Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 11 July 2011, 12:56
Banned User

WPPS and WPS Differnece

Ok, I have searched for an answer to this but cant find EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Im sure its on here somewhere but the search feature has not provided it yet. I have read the WPPS/WPS consolidated info post among others but they still didn't answer it fully.

What exactly is the difference in a WPPS and WPS contract other than the word "Personal". From what I thought, it was wpps is PSD and wps is static but after researching it appears that there are mobile PSD teams under the WPS contracts. I am slated to go to training for one of the "big three" companies for (what im under the impression is) a PSD position. On the vetting and other paperwork i received it all says WPPS in front of it except for the bio pack which is the WPS bio. Is the wpps and wps training course and jobs the same or am i way off base in all of the above info? Thank you advance

Should I call the recruiter and ask or just take whatever is given to me and be grateful?
Old 11 July 2011, 13:03
Banned User

sorry for the "Difference" typo but i don't see where to edit it.
Old 11 July 2011, 13:10
Hard on equipment

If you are going for a WPS contract then your WPS training will be significantly longer than for the WPPS. Basically the same shit just more stuff like off road driving etc...

You really don't need to worry about all that... If you get hired by any company for a DoS mobil/PSD contract be very happy and go pass the class.

The class is not a wink wink nudge nudge... We lost 1/3 of our class.

Basically they are just different contract names...

Like I said... just get an opportunity to go to the class, pass it and get deployed and whichever company you go with will tell you what you need to do and just do it...

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 11 July 2011, 13:34
Confirmed User

Reaper, it is the same contract. Just a new name with new players. It originally started as WPPS. Then it in 2006 is was WPPS 2. Now it is WPS. I believe that DoS HTP dropped the "Personal" so that it would better incorporates both personal and static protection. Every evolution brings new training classes which also extends training time. Hope this answers your question.

Your offer letter should tell you what you are being hired for. If it isn't clear then ask your recruiter.
Old 11 July 2011, 14:01
Banned User

ok great! you guys answered it for me! I appreciate your quick and informative responses. I look forward to further interaction with the great guys on this site.
Old 11 July 2011, 14:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCastro View Post
Reaper, it is the same contract. Just a new name with new players. It originally started as WPPS. Then it in 2006 is was WPPS 2. Now it is WPS. I believe that DoS HTP dropped the "Personal" so that it would better incorporates both personal and static protection.
Castro is correct. This is now the third evolution of worldwide protection services. To elaborate just a little more the WPS program encompasses PSS (PSD), TCN Guard Force (Static), NPSS (support roles such as K9), and ERT (QRF). Some companies are putting guys through the 42 day PSS and then a 5 day ERT. They are ERT guys (static, in bearcats, at the ECP), but with the training to assume PSS responsibilities in the event of rotational vacancies.

The current WPS III 42 day PSS ciriculum is basically the DSS High Threat course, given to entry level agents. As training progresses with PSS classes recommendations are being made, by the training providers, on "tweaks" to the ciriculum in order to improve the training experience.

WPPS is no more. I think possibly you are seeing paperwork that has not yet been corrected to reflect the current DoS program verbage.

Tripod
Old 13 July 2011, 18:26
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
...WPPS is no more. I think possibly you are seeing paperwork that has not yet been corrected to reflect the current DoS program verbage...
Not necessarily correct. There are still active WPPS II sites out there (with a couple slotted to receive extensions) and guys that are being hired to fill slots on those TOs are being sent to the WPPS II course in order to fill the needed slots ASAP without worrying about training to the WPS standard (also cheaper). The thought is that if/when the sites convert to WPS, they will already have WPS approved bios and it will be easier to just rotate guys through the transition course.
Old 13 July 2011, 21:03
Authorized Personnel

Right on. I guess I didnt think of the still active TO's that fall under the WPPS II standard. Just curious, what primes out there are in this situation?
Old 14 July 2011, 20:58
Still Learning!

