoot went over the highway and was snagged by a car that drug the jumper down the road! 1stSgt Gerald was a good Marine and well respected in the company.

Our new posting rules