Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 12 October 2011, 19:02
Confirmed User

Edit: Meant for this in Non-CF log thread..

Yesterday: 2.66 mile slow burn

Today, Wednesday, 10/12/11(Repeating Week 4)
Prescribed rest for each.

Pushups:
week 4 day 2, column 2, 90sec rest

Situps:
week 4 day 2, column 2, 60sec rest

Squats:
week 4 day 2, column 3, 60 sec rest

Pullups (20 program, twentypullups.com):
week 3 day 2, column 3, 90 sec rest

Last edited by smoked; 12 October 2011 at 19:25. Reason: idiocy
Old 20 October 2011, 09:28
Certified Gypsy Soul

Starting my second attack on Week 5 whewww want an ass kicker at least for me.
"The person who says practice makes perfect doesn't know what he is talking about...Perfect is an illusion created by people who always wants to be disappointed in themselves. Rather....Practice makes Better!"
Old 20 October 2011, 17:48
CombatWombat
Visitor

Well, it worked for me. I went from 68 PU to 102 PU on my most recent APFT. Groovy. Now if I can just get myself moving faster on that run portion...

There should be a way to transfer extra points from one event to another. Yeah, yeah, I know, quit being lame and run faster. Still, a guy can dream.
Old 25 October 2011, 10:00
A Texan in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Starting my second attack on Week 5 whewww want an ass kicker at least for me.
I am with you. In my second pass at week 5, column two. 14 yo son is doing week five, col one.
Old 25 October 2011, 10:45
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
For shits and grins, I started this program yesterday. I am doing the pushups, situps, and squats -- back-to-back.

After weighing the comments above in reference to what the actual "test" should look like, I decided to go with 2 min being the major parameter.

So yesterday's test looked like this:

60 pushups/63 situps/70 squats....
After starting at week 3 and moving forward, I finished last week. I ran a final test on Sunday which looked like this:

80 pushups/70 situps/90 squats

I'm kinda bummed about the situps, but I blame my poor performance on having a gut full of chicken and dumplings. And planetary misalignment. And a sandstorm over Africa.

I also ran a Two for Twenty (200 pushups and 200 squats in 20 min or less) test yesterday, and it looked OK, but nothing spectacular. 15 min, 50 sec.

Out of all of this my thoughts are that the program probably works, I don't have any doubts I could knock out the max number of exercise, but I could do that when I started. And although I think it did a good job increasing my ability to pump out the pushups and squats rapidly, I did notice that my right knee has been affected, and this even though I tried to push out perfect form and not hurt my knees.

So there you have it, I think it works, I think it can hurt you, but I don't think it caused any long-term horrible damage....
Old 26 October 2011, 16:23
Russian Tycoon

I fell behind the program - vacation slacker syndrome.

Back to Week 4.
Old 2 November 2011, 12:21
Chicks dig scars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
ML and SB,

Thanks for the advice I heard about chain work when dealing with bench pressing and I never really applied the same method to push ups but sounds like a great tip, and the weighted vest seems like a good option as well.

My deal is when I reach about 55 Good Push Ups I tend to max out and have to break and pull out 2-3 till I get to 70 range/failure. I need to get past this sticking point so hence why I wanted to try this program out, but also wanted some other ways to enhance this.

I really like the idea of going chest to ground and on test day stopping at fist level seems like the same idea that the "perfect push up" training aid provides. So once I am done with this 100 Push Up Program I'm going to go back and start over and do it all over again but with chest to the ground method along with the other tips provided by you and SB.
This^^^, I had the same burn out rep doing my own program (starting at1x25 PU a workout, 1-3 workouts a day and adding 5 PU's every week), and had to reset. I am doing DB/"perfect" pushups whenever possible and trying to work my reps back up and past 55. Have the members that have tried this program had sucess with it?
Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
You're an Army dude, aren't you?
Quote:
Must have been my use of big words that gave it away.
Old 6 November 2011, 00:05
Confirmed Abuser

I am going to give this a try.

I have always kept push-ups in my routine. A few months ago I had a wakeboard accident which really wrecked my arm/shoulder. After a month of pain was done with, I found that I could not even do ONE pushup because of that weak side. That was crazy. Kept doing what I could, and slowly recuperated back to a decent amount of pushups, but not where I was before still.

This program should give me some organization and goals.
Old 8 November 2011, 01:20
Chicks dig scars

Started this today, will post an update at completion.
Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
You're an Army dude, aren't you?
Quote:
Must have been my use of big words that gave it away.
Old 23 November 2011, 11:59

I completed the program a couple weeks ago and hit over 100 pushups in a 2 minute max set. It worked out pretty well for me, so I decided to continue past a week 6 and create a week 7 using more or less the same linear progression from 6 to 7 that weeks 5 to 6 used. If anyone is interested, here are the numbers.

Week 7
Day 1: 54-70-40-36-70+ =270, 60 seconds rest between sets.
Day 2: 25-25-38-38-30-30-25-25-73+ =309, 45 seconds rest between sets.
Day 3: 32-32-42-42-32-32-30-30-75+ =347, 45 seconds rest between sets.

