Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 15 June 2011, 08:55
Been There Done That

Fort Benning (MCOE) doing away with vehicle stickers

There are alot of changes going on at Fort Benning (MCOE), and this, no vehicle sticker rule is only part of it:

Fort Benning ‘doing away’ with stickers on vehicles

By BEN WRIGHT - benw@ledger-enquirer.com

Under a policy that went into effect on Tuesday, a Department of Defense sticker or day pass is no longer required for motorists entering Fort Benning.

“We are doing away with the need to have stickers on vehicles,” Monica Manganaro, a public affairs spokeswoman said Tuesday.

The change will allow visitors to drive to an access point, show a driver’s license and enter the post without stopping at the visitor’s center to get a pass. The visitor centers are set to close under the change, saving the government some money by having fewer people at the access points.

Fort Benning, home of the Infantry and Armor Schools creating the Maneuver Center of Excellence, is ahead of many Army posts, “but the Air Force and the Navy have already instituted this,” Manganaro said.

The new policy is aimed at protecting personnel who work on the military installation.

“Across the board, it is a matter of force protection,” she said. “It doesn’t identify a vehicle as belonging to a Department of Defense employee. Just having the sticker on a vehicle can potentially make an individual a target.”

In addition to military personnel and their dependents, Manganaro said civilian government employees, retirees and contractors with frequent business on post use Department of Defense stickers on their vehicles. All of the employees and other staff have been told to start removing the decals, she said. For soldiers reassigned to the post, no registration is required to drive the vehicle on post.

“Just go to the gate and show your driver’s license or military ID,” she said.

More high-tech equipment allows officers at the access point to collect information from drivers. When a visitor or military personnel drives through the gate and shows his or her ID, the information is scanned and placed into a database, Manganaro said.

“We will have methods to determine who is coming onto Fort Benning,” she said.

Four months ago, Maj. Gen. Robert Brown welcomed more residents to come on post to play golf and attend other events.

“This supports that absolutely,” Manganaro said. “Individuals and a lot of people who are in the area hesitate to come onto Fort Benning because they weren’t sure whether they were authorized.”

On July 2, visitors can enter the post unencumbered and take part in the Independence Day celebration, she said

Read more: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2011/...#ixzz1PLealexg
Old 15 June 2011, 09:11
Odin's Underling

I am headed down there in mid July and will let you know how easy or complicated it is. Sounds like it might make movement on and around the base much easier.

Quote:
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely won’t be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.
Old 15 June 2011, 09:55
Authorized Personnel

Does anyone feal having DoD decals has improved security on a base?
Old 15 June 2011, 10:25
Living the dream

Unless decals are cross referenced to drivers at each point of entry, what purpose do they serve that a standard registration check does not? I don't think they do anything other than avoid having to show proof of insurance every time you come on post. Seems like that's always been the biggest concern every time I got a new sticker.
Old 15 June 2011, 12:16
Confirmed User

Air Force bases in Colorado Springs did away with decals some time ago since 100% ID check is constant. Fort Carson, as of a few months ago made you get one anyway. It will probably change as the Army does away with them.
Old 15 June 2011, 12:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojinbukai View Post
Unless decals are cross referenced to drivers at each point of entry, what purpose do they serve that a standard registration check does not?
I agree with that. I think the individual ID check is the best way to go for the purpose of security. The decals -- like everything else -- could be counterfeited anyway. The personal ID check allows for some "facetime" with the driver, at least.
Old 15 June 2011, 15:37
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojinbukai View Post
Unless decals are cross referenced to drivers at each point of entry, what purpose do they serve that a standard registration check does not? I don't think they do anything other than avoid having to show proof of insurance every time you come on post. Seems like that's always been the biggest concern every time I got a new sticker.
+1. It just lets the gate guard know all the apperwork was up-to-date when the sticker was issued. Also keeps POS cars off-base. Otherwise a waste of time.
Old 15 June 2011, 17:11

32nd Street in San Diego used to have parking restrictions based on your rate/rank. The biggest perk to making 3rd class was the parking. I had always assumed it was that way on most military bases.

Is parking still restricted on any bases?
Old 15 June 2011, 17:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfen-FL View Post
Does anyone feal having DoD decals has improved security on a base?
Not a bit. For three reasons:

1. In this day and age, if there's a suspicious vehicle, the LEOs will run the tags against the State DMV Database anyway. Prior to 9/11 and going back to the 50's, it was harder to run tags for DoD LEOs. So the decal system was a way to maintain relevant information locally without tasking the civil system.

2. I can't recall a single instance where anyone ever used the information collected from a decal application.

3. The threats we face are human, and the vehicle is just a tool.

IIRC, Fort Belvoir refuses to change and the other bases around it have to keep the decal system because of it. To the tune of 21 million dollars a year.

ETA: A concealed RFID tag set as a transponder vice beacon would be one way to speed up transiting an entry point.

Last edited by Tracy; 15 June 2011 at 17:58.
Old 15 June 2011, 17:57
Been There Done That

Entrance to Fort Benning With Statues, Flag Poles, Water fountains under construction

I went out to see what the entrance to Fort Benning (MCOE) was changing into after reading this article. I can report that these statues, the flags, new grass, etc, are pretty much under contruction, BUT even the statues are huge on these very large pedestals, are jaw dropping. The Follow Me statue is up on its pedestal now with cavalry trooper soon to follow. To say its a distractrion while driving on post, is an understatement, and they haven't even finished with the project yet.

