Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 27 December 2011, 21:34
Authorized Personnel

A great article on that faggy nonsense that comes in a can that people put on their faces to shave.

Even if you don't go straight or safety razor and insist on the plastic disposable kinds follow the advice in this article. Your skin will thank you:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker65.html
"“Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.” ."
Old 27 December 2011, 21:38
Migratory Coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
A great article on that faggy nonsense that comes in a can that people put on their faces to shave.

Even if you don't go straight or safety razor and insist on the plastic disposable kinds follow the advice in this article. Your skin will thank you:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker65.html
Interesting idea. I may try this while I look around for the right safety razor at the right price.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle

"If at first an idea does not sound absurd, then there is no hope for it." - Einstein
Old 27 December 2011, 21:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk317 View Post
Interesting idea. I may try this while I look around for the right safety razor at the right price.
I don't like shave oils but I have also used the mug/brush and soap with normal razors - the soap I use is all natural shea butter soap with no chemicals, etc, and it works great with a "normal" razor, too.

Plus you don't smell like a chemical factory or have to put all that shit on your face.
"“Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.” ."
Old 27 December 2011, 22:34
Beerologist

So, my wife actually saw me reading up on this and bought me a Merkur for Christmas. She seems to think the whole thing is pretty cool too. Going to have to see if I can not dice myself up too bad..
Old 28 December 2011, 00:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic4070 View Post
So, my wife actually saw me reading up on this and bought me a Merkur for Christmas. She seems to think the whole thing is pretty cool too. Going to have to see if I can not dice myself up too bad..
Follow the advice on the various website, books and here. Try once, or twice with our a blade just to get the angle and pressure down. Remember the weight of the razor head does the work.

Hold the safety razor lightly and flexible in your fingers and make sure you skin is fairly tight and that you have a good wet lather up. Sometimes you can get the lather on too dry. If you do, just re-lather if need be.

Also, it's about beard reduction and not a one swipe and you're good to go deal. Unlike "Regular razors" you don't need to worry if you see stubble left after the first, or second pass, because the next one will get them. I usually do three passes and sometimes a fourth depending upon my mood.

When I'm done with the shave, I rinse with cool-cold water and rub my face down with an alum block and then let it air dry. While drying, you'll have time to clean up your shaving gear sand the mess you made. Then you're all set.

Once you get it down, you won't be sorry. Good luck.

As for your wife liking it. Most women who see the set-up sitting on the bathroom sink think it's pretty cool, which is an added bonus.

"It's either victory, or death; and we plan on being victorious!" ~SB
Old 28 December 2011, 06:53
Beerologist

Used it this morning. Did one pass with the grain and one against, using shaving soap and a brush. I did "cheat" and use my Mach 3 on my neck because I was running out of time and that didn't seem like a good place to hurry. Plus, I razor burned it a few days ago so its still buggered up.

Even for my first hack at it, I got as good of a shave as I did with the M3. Face feels a little dry from the soap though.
Old 28 December 2011, 11:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic4070 View Post
Used it this morning. Did one pass with the grain and one against, using shaving soap and a brush. I did "cheat" and use my Mach 3 on my neck because I was running out of time and that didn't seem like a good place to hurry. Plus, I razor burned it a few days ago so its still buggered up.

Even for my first hack at it, I got as good of a shave as I did with the M3. Face feels a little dry from the soap though.
1: Never go against the grain. Ever. No. Stop doing that. Cease and desist. No. Halt. Halto.

2: Get better soap. Also make sure your face is wet before you apply the soap via the brush.
Old 28 December 2011, 17:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
1: Never go against the grain. Ever. No. Stop doing that. Cease and desist. No. Halt. Halto.

2: Get better soap. Also make sure your face is wet before you apply the soap via the brush.
Really? Almost everything I've read (though I'm admittedly new at this) says once you've mastered the angle and pressure to do 3 passes. With the grain, across the grain, and against the grain.

This is what I do and haven't had any issues with it.

