Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 28 October 2011, 15:56

Alutiiq LLC?

I searched through the threads, and found a few things from 2-4 years ago. Nothing really talks about this company though. Does anybody have any first hand experience with this company, or is anyone currently working for them? I came across someone who was telling me about a gig they have in the Marshall Islands, as a police mentor/trainer. Any information would be useful. Thanks.
Old 29 October 2011, 00:32
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div5811 View Post
I came across someone who was telling me about a gig they have in the Marshall Islands, as a police mentor/trainer. Any information would be useful. Thanks.
It is not a Police Mentor/Trainer position. Alutiiq is the prime contractor for the LE/Security Contract on Kwajalein Atoll.

If hired, you would be a Contract Police Officer at the Ronald Reagan Test Center at Kwajaelin Atoll. One must have 3 years as a LEO (either Military or Civilian) to be considered. Pay is around 40K a year. Bonus's are paid for those that make it the full year....then every year after that. Not sure what they are now. No US taxes taken out but the Marshallese do take taxes out......

The island has approximately 2000 or so individuals that work for the US Army Space and Missile Command doing projects out there. The island is ran by a US Army COL and has approximately 25 military folks. The rest of the people out there are contractors and their families.

As a Police Officer out there, it is an unaccompanied position unless you are hired as a LT or above. You get a meal card, live free in a BEQ, andget needed equipment issued. No POVs are allowed on the island.

Internet is still dial-up and tv stations are limited. That will be changing in the near future with the arrival of fiberoptic. They will be charging to use the TV/Internet service once in operation. Right now the dial-up is free and slow as fuck......

AAFES has several facilities out there and there is a Commissary that is privately ran (for now).

Tons of ocean stuff to do out there....fishing, snorkling, scuba, etc..... They also run adult leauges of softball, basketball, soccer, etc....

I was there for a year a few years back and I've got 3-4 Bros out there currently.....One has been there for a month and is heading back to Mainland due to things being so jacked up. Stressing jacked up.

The US Army is in the process of converting the LE Contractors into Dept of the Army Police Officers (DACP) at GS-7. The current contractors must re-applied for their job and are not being automatically converted which is making folks edgy. There is real no time-frame for the complete converstion but the currrent contract expires in April 2012 and no word if the Army is going to extend it. Though, at last chatting with one of my buddies out there (2-3 days ago) they have only hired a couple of DACP Officers and no word on when they will be hiring more. US Army just posted a new annoucement for that position several months ago.

If you need anymore info, let me know.

Bearcat

Last edited by Bearcat06; 29 October 2011 at 00:36.
Old 29 October 2011, 15:14

Thanks for the info, BearCat. I guess I got the wrong word. Only 40k for a deployed position? Doesn't sound very tempting!
Old 29 October 2011, 19:43
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div5811 View Post
Thanks for the info, BearCat. I guess I got the wrong word. Only 40k for a deployed position? Doesn't sound very tempting!
Considering you do absolutely nothing there and don't get shot at.....its not a bad gig. I think I made around 50K or so back in 1998-1999 when I was there. Didn't do much. Plus, they pay for food/housing and you don't have a POV there.....kills a lot of bills most tend to have. You get a 2500 bonus now at end of 1st year then it goes up every year after that.....

If you fuck up there, Army COL boots you from Island and they pull your clearance. That keeps most folks at bay there.

A few domestics, some thefts, bs traffic accidents, and dealing with the kids that are bored out of their skulls for the road folks..... If you work at the Docks or the Airport you do US Customs/TSA Mission..... and if you work up on Rio you do patrol but nothing ever happens up there....so you just putt around the island and hang out......

Biggest issue now is that the Army claims they are going to eventually hire Dept of Army Police to work the entire place and get rid of contractor.....so lots of folks are on edge and are being dumbshits according to my buddy. This is his 3rd time out there and said it was a mess due to that. Around 1 DEC he will be back in Hono at my place after he tells them to finally fuck off......
Old 29 October 2011, 19:49
On the Extract Bird

And before anyone PMs me again for contact info....its on Alutiiq's web site.... Google should be your friend.....

Further, Army Reg 190-56 states you must have 3 years of Civilian or Military LE Experience....no exceptions....and they don't care if you've been to the ME and did all kinds of cool shit there.... That's not the mission there. It's strictly a Law Enforcement/Security Mission....Nothing more, nothing less......
Old 29 October 2011, 22:00

Thanks BearCat. I meet the criteria for the position, but even without paying for gas, housing, etc. 40k is pretty low. To me, that'd kind of be like a last ditch effort, but the rest of it sounds nice. Almost like a paid vacation, in your off time you'd actually be able to enjoy yourself and do some stuff. Sure beats trying to sleep in a tent during a sandstorm! An option to consider. Thanks for the help, I was hoping somebody would know about this gig.
Old 30 October 2011, 00:00

I did this gig and survived...You get a nice little plaque when you complete the contract. I was at bit bored (understatement), but the place is awash with WW2 artifacts due to severe island erosion. A couple of fellas found WW2 GI dog tags amid the coconuts, clam shells, and plastic bottles. The place is infested with rats, black hairy ones. Everyone knows your business. They will remind you of how many notches you have on your lipstick case (P. Benatar). Lots of alternative lifestyle folks looking for a partner. Rife with inner-departmental drama...I'd say more but I'm choking on sour grapes...
Old 30 October 2011, 00:02
Confirmed Asshole

You may want to reach out on the EOD page. I believe Alutiq runs the GATOR site at Redstone, so maybe someone over there can give some insight on them as a company.
Old 30 October 2011, 09:09
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudenblue View Post
Rife with inner-departmental drama....
Thats whats going on now out there so I would caution anyone looking to go out there to think twice about it.