Quote:
Right on. I guess I didnt think of the still active TO's that fall under the WPPS II standard. Just curious, what primes out there are in this situation?
First rule of Fight Club.....
Old 15 July 2011, 19:16
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
First rule of Fight Club.....
Wasn't that a movie about a sociopathic schizophrenic that jacked off into peoples food, hooked up with some skank, developed a network of anarchists that wanted to bring down the US financial system, lost his job, shot himself in the head (but lived), and then blew up about 20 buildings, and then.....

Sorry, I dont really see how it relates to the DoS WPS program
Old 16 July 2011, 01:20
NKDA

Quote:
Sorry, I dont really see how it relates to the DoS WPS program
I believe what he meant (and Miguel, correct me if I'm wrong) is that I'm not going to publicly disclose/distribute the company name(s)...and he would be correct.

As in, "the first rule of Fight Club is...don't talk about Fight Club".

I was offering a generic explanation to settle a dispute. The info is accurate and first-hand. No need to go any further.
Old 16 July 2011, 06:18
Authorized Personnel

I know what he meant.

The info I was asking for you to share isn't close hold. TO's and company names are discussed on here all the time. But youre right, no need to go any further, because it really isnt all that important.
Old 16 July 2011, 07:40
Still Learning!

There are different directions from the customer about communications between the newest iteration of the program.

A24 hit the nail on the head a few months back and now I know exactly why he was so limited in discussing certain things.

Last edited by Miguel; 16 July 2011 at 07:47.
Old 16 July 2011, 07:41
Still Learning!

[QUOTE=Tripod;1058009952]The info I was asking for you to share isn't close hold. TO's and company names are discussed on here all the time.[QUOTE]

I think you'll see that change brother.
Old 16 July 2011, 11:55
Authorized Personnel

That probably wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 16 July 2011, 20:11
Verified SOF

Things were so much easier when everyone worked for DynCorp.... and it was just called W.P.P.S.
Old 26 December 2011, 14:29

WPS Training

I thought this thread would be appropriate for this question. I have been through WPPS 2 at BW/USTC in 2006 and WPS 3 training this past year with O'gara. Currently trying to get on a contract with USTC/Academi. They are saying that I have to do WPS 3 again because State doesn't recognize O'gara's WPS training, yet I just came off of a State Dept. WPS 3 contract within the past month. It just doesn't make sense, now I am gonna being going to fill a WPPS 2 spot but shouldn't WPS 3 be enough. I understand if they put me through a transition course, but to go through the whole training again just doesn't seem cost effective and doesn't make sense.
Old 26 December 2011, 14:48
On the Extract Bird

I am presently working under a WPS 3 contract and trying to get on with BW and I was told via email by a WPPS/WPS PMA/Class Liaison, " we do not except certs from any other company. Academi’s training is set at a higher standard, so you would have to come here and train". "Training is completed in Moyock, NC at the Academi. The training is about 3 weeks. We handle your flight, hotel and meals during training. Training pay is $150.00 a day".
Old 26 December 2011, 14:53

That has to be a company thing though, I just don't see how they can say that State doesn't recognize an O'Gara cert if w were recently deployed under this cert into a State WPS contract. I Have been through there WPPS course and I agree they do have a higher standard, so I guess from a company stand point it makes sense, just doesn't seem very cost effective to the client (State).
Old 26 December 2011, 18:23
Authorized Personnel

The hiring company most certainly has the right to make you attend WPS again. Just like I've mentioned several times, some companies require PT tests regardless of position (even if the WPS exhibit doesn't require it). Exhibit E and Exhibit F of the WPS contract outline the minimum training requirements. Companies are free to have higher procurement or graduation/deployment standards. I work for O'Gara and I don't take it as a personal smack in the face that Academi won't accept our certs. I guess they just don't want to accept the liability of deploying you with somebody else's stamp of approval on you. Not a bad way to do business in my opinion.

Our new posting rules