Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > SEAL Phony Check - DO NOT post before Reading the stickies

Old 31 July 2011, 11:24

Navy SEAL verification please.

Good Morning,

I have been debating about posting this verification for a while and I would hate to question the service of a real Navy SEAL. I didn't really start having doubts about the man's claims until I came across this forum. I saw a few posts and threads here which made question his resume. Anyway, to make a long story short, I hope that he is legit but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially considering that he is teaching junior ROTC.

The individual's name is Jerry Polk (100% sure about the REAL name). According to the claims (both verbal and wearing the SEAL Trident) he would have been a SEAL sometime in the 1970s with combat tours in Vietnam. He has told us some pretty wild stories about operating all over the world, being stabbed, shot, and blown up, etc. He is currently a Navy Junior ROTC instructor at a high school in Michigan. His stories do have some detail which is why I'm not totally sure if he's real or fake.

Thank you in advance.

RT30
Old 31 July 2011, 11:58
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoTango30 View Post
Good Morning,

The individual's name is Jerry Polk (100% sure about the REAL name). According to the claims (both verbal and wearing the SEAL Trident) he would have been a SEAL sometime in the 1970s with combat tours in Vietnam. He has told us some pretty wild stories about operating all over the world, being stabbed, shot, and blown up, etc. He is currently a Navy Junior ROTC instructor at a high school in Michigan. His stories do have some detail which is why I'm not totally sure if he's real or fake.

Thank you in advance.

RT30
RT30
We have no Polk of anykind on the SEAL Database. Your "(100% sure about the REAL name)" is an excellent aid.

Cass
Old 31 July 2011, 16:37

WOW! This is crazy. I was thinking for sure that I would be told this guy is a decorated war hero. Well, looks like I have some work to do. I work in Federal Law Enforcement and I'm currently in touch with a few guys from The FBI that would be able to give me a hand with this. I will also contact the cadet chain of command at the school and advise them of the issue.

Aviation Electrician's Mate First Class: Jerry G Polk, U.S. Navy (Retired)

This is how his name appears in the PDF document in a school flyer talking about Junior Navy ROTC. Although it does not list him as a SEAL in this document, he does wear the SEAL Trident on his BDUs and has on many occasions told "war stories".

I will absolutely keep all of you posted on any progress or updates. I would ask everyone not to try and burn this guy yourself until I have all my ducks in a row.

Thank you again for your time gentlemen.
Old 31 July 2011, 16:49
Administrator

If you haven't noticed, anyone who doesn't follow the rules for this forum will be temp'ed banned. Repeat offenders will be gone forever.
Old 31 July 2011, 16:52

Cass,

Thank you very much for your time and effort in verifying this name. I was really hoping that this wouldn't be the case and that Polk was a real SEAL, looks like there is going to be a shit storm coming his way. If you or any other SEALs or moderators have any advice on how to proceed with "burning" this guy, I'm all ears. I know that getting his service records through official channels is the way to go but I'm guessing that your database is just as accurate.

Thanks Again.

RT30
Old 31 July 2011, 16:54
Administrator

RT30 - I found this contact info for you from a Google search:
CAPT Dennis L . Hopkins or Petty Officer First Class Jerry Polk, who are the leaders of the Frankin High School NJROTC program. PM me for phone numbers and e-mail addresses. I think the Captain would be your first call.
Old 31 July 2011, 17:37

10-4 Sir. I was thinking the same thing. I already have the contact info and I will definately be giving him a call. I will also call the LTC and MAJ who run the Detroit Public Schools Junior ROTC program. I used to help them out with summer camps and I know both of them fairly well. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks agian for your help.
Old 1 August 2011, 07:28

Here is somewhat of an update on this story:

I contacted a friend of mine who is currently in the Army. My buddy has first hand knowledge of Polk and all of his SEAL claims. My buddy is also very well connected within the JROTC staff in Detroit. The reaction is what I expected. He doubted the validity of my sources (SOCNET.com as well as Don Shipley) and advised me to have "Official" Navy records in hand proving that Polk is not a SEAL before I went forward with this matter and started notifying people who can actually do something about it. I have a feeling that because Polk is a "nice guy" and a well liked JROTC instructor, people are going to act like kids the first time they're told Santa isn't real.

The second part of this story is that Polk has managed to stay out of the papers with his SEAL service claims. Also, I have been unable to find any pictures of him wearing the Trident. As far as evidence goes, all of his SEAL, Purple Heart, Bronze Star, etc. claims are verbal at this point. I'm sure there are pictures floating out there (most likely Facebook), but I haven't been able to locate any. The best I could do so far was locate a video of the high school JROTC rifle team. I know the guy giving a speech halfway through the video is Polk, but it is far too blurry to actually make out anything on his uniform. I have also requested a FOIA request through the Navy for his official records. If anyone can advise me further on this situation I am more than happy to follow through on this matter.

Thanks again.