However, you have to be aware that the direction of growth can change and be sporadic. Pulling down can be with the grain one second and against the grain the next.
Old 28 December 2011, 17:22
On the Extract Bird

Great thread. Dragged my old kit out of the closet a few weeks ago and have enjoyed it again after quite some time. Great shave. Did break my mug so a large coffee cup is now on the bathroom counter.

A little math, damn it's saves money..
Old 28 December 2011, 17:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsC0321 View Post
Really? Almost everything I've read (though I'm admittedly new at this) says once you've mastered the angle and pressure to do 3 passes. With the grain, across the grain, and against the grain.

This is what I do and haven't had any issues with it.

However, you have to be aware that the direction of growth can change and be sporadic. Pulling down can be with the grain one second and against the grain the next.
I've never heard or read that method. Sometimes you have to go "against" the grain (like under the nose to get the whiskers you can't reach because of the size of the safety razor).

If the direction of growth reverses (as mine does at the bottom of my neck) I stop and reverse stroke.

Quote:
Why shave with the grain? Because there is less of a chance of nicks and cuts, and because it reduces the chance of ingrown hairs and razor bumps. When you shave against the grain, the razor's blade catches aginst the hair and pulls it slightly further away from the surface of the skin. This results in an increased likelihood of shaving the hair at a level slightly below your skin's surface (one reason why ingrown hairs develop). Also, when you shave you are not simply taking off hair, you are taking off a fine layer of skin (also called "exfoliating"). Shaving with the grain tends to be a little easier on your skin as well; the razor tends to travel a smoother path with the grain of hair growth.

If you've been shaving against the grain up until this point, then it might take some time to get a close shave by going with the grain. Keep trying; your face may take a week or two to adjust to a new method of shaving.

You might have some particularly stubborn stubble that needs to be shaved against the grain (or sideways across the grain, which is a little less harmful than directly against the grain) in order to attain a close shave. If that is the case, shave as much as you can with the grain, then re-lather and shave those trouble areas across or against the grain. Some guys use this method for a really, really close shave. If you try this approach, remember to re-lather and repeat only after getting through your first shave with the grain.

If you are prone to ingrown hairs/razor bumps, avoid this practice at all costs as it will most likely make the problem worse.
I did find that ^ mention of it in some extreme cases.
Old 28 December 2011, 18:40
Confirmed User

KidA

After reading your post I think it's important to add that after each pass you MUST relather.

I'm curious though. I feel like that quote applies perfectly to shaving with cartridges but not so much with a DE. I'm under the impression that DE shaving eliminates the "tug and cut" of cartridges and therefore cuts down on razor burn as well as ingrowns. With that though, if your prone to either, your preparation becomes the most important part. As well as proper pressure(very little) and angle. A too extreme angle will cause you to drag the blade across your face without cutting the hair and thus irritating it.
Old 29 December 2011, 00:34
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
KidA

After reading your post I think it's important to add that after each pass you MUST relather.

I'm curious though. I feel like that quote applies perfectly to shaving with cartridges but not so much with a DE. I'm under the impression that DE shaving eliminates the "tug and cut" of cartridges and therefore cuts down on razor burn as well as ingrowns. With that though, if your prone to either, your preparation becomes the most important part. As well as proper pressure(very little) and angle. A too extreme angle will cause you to drag the blade across your face without cutting the hair and thus irritating it.
KidA is right on the money!!! I never thought of questioning my Grandfather and once I became a Medic I found he knew more than I thought.

You NEVER ever shave against the grain. I have a swirling growing grain which means I change direction 3 times but never against the
grain.

Let me say again ... DO NOT SHAVE AGAINST THE GRAIN of your beard!!!

Cheers,

"The 7 P's are not nice to haves...they are the cornerstone of every operational endevour!" Copyright: Me (AJ) in the ME 12 July 2009
Old 29 December 2011, 09:40
Confirmed User

The great thing about the internet is that we have more resources available to us then what we learned growing up.