I hit 135 pushups in 1:52 after doing week 7 a couple times through. I'll toss up week 8 when I crunch the numbers for anyone else interested in pushing their numbers up after the program finishes. Also, out of curiosity, does anyone else find themself focusing on speed when the reps start getting up there? I've needed to start supplementing workouts with sets of slow chest to deck pushups in order to remain balanced.
Old 30 November 2011, 21:26
Confirmed User

Starting pushups, pullups, squats, situps, and [I]maybe[I] dips tomorrow along with a 10k work up plan. Will post up results when finished. Looks great to get back in the habit before going back to MilAth
Old 1 December 2011, 22:39
FIDO

Doing the 100 push ups, 200 sit ups and using the 5k app. It works great. Also doing my ruck march on off days with a 45-50lb ruck. Running the Tough Mudder in March and need to be good to go. Using this workout until Feb. and en adding week by week making it harder.
Old 6 December 2011, 08:32
Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Looking forward to this

Just started this yesterday. I used to do a lot of pushups when I was younger and tried to get back into it using the perfect pushup contraption, but the motion hurt my joints after a while. I've been noticing some tits hanging off my chest. So I started off at week three after doing the initial test last week. See how long it takes to get to 100.
Old 29 January 2012, 16:10

I finally reached 100 push-ups today - I have followed a number of programs during the last 15 or so years, but always got stuck around 65 repetitions.

Today, at an age of 51, I believe that I have found the answer to reaching 100 or more: Breathing.

I have kept it very simple:

A couple of times a week I do 3-4 sets of 50 pushups - with abdominal exercises in between - and ample time to get my pulse down.

2-3 times a week, I do the following simple exercise: Max pushups - 45 seconds of rest - the remaining pushups until I reach 100.

The latest 4 sets consisted of:

60/40 pushups
72/28 pushups
80/20 pushups
70/30 pushups
- 4 days of rest due to busy family schedule -
100 pushups.

I guess the rest period did me good - I was expecting to under perform due to lack of training and eating lots of sweet cookies etc, but instead I reached a lifetime high.

So fancy programs may work, but the advice from a previous post (do 100/day and you will never get out of shape) was what I needed to follow.

Next target: 120.

About the breathing: I inhale/exhale slowly, doing about 3 reps per deep breath cycle rather than trying to force one breath per pushup - or forgetting to breath entirely. It can be a bit hard to keep the count when you focus on controlled breathing, but the improvement shows it is worth the effort.

Regards
Michael

Last edited by pingo2007; 29 January 2012 at 16:12.
Old 29 January 2012, 16:33
הייתי ועשיתי, וזה לא נגמר

Nice job pingo.....congrats!
...and thanks for the tips

"We do not fight to be free; we fight because we are free"
Avraham "Ya'ir" Stern

!אחרי
Old 13 February 2012, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
I had a DI in boot camp back in 99' who said you should do at least a 100 push ups a day as well as a 100 crunches cumulative. He said no matter what...if you did these everyday...you'd never be out of shape. I listened and to this day I do a 100 and a 100. I run, bike and swim whenever I can but my core workout is 5 sets of 20 (with the perfect pushup gizmo which I think was invented by a SEAL), 5 sets of 10 curls with 50lb dumbbells, 5 sets of standing overhead raises with 50lb dumbbells, and 100 crunches on the decline.
Agreed, it emphasizes muscle endurance. "Prison" work outs are great and there is no reason not to do them. I print a chart, when I am at home everyday cumulative total of at least 100 push-ups and sit-ups. Daily vitamins and trips to the gym are a great way to maintain readiness. With most Americans becoming more and more sedentary pushups and sit-ups become an excellent, no excuses needed to condition ones self.
Old 13 February 2012, 17:11

Excellent dedication pingo2007, great work. I amsure the feeling of accomplishment is reward enough.
Old 16 February 2012, 21:30
Been There Done That

Just downloaded the i pad app. Going to try this program.
Old 16 February 2012, 21:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Just downloaded the i pad app. Going to try this program.
I got this app and the 200 situp app yesterday...seem interesting enough. And seeing as I can't bang out 100 good push ups or 200 situps at once, why not give this a whirl...

Abraham Lincoln
Old 21 February 2012, 02:59
Been There Done That

Ok, the App is not that good and not liking the program. So will modify and do it my way. Mon, Wed and Fri do 5 sets of pushups. Increase as needed. Rest between sets at 45 seconds seems better for me. Doing five sets of 20 now. Goal in a month to six weeks is to be five sets of 40. Instead of taking the rest between sets, will do crunches, flutter kicks, etc.. I think. Today following the pushups did 20 minutes up and down the three flights of stairs at the house i am staying at. Hit the pool for 30 minutes everyday, and also walk for 20 minutes, light jog 20 minutes, followed by 20 minute walk daily. And then daily do my martial arts forms. If can keep this up for the next two months, and eat right - big key there- will be where i want to be. Had been riding a bike a lot the last month, but ass is getting sore and too many close calls with taxi drivers and trucks.

Our new posting rules