RT30
Old 1 August 2011, 11:42
BTDT

RT30
That is SOP for posing SEALs when caught. Accuse the accuser. I have found it a standard reaction that by the time a SEAL poser's name is placed in front of me the poser has already encircirled themselves with friendlies whom all swear that the poser is as who he says he is. If a SEAL verfiyer, such as myself, goes into another Website to declare a poser as a fake SEAL, then I myself am accused of telling falsehoods, and "Who are you" "What is your official standing". Well you don't need an official standing to call a poser a fake. It is the true SEAL whom is prepared to come forward with proof of their Team service if the true SEAL is accused of false service claims.
Old 1 August 2011, 13:50
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoTango30 View Post
If you or any other SEALs or moderators have any advice on how to proceed with "burning" this guy, I'm all ears.

First and foremost, don't let him know you are on to him. Gather evidence, pictures, video, audio. Capture pictures from his FB page or whatever. Document everything, write notes after a conversation of claims he made. Ask him what BUD/S class he was in, what team he was in, platoon, etc...

Without proof, when confronted by his superiors, he'll tell them it was a miss-understanding and he never made these claims. Even with proof, he'll likely make claims of "black ops", "sealed records", etc...

If you get evidence, post it in here.
"Better to live alone in the desert than with a nagging wife" - Proverbs 21:19
Old 1 August 2011, 13:57
The Copenhagen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchanu View Post
First and foremost, don't let him know you are on to him. Gather evidence, pictures, video, audio. Capture pictures from his FB page or whatever. Document everything, write notes after a conversation of claims he made. Ask him what BUD/S class he was in, what team he was in, platoon, etc...

Ditto. This is sound advice.

CH

Born Again But Too Late To Atone...
Old 1 August 2011, 14:25

Gathering evidence seems to be the issue. The fact that he's older is most likely the reason why there is no Facebook page, MySpace, etc. Everyone knows that he wears The SEAL Trident at JROTC functions, formals, summer camps, etc. The real issue is that no one seems to know where I can get a picture of him. I'm sure there are photos out there somewhere, but they're not easy to find and I can't seem to find anyone on Facebook with these pictures.

Regardless there is no doubt in anyone's mind that he claims SEAL status, therefore it won't be an issue when his service record is questioned. It's not like he wore the Trident once or told some kid a story, this guy actually lives this lie. I think I'm going to his CPT and through the JROTC chain of command. If anyone can provide me with points of contact for official inquiries, please let me know. I'm guessing that his reaction and the reaction from the chain of command will be something along the lines of:

"Where did you get this crap? Some website"? or " Yea right, how would they know if he was a SEAL, do you have his DD-214 or his personnel file"?

In order to come at this guy with both barrels I would like some more ammo. For example a point of contact at the Naval Special Warfare Center, DOD, or Dept. of The Navy.

Once again any help or advise is appreciated and I'll keep everyone updated.

RT-30
Old 1 August 2011, 15:03
BTDT

RT30
I believe the phone number for the PAO is (619) 522-2823. Be sure to explain your poser is a JROTC instructor and not just some bar fly you are checking on.
Old 1 August 2011, 17:11
Administrator

RT-30,

The Asst Operations officer at BUD/S is a long time friend. He has access to everyone that completed BUD/S (just as Cass, T-86, and myself have) and I will provide you his name and number when the Captain is ready to "find out for himself". I will also be happy to talk to the Captain and will provide my .mil and phone number.
Old 1 August 2011, 18:10

Sounds like a plan. I called the number Cass provided and left a voicemail. Tomorrow I will contact the CPT at the JRTOC program. I'll let everyone know how that conversation goes.

Thanks.
Old 1 August 2011, 19:12

Cass,

I called the number and spoke to one of the PAOs. He said that although he did not have access to the database, the other PAO did. However, she is currently out of the office until August 8th. I will call back August 8th and get the official answer.

Thanks.

RT30
Old 1 August 2011, 19:40

So here is yet another update.

I just spoke to my friend(E-6 ARMY) who just spoke to the Command Sergeant Major regarding this issue. The CSM pretty much runs day to day operations for the Detroit Public Schools ROTC Program. The CSM pretty much told me the same thing that my E-6 buddy told.

Both of them feel that I need to have something from either the Navy, DOD, or NSWC, in writing, that says Polk was not a SEAL. I offered to direct them to the phone number Cass provided but both of them feel that paper work is more convincing than an E-8 in the Navy telling you them that this guy was never a SEAL, go figure.

Frog,

Considering the circumstances, I think that contacting your friend at BUDS is a good idea. I'm about to call the LTC who is in charge of JROTC for the area and it would be nice to have some sort of paper work. Again, if you simply want me to point them in your direction via email or phone, that works too.

Let me know.

RT30
Old 1 August 2011, 21:35
Administrator

RT-30, PM sent.
Old 2 August 2011, 01:53
Been There Done That

I'm attempting to contact the Navy Recruiting Station in Livonia, MI. There is no way in hell that this guy wore a Trident without the recruiter that covers Franklin High School at least catching a glimpse of it. I'll let you guys know what I find out.
Old 2 August 2011, 07:06

Frog,

Reply sent. Thank you.

Our new posting rules