Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 22 September 2011, 20:52
Russian Tycoon

Started off with Week 3. Day 3 definitely had me hurting.
Old 5 October 2011, 18:39
Russian Tycoon

The Plateau

So, I am repeating Week 4 the second time.

I am stuck in column 3, day 3 and struggling a lot
Old 5 October 2011, 18:58
PutTheWetStuffOnRedStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
So, I am repeating Week 4 the second time.

I am stuck in column 3, day 3 and struggling a lot
I hear ya. When I was doing this, it definitely got difficult quick, for me. I started on week 3 and did week 5 twice and week 6 three times.
Old 5 October 2011, 19:56
A Texan in exile

Yup, I started off week 3 column 3, day two moved to column two. Now week four, column two.

14 year is starting to smoke me though. Youth sucks.
Old 5 October 2011, 22:06
Russian Tycoon

Thanks for responding, Gentlemen. It's good to know I am not the only one struggling :)
Old 6 October 2011, 00:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
It's good to know I am not the only one struggling :)
Ha! Not alone Girl. I was just looking at what columns I will be doing tomorrow and smiled when I noticed the "longer if needed" for the rest interval. I'm all over that.

And, damn, my muscles aren't so much sore as they are tired.
Old 6 October 2011, 02:36
Been There Done That

The workout seems kind of repetitive. When I focus on improving my pushup score, I generally only do pushups when my chest / triceps are already tired as I believe* doing the pushups that simulate the last 10-15 reps that you can do (y'know the last few you try to squeeze out on your PT test) produces the most improvement. Tabata intervals are good for accomplishing this in a short time but also adding pushups throughout or at the end of a chest workout (bench/flys/dips, etc.) has helped me. Crossfit type HIIT workouts also help reach that level of really struggling to get your reps without having to do hundreds of repetitions. When I was younger, I'd do hundreds of reps to improve my score, but I'd get slight tendonitis in my elbows and wrists as well... now, I see more improvement by not doing as many pushups, but just making them more difficult to do :) Good luck with reaching your goals.

*not backed up by any scientific proof, but I do get more than 100+ pushups on a PT test.

ETA: Also, when training, I go chest to ground... when testing, I go one fist above.

Last edited by MeatLasagna; 6 October 2011 at 02:38.
Old 6 October 2011, 07:36
Certified Gypsy Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatLasagna View Post
The workout seems kind of repetitive. When I focus on improving my pushup score, I generally only do pushups when my chest / triceps are already tired as I believe* doing the pushups that simulate the last 10-15 reps that you can do (y'know the last few you try to squeeze out on your PT test) produces the most improvement. Tabata intervals are good for accomplishing this in a short time but also adding pushups throughout or at the end of a chest workout (bench/flys/dips, etc.) has helped me. Crossfit type HIIT workouts also help reach that level of really struggling to get your reps without having to do hundreds of repetitions. When I was younger, I'd do hundreds of reps to improve my score, but I'd get slight tendonitis in my elbows and wrists as well... now, I see more improvement by not doing as many pushups, but just making them more difficult to do :) Good luck with reaching your goals.

*not backed up by any scientific proof, but I do get more than 100+ pushups on a PT test.

ETA: Also, when training, I go chest to ground... when testing, I go one fist above.
Great advice I am currently starting Week 5 Day One Column 3 tomorrow and so far so good right now I average about 68-71 pushups in 2 mins which is 100on the PT test in the 17-21 Bracket but I want to get more just in case some pushups are not counted due to form etc...

My question is do you think purchasing the "perfect pushup" would give me a higher rep range when going from this to regular pushups? I have heard that since you have a "deeper" range of motion with the perfect push up even though you can't do as many reps will allow you to gain higher reps when you switch to regular pushups.

Also what about a weighted vest nothing to crazy but was thinking 10-15 pounds to train the muscles to work hard so when I go for testing without it, my body would react strong giving me a higher rep range.

These are things I have heard about but wanted to pass along to yourself or anyone for that matter that may have something add or take away with this training of thought.

I will post my progress on this 100 Push Program as I continue to follow it.
"The person who says practice makes perfect doesn't know what he is talking about...Perfect is an illusion created by people who always wants to be disappointed in themselves. Rather....Practice makes Better!"
Old 6 October 2011, 09:33

This is a great program (for the young elbows/wrists)- mine didn't hold up after week five. I started going every other week- the in between weeks, I'd do my Ranger Run twice a week: Run= 3 miles @ 8.5/9 minute pace (it's the recovery- so don't push the run time...nice and easy pace), during the run do 10 reps of good formed push ups every 75-100m. When I started this off, I ran three miles and did 160 push ups (16 stops)...within one month, I'm now running the three miles and doing 260 (26 stops)within that three miles. Like I said- my ~39 year old (19 Army years) elbows and wrists couldn't keep the program pace...adding this in between helped me. MeatLasagna- sooo true about what you already have to get you in shape. I was thinking about adding the 'Shake Weight'...but I think my neighbors would complain
Old 6 October 2011, 12:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
My question is do you think purchasing the "perfect pushup" would give me a higher rep range when going from this to regular pushups? I have heard that since you have a "deeper" range of motion with the perfect push up even though you can't do as many reps will allow you to gain higher reps when you switch to regular pushups.
I like doing ring pushups better. You can make your own from six inches of pvc and tubular nylon. Deeper range and more involvement from your stabilizing muscles.