Gateway project sees progress with arrival of statues
By Thomas Morrison / Special to The Bayonet

The Follow Me and Trooper of the Plains statues arrived last week at what will be a gateway to Fort Benning at the I-185 interchange at Victory Drive.

Entering post, drivers will see two 50-foot pedestals standing on either side of the interstate with a Follow Me statue on one side and the Trooper of the Plains statue on the other. Representing the Infantry and Armor schools, the 12-foot statues, built by Bronze Services of Loveland, Colo., weigh more than 1,200 pounds.

ÒThe Trooper of the Plains was much more difficult to produce,Ó OÕGorman said. The only reproduction the company could find was 2-feet tall and located in China. Bronze Services hired an artist named Pat Kennedy to re-sculpt the figure and make it six times larger. The sculpture took almost eight months to complete, he said.
- Trooper of the Plains

We went (to Fort Benning) five years ago and cut the original fiberglass Follow Me down to make molds,Ó said Tom OÕGorman, Bronze Services of Loveland president. Another sculpture was made for Maneuver Center of Excellence headquarters building and both took about five months to produce, he said. The original was designed by Soldiers and can be seen in Fort BenningÕs Infantry museum.

John Flournoy, chairman of the Columbus Gateways Foundation, said the initial cost of the Fort Benning gateway was estimated at $5.5 million. The project, funded with $2 million from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, $2 million from the Georgia Department of Transportation’s Surface Transportation Program, and the Columbus Gateways Foundation, exceeded the budget.

“The stimulus money also came with a lot of red tape,” he said, “and caused the project to fall a year-and-a-half behind.”

After four years, residents can expect the gateway to be finished by September, with the majority of the work being wrapped up next week, Flournoy said.

The 56-acre gateway at the primary entrance to Fort Benning should have been done a long time ago, Flournoy said.

“This will help the morale for not only Soldiers, but also for the families they leave here,” he said.

Ten American flags will stand on each side of the road with 20-foot fountains in front of each. Both the flags and fountains will be lighted at night. Leaving post, drivers will see two more 50-foot pedestals with two bronze and steel eagles on either side of the interstate. The landscaping cost more than $1 million and includes an irrigation system. Ongoing care will be managed by the city of Columbus, he said. The foundation’s next project is the Traffic Circle at the intersection of Victory Drive and Benning Road

Read more: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2011/...#ixzz1PNo7BBaZ

I would much better see money spent on the military, then sending money to say Pakistan so that they can be our friend.

Last edited by agonyea; 3 September 2011 at 21:05.
Old 15 June 2011, 22:15

Fort Knox still uses the decals..active, retired, civilian, and contractors. Everyone else must stop and get a visitors pass.

Totally useless for reasons stated above.

If you get a new automobile, better scrape the old decal off or they will raise hell with you, when you stop at vehicle registration to get a new one.
Old 2 October 2011, 11:24
Been There Done That

Per ALARACT 343/2011, "Effective immediately, motor vehicle registration and the display of DD FORM 2220, Vehicle Decal, is no longer required for access to Army installations."

'Bout time!
Old 2 October 2011, 12:13
Confirmed User

Local commanders can still do it, they just don't get money for it.

I hope that mine doesn't
Old 2 October 2011, 12:29
Preparing to defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPCOA View Post
Local commanders can still do it, they just don't get money for it.

I hope that mine doesn't
I'm with you, bro
Old 2 October 2011, 22:39
Retired Paratrooper, 1 ea

Bout time is right. I tried about a month ago to get on Ft Campbell. I had my Active Duty CAC but because my Ft Bragg sticker was expired I could not get on. "Well Chief, you are authorized on Fort Campbell, but since you do not have a valid DOD sticker, your vehicle is not." Had to get a visitors pass. I've always thought the stickers were a pain in the ass and really didn't do anything except identify you as a Soldier.
Old 2 October 2011, 22:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I've always thought the stickers were a pain in the ass and really didn't do anything except identify you as a Soldier.
Ditto. While it's up to the installation commanders, I hope sanity prevails. Though I'm not too hopeful when it comes to the PNW area. As it is now, it's a way for them to mandate emissions testing even if you reside in a county that doesn't require it (because the post is in a county that requires it).
Old 4 October 2011, 18:37
Been There Done That

my post will continue to use them, until a new memo comes out....

where they have helped is when a LEO is standing at the door deciding if I need a warning or a ticket. that's about it.

the down side is, it also helps ID a vehicle to the bad guys if they choose to target them.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 5 October 2011, 17:29
CombatWombat
Visitor

This is a force protection issue. I won't say more here. Bottom line, though, is that local commanders who continue to require these stickers will have some questions to answer at higher levels.
Old 5 October 2011, 18:09
Confirmed User

The base decals are complete bullshit and do nothing for "security." You have to get a visitors pass for a POV before you can drive on, however, can show a rental car agreement for a rental vehicle and drive on!? Another interesting thing is that there are exceptions, based on rank:

Quote:
The requirement to affix the DD Form 2220 to the front windshield or bumper of registered vehicles is waived for general officers and flag officers of all Armed Services.
I hate having a sticker on my vehicle.

Last edited by bubblehead; 5 October 2011 at 18:12.

Our new posting rules