Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > Recon Marines

Old 9 December 2011, 11:39

Homeless Recon Marine (Chicago)

I figure this would be the best place to put this; I work in downtown Chicago and everyday there is this gentleman who has up a sign that says 'homeless Marine' he wears a Enduring Freedom hat that has wings and scuba bubble on it so I am going to assume he is claiming to be a Recon Marine. He also wears his Marine boots and is maybe a few years older then me, late 20s? Is there a support group or any place I can point this guy to, assuming he is legit? I would hate to see someone with a lot of special skill sets just be stuck and homeless. As a former Marine I feel like this guy should be helped out.
Old 9 December 2011, 11:48
Same as it ever was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothawhat View Post
I figure this would be the best place to put this; I work in downtown Chicago and everyday there is this gentleman who has up a sign that says 'homeless Marine' he wears a Enduring Freedom hat that has wings and scuba bubble on it so I am going to assume he is claiming to be a Recon Marine. He also wears his Marine boots and is maybe a few years older then me, late 20s? Is there a support group or any place I can point this guy to, assuming he is legit? I would hate to see someone with a lot of special skill sets just be stuck and homeless. As a former Marine I feel like this guy should be helped out.
Get to know him and get him to the VA. I have tried this with guys one the street and have never been successful, regardless of their actual military service; maybe they I know I never served. To re-iterate, VA.

Good luck and good on you for trying to lend a hand.

Take Care,

asg
Old 9 December 2011, 11:51
Teaching my cat to read..

Contact the local VA Medical Center, they should have a homeless veterans team that may be able to help him out through various programs.
Here's what was discussed recently, don't know if it will help.
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=100954

But before you do any of that, I would simply ask him if he's a vet. I saw a young guy with a ruck and desert boonie awhile back on the street corner, and stopped to ask if he was a vet. He looked ashamed and said no. At least he was honest. If I were homeless I would probably play any card that could help me, too.
Old 9 December 2011, 11:54
Pre-Chill

I would doubt he was even a Marine much less recon but stranger things have happened. Ask him, you should be able to tell if he was a Marine.
Old 9 December 2011, 11:55

Thank you, I should have searched before I posted. I will try and get to know him better and try to see if I can point him in the correct direction. I just figured since there was a lot of former 0321's here they maybe knew of another place other then the VA. I know the VA seems to scare a lot of people for some reason.
Old 9 December 2011, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather View Post
I would doubt he was even a Marine much less recon but stranger things have happened. Ask him, you should be able to tell if he was a Marine.
He wears a black bracelet for fallen Marines, wears Danner EGA issed boots, and I usually can just tell who a former Marine is by presents. I will try and get his name and maybe he can get vetted by a member here. I will also try and call the local VA to see what they can do.
Old 9 December 2011, 12:26
Teaching my cat to read..

Quote:
I usually can just tell who a former Marine is by presents.
That's cheating! They're wearing the uniform when they do Toys for Tots stuff
Old 9 December 2011, 15:31
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I agree with the other comments, if you really think he was truly a jarhead and deserving (not one in the same, and one does not mean the other is true), then talk to him some more. I can very much see where "homeless Marine" could be a ruse -- and if it isn't, then on the street is the wrong place. He needs to get with the VA, and then see where it goes from there....
Old 12 December 2011, 09:06
Nonrate

VA Stand Down

I know thisone has already passed but jfyi:

http://www.hines.va.gov/HINES/features/hvstd.asp

“Hundreds of Chicago-area Veterans received food, clothing, health screenings, VA and Social Security benefits counseling, and referrals to a variety of necessary services, such as housing, employment and substance abuse treatment at a special Homeless Stand Down event on November 9th. The Hines Health Care for Homeless Veterans Program, in cooperation with the Oak Park Vet Center, Jesse Brown VA and a variety of community partners hosted the Chicago Area Winter Stand Down for homeless Veterans at the General Jones Armory in Chicago.

"Stand Down" is military terminology referring to the brief period of time a soldier leaves an active combat area in order to rest and regain strength. The Chicago Area Stand Down brought a wide range of specialized resources together to provide homeless Veterans with comprehensive medical and psychosocial services.”

For information about the Hines Healthcare for Homeless Veterans Program, call 708-202-4961.

Keep an eye on this page:

http://www.va.gov/HOMELESS/StandDown.asp

Don’t know how often they update it though.

But hey, you're a Marine. Bang all the fat ugly broads you want.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- BigNickT
Old 12 December 2011, 09:23
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Do whatever your heart dictates!
Some of those guys are professional panhandlers and they know how to work on sentiment and guile. I used to see a guy around North Avenue and I gave him a few bucks and I even got some teabags and a cup! A few weeks later, I actually stopped to talk to the guy and he said to me :Hey m...f..er, I don't need that sh*t, gimme some real money. I smiled and wished him well!
Old 12 December 2011, 11:10
pumpin gas and kickin ass

Just for some insight, I was a homeless Recon Marine this past summer when some work fell into contract dispute. Make sure he is what you are perceiving him to be. I for sure would never find myself disgracing my community by standing on a corner claiming it, and I find it hard to believe any one else would either that was not fucked up on drugs.

They would do what I did which was hustle side work to make ends work, remain professional and suck it the fuck up, and plan your way out of it.

I may have a bone to pick with younger vets panhandling, but this ain't fucking Vietnam. The community has bent over backwards to help you if you want them to. There are ways to ask for help, should the individual decides he wants it, and its not on the fucking corner sporting wings and bubble.
Old 12 December 2011, 11:12
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforjonny
There are ways to ask for help, should the individual decides he wants it, and its not on the fucking corner sporting wings and bubble.
+1....
Old 7 February 2012, 12:07

Its sad but as a cop I have seen countless homeless people pushing carts around town, most were Vietnam vets and a few even had SF or MACVSOG tats, its a real shame, take care of our own.

Our new posting rules