There are tons of forums on wetshaving, I took this from http://theshaveden.com/forums/thread...r-problems.36/

Quote:
Your beard's grain (direction of growth): It's vital that you know this, since the sequence of passes is first with the grain, then across the grain, and then (if stubble is sufficiently reduced) against the grain. (If too much stubble remains for a comfortable against-the-grain pass, first shave across the grain the other way.) Generally, the beard on your face will grow downward---but not always. I have a couple of patches where it grows more or less sideways. The grain on the neck can be anything. To find the grain, wait 8-12 hours after you've shaved, then rub your face and neck. The direction that's roughest is against the grain. You'll find the "roughest" direction is different on different pars of your face and neck.
Point being, if you're really interested in picking up this awesome method of shaving there are tons of methods and resources available to you. I hated shaving, and now look forward to it everyday.

Last edited by CsC0321; 29 December 2011 at 09:42. Reason: Fixed
Old 29 December 2011, 10:16
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Point being, if you're really interested in picking up this awesome method of shaving there are tons of methods and resources available to you. I hated shaving, and now look forward to it everyday.
This is true - if I go against the grain I end up with little pimples where the hairs get covered by skin during the day and then get irritated.

I've never shaved against the grain and never had to do more than one pass (unless I was using a razor on its last legs) and I've got pretty hardcore stubble growth daily.

Depends on the person, the sensitivity of their skin, etc, etc, etc.
Old 29 December 2011, 10:54
Confirmed User

Quote:

I've never shaved against the grain and never had to do more than one pass (unless I was using a razor on its last legs)
I'm extremely jealous. I have to do all 3 passes in order to be satisfied. What's the soap you use? I'm currently using proraso's soap.
Old 29 December 2011, 13:44
Been There Done That

I can shave against the grain, and it's not irritating. so... YMMV.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 29 December 2011, 15:16
On the Extract Bird

Curious,
Did Basic in 79 but I cannot remember if we used safety or disposables. Anyone have a rough idea when the world switched?
B2
Old 30 December 2011, 00:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Unit View Post
Curious,
Did Basic in 79 but I cannot remember if we used safety or disposables. Anyone have a rough idea when the world switched?
B2
I went to boot camp in 79 and we used the twin-blade disposable types. I think they were Trac-2 or something like that. A couple of guys had shown up with safety razors and they took them away from them. As to when the switch occurred, I have no idea.
Old 30 December 2011, 00:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
I can shave against the grain, and it's not irritating. so... YMMV.
Same here. If I shave at night, I'll do one or two passes with the grain, then go against the grain so the shave will last through the next day. However, if I do this, my blades only last for one shave. I don't get any irritation, but I rinse my face well after shaving and then use a nice after shave balm.
Old 2 January 2012, 16:54
Confirmed User

semi-necro

had a hankering to get in on this today, used to have a barber do me up with the straight blade once in a while, but those days are gone.

Snapped out to the nearest "old school" pharmacy, picked up a bowl, some soaps, badger brush (all caswell-massey), styptic pen, cheapy safety razor, badger brush, ran me about $60.

I expected blood and a learning curve. Zero cuts, zero blood, zero irritation, strangely a hell of a lot quicker and easier than the usual Mach3 + awesomespacegel

I'd already showered, but opted to blast my neck for a good 3 or 4 minutes on the hottest i could manage. Didn't dry off really, lathered up, one swipe with the grain, one swipe against, and all smooth as a baby's bottom.

The only painful part of this was finding an actual brick and mortar store at which to procure such goods. I live maybe a mile from my town's Galleria, couldn't find a single store in the thing that had what I needed (though, naturally, i didn't try every single one in there). Don't trust online shops with my credit card data, as that's one more place Anon and their ilk will ultimately snag my details. Come time to get new DE blades, I'll have to shop around (the dodgy looking Pakistani safety razor I grabbed - the only one they had - came with a 5 pack of Diane blades).

Either way, this foray was certainly one I recommend, and not as convoluted as some of the bits on the web might indicate. Very worth incorporating into my morning routine, and really not too much of an extra time drain.

Just another one of those things where it seems advancement isn't always progress. Quality VS convenience, I think for this one I'll opt for quality.

Our new posting rules