My buddy has been there going on his third trip and he's flat out said it's a cluster fuck now.......and as stated...He should be back here in Hono around the 1st of Dec. He's just not putting up with it anymore and has already told them as much......

I didn't mind it...as it was a nice break from working "real" Law Enforcement. You really didn't do much at all and got paid for it. After work, I'd grab a cooler of beer and go fishing....put some headphones on and be out in my own world.......

Anyway, anyone got any more questions.....just ask....
Old 2 November 2011, 19:47

I am currently on the contract. Please feel free to PM any questions.
Old 29 November 2011, 13:13
On the Extract Bird

Bump....

A. If anyone is interested in this position, I'd think twice.... Apparently, the Contract Police Officers will be switching over to be "Security Officers" and the Army is/will be hiring Dept of the Army Police Officers to do the LE work. Not really sure what all the Security Officers will be doing.

B. The contract is up in April and no one knows what the status will be after that.......CAC Cards are being issued until April only.

C. Still tons of internal issues because no one knows what the hell is going on....which is got a lot of people on edge....thus people are fleeing the contract. My buddy just got to Hono last night and said more would be following him out very soon.

Any more questions, ask away......
Old 17 January 2012, 09:59

Is anyone else currently on site besides JB? I PMd him about a month ago, but have yet to get a response. It's no problem as I am sure he is busy.

Also, thanks to Bearcat for all of his help.
Old 18 January 2012, 01:12
On the Extract Bird

I don't think anyone else that works there is on here.....

JB is the Marine Dept LT out there.....and a good guy. He'd be able to give you better info than I can....as mine is all from Dec 2011 and, as told in PM, some of its changed......
Old 29 April 2012, 20:55

I see on the Alutiiq website that Kwaj is seeking armed security officers now. Have they relegated those who were emplyed as police to security personnel now? Interesting...
Old 29 April 2012, 22:04
Puppy Pusher

Ug. I was considering applying for that position but its a deal breaker if they changed it from Police Officer to Armed Guard. I was trying to do a little research but 99% of info I seem to find keeps sending me to this place:
http://www.kwajkpd.com/index.html

This definitely is not the official website! While I can only imagine how amazing it felt to let loose on unethical supervisors I can only imagine how hard it will be for that guy to ever find another law enforcement job again.

I emailed the recruiter from this link : http://www.alutiiq.com/files/applications/kpd-info.pdf
Hopefully he will get back to me with whats going on with Officer vs Guard...
Old 29 April 2012, 22:26
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Contractor View Post
I was trying to do a little research but 99% of info I seem to find keeps sending me to this place:
http://www.kwajkpd.com/index.html
LOL that website is pretty serious!
Old 30 April 2012, 02:16
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Contractor View Post
Errr....that "Officer" got fired for cause....and is a complete piece of shit..... and I would take all that with a HUGE grain of salt.....to the point that 99.9% of what he posted is pure garbage.....

Some of us on here have been to Kwaj and it was a good time and for the money I made ....and for what little I did...it was a fun experience.

As for going to Guards.... Yes, they are. The Guards will be supplimenting DOA Police Officers that have been hired and that they will be hiring in the future.

As stated, JB 1 works there and he'd be the best person to talk to since he is on the ground and sometimes the recruiters don't exactly know what is going on out there since they recruit for all sorts of other positions within the company....
Old 30 April 2012, 10:11

The recruiter for this gig is an extremely helpful guy. I was in the process of applying before a major event at work caused me to stay at my current job a bit longer.

I PMd JB1 but have yet to hear back from him. Will the job really be that different as an Armed Security Officer vs a Police Officer in this situation?
Old 30 April 2012, 11:46
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
Will the job really be that different as an Armed Security Officer vs a Police Officer in this situation?
From what I was told by the guys who are leaving/have left...

The Security Guards will be rattling doors and doing security related stuff while the DACP Officers will be the ones actually doing LEO work....ie responding to calls and arresting what few folks they arrest.....plus being in charge of the Guards.

For some, its an ego thing on whether they want to be classified as a Security Guard or a LEO and a lot of folks seem to be packing up and leaving.

Either way, you are still going to be working on a small remote island getting 3 hots and a cot paid for.... not doing a whole lot of work during your duty day as not much goes on out there.

There isn't a lot of LEO work out there as they damn sure aren't doing any door kicking or taking guns off folks out there. When I was there, we mostly did domestics (a lot of same sex ones that are a hoot to work), small time thefts, tresspassings, and kids being kids and doing stupid things.....

I can only suspect that they will be paying less for Security Guards over the Contract LEOs they had.....but that is purely a guess based on prior contracting.
Old 30 April 2012, 12:19
Confirmed User

Kwaj Patrol Officers were starting at about $14/hr. I can guess the Armed Security Guards will make less.

Our new posting rules