Quote:
Also what about a weighted vest nothing to crazy but was thinking 10-15 pounds to train the muscles to work hard so when I go for testing without it, my body would react strong giving me a higher rep range.
Yes, I throw that in too. www.weightvest.com has some good ones. Just don't overtrain with one.
Old 6 October 2011, 12:13
Administrator

Heavy chain works as well. It also allows you to work in accommodating resistance as part of the routine, if desired.
Old 7 October 2011, 07:43
Certified Gypsy Soul

Thumbs up

ML and SB,

Thanks for the advice I heard about chain work when dealing with bench pressing and I never really applied the same method to push ups but sounds like a great tip, and the weighted vest seems like a good option as well.

My deal is when I reach about 55 Good Push Ups I tend to max out and have to break and pull out 2-3 till I get to 70 range/failure. I need to get past this sticking point so hence why I wanted to try this program out, but also wanted some other ways to enhance this.

I really like the idea of going chest to ground and on test day stopping at fist level seems like the same idea that the "perfect push up" training aid provides. So once I am done with this 100 Push Up Program I'm going to go back and start over and do it all over again but with chest to the ground method along with the other tips provided by you and SB.
"The person who says practice makes perfect doesn't know what he is talking about...Perfect is an illusion created by people who always wants to be disappointed in themselves. Rather....Practice makes Better!"
Old 9 October 2011, 00:49
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
For shits and grins, I started this program yesterday. I am doing the pushups, situps, and squats -- back-to-back.

After weighing the comments above in reference to what the actual "test" should look like, I decided to go with 2 min being the major parameter.

So yesterday's test looked like this:

60 pushups/63 situps/70 squats....
Just did Week 5's exhaustion test -- which for me is max in 2 min of each exercise. I'm doing today's test on the heels of the workout this afternoon.

78 pushups/66 situps/89 squats....
Old 9 October 2011, 16:28

This looks like fun! Starting off with week 3. From what I've read in the posts in this thread, the wait time in between sets is in the rest position?

Can't wait for the second day! I've always been stuck under 70...Then again, I've only done push ups on a casual basis, never really working to get past that 70 and up to that 100 mark.

EDIT: Oh, god. Wait. That burns!

Last edited by VictorMikeLima; 9 October 2011 at 16:45.
Old 9 October 2011, 16:37
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorMikeLima
From what I've read in the posts in this thread, the wait time in between sets is in the rest position?
I don't think so, well at least I'm not doing that. Wait time between SETS (not reps to complete a set) is resting -- really resting (for the 45-60 sec that the day calls for)....
Old 9 October 2011, 16:47
PutTheWetStuffOnRedStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorMikeLima View Post
This looks like fun! Starting off with week 3. From what I've read in the posts in this thread, the wait time in between sets is in the rest position?
Negative, in between sets you can come out of the leaning rest to sip your beer, smoke a cigarette, etc..
Old 9 October 2011, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I don't think so, well at least I'm not doing that. Wait time between SETS (not reps to complete a set) is resting -- really resting (for the 45-60 sec that the day calls for)....

Oh, okay! Well, that makes it a lot easier then! I was using my rest time in the push-up rest position...It got hard. Fast.

But thanks for clearing that up for me.

Thank you as well, Gumby!
Old 9 October 2011, 19:57
Certified Gypsy Soul

I was about to say if you completed any week and used your rest time in the "resting position" I would need to shake your hand and or see this on youtube or something cause I'm pretty sure you would be the next Rainman in pushups...

Or what I would always like to say " Not really I play real sports, not trying to be the best at exercising" Kenny Powers!
Old 10 October 2011, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I was about to say if you completed any week and used your rest time in the "resting position" I would need to shake your hand and or see this on youtube or something cause I'm pretty sure you would be the next Rainman in pushups...

Or what I would always like to say " Not really I play real sports, not trying to be the best at exercising" Kenny Powers!
I couldn't wait very long in the rest position. So instead of the 60 seconds, it was more like 15 seconds. I'll do the full resting, and once I get to the 100 mark, I'll try it with the rest position!

Just another question. Since it's three days a week, are you guys doing it every other day? Or continuously until you finish the three days for the week.

(I'm assuming its every other day.)
Old 11 October 2011, 11:14
Certified Gypsy Soul

Okay still on Week Five Day 1 and I will continue till I get it done correctly.

Basically its kicking my butt half way through. I can get the first 2 sets done correctly with 60 sec break inbetween as stated.

But when I go for my 3rd set I have to go in the "resting positon" to finish my set, then on the 4th set I have to completely break free 80% of the way take a quick breather, then go back and complete the set. Then the last set is even worse I took 2 min break and had to take a stop half way through, take a quick rest and then finsh the remaining set a few seconds later.

I am making progress but I'm not allowing myself to skip to the second day till I get this first day completed right.

Our new posting rules