Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 11 September 2011, 13:13
Certified Gypsy Soul

100 Push Ups

Just started this program, thought I would share with all of you. Maybe some of you have already gave this one a go. If so whats your thoughts?

I started on Week 3 after I did my initial PU test.

Will show results after I am done with the program (Maybe this could be helpful for guys/girls trying to max out their APFT.)

http://www.hundredpushups.com/index.html
"The person who says practice makes perfect doesn't know what he is talking about...Perfect is an illusion created by people who always wants to be disappointed in themselves. Rather....Practice makes Better!"
Old 11 September 2011, 14:37
Authorized Personnel

I did that program back at the airport a few years ago with Buzz, good stuff.

Confirmed as a"Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard" by a co-worker in Mosul Iraq 22 May 2006.

"I'm a Black Jew at a Nazi Klan rally. LET'S GET IT ON!" Ted Nugent 2008

"I'm a fairly dangerous man when I'm scared!"
Old 11 September 2011, 14:44
Certified Gypsy Soul

Awesome I'm here now at the same spot. I will try to repeat the same history you did with this program lol.

Still going for the gold!!!!!
"The person who says practice makes perfect doesn't know what he is talking about...Perfect is an illusion created by people who always wants to be disappointed in themselves. Rather....Practice makes Better!"
Old 11 September 2011, 16:42
PutTheWetStuffOnRedStuff

I did this program and I like it. I found that for me, placing a time limit on my last max set(1 min for me) helped me to be consistent and better track my progress, rather than taking short breaks in the leaning rest and eeking out a few push-ups at a time until I collapsed.

There are similar programs for sit-ups(200) and pull-ups(25) that I like, as well.
Old 11 September 2011, 17:04
Ne Obliviscaris

I had a DI in boot camp back in 99' who said you should do at least a 100 push ups a day as well as a 100 crunches cumulative. He said no matter what...if you did these everyday...you'd never be out of shape. I listened and to this day I do a 100 and a 100. I run, bike and swim whenever I can but my core workout is 5 sets of 20 (with the perfect pushup gizmo which I think was invented by a SEAL), 5 sets of 10 curls with 50lb dumbbells, 5 sets of standing overhead raises with 50lb dumbbells, and 100 crunches on the decline.
Old 11 September 2011, 17:47
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Icon5

Is the initial test measuring how many pushups you can do without stopping for any rest, or how many you can do without coming out of the front leaning rest position?

The website seems to be a bit ambiguous....
Old 11 September 2011, 17:52
PutTheWetStuffOnRedStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Is the initial test measuring how many pushups you can do without stopping for any rest, or how many you can do without coming out of the front leaning rest position?

Not sure what the program officially calls for but I based my initial test on a 2min period, therefore spending some time in the FLR.
Old 11 September 2011, 19:19
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:

I think you gotta pay to play this gay one. I'm on the iPhone now but I'm surrounded by stupid links. When will people realize that pushups, situps and pullups really do work if you push yourself? I'm all for pounding on a tire with a sledgehammer or lifting cowbells or kettle bells or whatever the hell you call them...but he best tool you have is your body. When people realize all the resistance you need is provided...all you have to do is start pushing...
Old 11 September 2011, 19:59
Confirmed User

Thanks for the post. For an out of shape slob like myself, this seems like a good program, both push ups and sit ups, to start getting in shape again. I will be starting this in the morning when I get up. If doing both programs, do you recommend doing them on the same day or alternating?
Old 11 September 2011, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311
I think you gotta pay to play this gay one....
I don't see why. If you wanted to follow their program, you only need go to their website -- their training regimen is there to see, free....
Old 11 September 2011, 20:26
Certified Gypsy Soul

Plus 2 on SOTB Post..

I never had to pay, I do know that a advertising window will pop up asking you to DL an app for the Iphone but you can always exit the window/pop up and continue the program for free.

To answer your question SOTB at least in my opinion, I did as many as I could including the ones I did in between the "resting position".
Old 11 September 2011, 20:42
PutTheWetStuffOnRedStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyscout33 View Post
Thanks for the post. For an out of shape slob like myself, this seems like a good program, both push ups and sit ups, to start getting in shape again. I will be starting this in the morning when I get up. If doing both programs, do you recommend doing them on the same day or alternating?
For a while, I did the push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups(in that order) in one workout 3 days a week. By the time I finished the sit-ups, it felt like I had recovered enough to do the pull-ups. The whole workout took 30 minutes or less.

I'm doing the Major Armstrong pull-up program now, so that requires me to break up the push-ups and pull-ups by at least 2-3 hours in between.

Last edited by Gumby2/6; 11 September 2011 at 20:52.
Old 11 September 2011, 20:50
Confirmed User

I did this program with a friend and we enjoyed it. It built a great foundation and we have since created our own workouts to keep pushing our limits. At age 40, I can do more pushups than I ever dreamed of doing at 20.
Old 12 September 2011, 16:52
Migratory Coconut

I did this program for a bit from the book and it was a good base for getting into a more challenging workout afterwards. The only problem I had is what the book considers a full pushup as compared to what other programs and the military do. It seemed to me that a full lockout of the elbow is the general rule in the military and other programs whereas in this program it seems to be an almost lock without going the full way due to wear and tear on the joint.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle

"If at first an idea does not sound absurd, then there is no hope for it." - Einstein
Old 14 September 2011, 10:52

For shits and grins, I started this program yesterday. I am doing the pushups, situps, and squats -- back-to-back.

After weighing the comments above in reference to what the actual "test" should look like, I decided to go with 2 min being the major parameter.

So yesterday's test looked like this:

60 pushups/63 situps/70 squats....
Old 14 September 2011, 11:04
Russian Tycoon

This is pretty cool. I was never able to move past 40-45 PUs. I'll give it a shot.
Old 14 September 2011, 13:46
Certified Gypsy Soul

Quote:
For shits and grins, I started this program yesterday. I am doing the pushups, situps, and squats -- back-to-back.

After weighing the comments above in reference to what the actual "test" should look like, I decided to go with 2 min being the major parameter.

So yesterday's test looked like this:

60 pushups/63 situps/70 squats....
Good Job!!!

You right there with me minus the squats. I am starting the 200 Situp Program along with the 100 Push Up Program side by side.
Old 19 September 2011, 07:42
A Texan in exile

Starting this tonight with my 14 year old son. I will be on week 3 and he will be on week 2. Will do 200 situps alongside it as well. Should be fun.
Old 19 September 2011, 13:46
Confirmed User

20 pull ups

You guys should consider adding pull ups to the mix. I found this site the other day and started it. I suck at pull ups, so it looks to be a bigger challenge for me than the 100 push ups was.

http://twentypullups.com/
Old 22 September 2011, 18:25
Confirmed User

Some buddies and I are going to do all four exercises...

My initial test numbers:
51 pushups, 52 situps, 84 squats, 14.875 pullups

Last edited by smoked; 22 September 2011 at 18:28.

Our new posting rules