Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > Recon Marines

Old 12 August 2011, 03:40

BRC prep

Hey guys, I'm trying to make the transition for being an "11" to move into the Recon community. Being an NCO I'm tracking on that it goes without saying you need to go into the course in the best shape possible. With all that being said anybody recently go through the school house and got some.advice on things to work on or things they wish they would have focused on more before training day 1. Thanks guys
Old 12 August 2011, 07:02
Administrator

Please post an introduction as directed in your welcome email.
Old 12 August 2011, 09:10

I posted one like a year ago when I first joined the site but I can post another if you'd like...
Old 12 August 2011, 11:00
Administrator

I know when a person has an introduction posted and when they don't. I don't post directions just to post.

The only intro you have is the one you posted after I told you to post one this morning.

Thank you.
Old 12 August 2011, 13:55

Very well, I guess I stand corrected.
Old 14 August 2011, 23:45
Renob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmithrpd View Post
With all that being said anybody recently go through the school house and got some.advice on things to work on or things they wish they would have focused on more before training day 1. Thanks guys
All the quitters during the first week probably wished that they had better swimming ability.

Everyone who survives Amphib phase probably wished that they had more experience with finning so that they wouldn't have to stress so much about making the cut off times.

Know how to take care of your feet, or you'll finish land nav with them wrapped up in rigger's tape.

As an NCO, you had better be a leader to the junior Marines coming from RIP/MART. They start the course in better shape than the By-Name-Assignment guys and the Lat-Movers.

If you are coming from the Infantry, you had better know even the most basic Infantry SOPs, TTPs, and Patrol Orders.

Do not quit. Do not suck. Do not pollute my community. Do not be a waste our time.

There are also other threads in the Recon forum that deal with your concerns.
Old 15 August 2011, 08:02

Thanks panda power for the advice. I've been a squad leader in the infantry for a few years now and would say I bring a good understanding of basic infantry knowledge to the table. I realize it is a big step to join the Recon community, and will train accordingly. I don't plan to waste anyone's time and quiting isn't something I'd allow myself to do in any course. Again thanks for the info.
Old 25 August 2011, 10:12
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmithrpd View Post
Thanks panda power for the advice. I've been a squad leader in the infantry for a few years now and would say I bring a good understanding of basic infantry knowledge to the table. I realize it is a big step to join the Recon community, and will train accordingly. I don't plan to waste anyone's time and quiting isn't something I'd allow myself to do in any course. Again thanks for the info.

Get ready for some lower enlisted vs NCO fuck-fuck games. Just CYOA there.
Old 25 August 2011, 10:20
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nex View Post
Really?

Are you stating this a schoolhouse problem or one at the units?

Perhaps I led a sheltered life, and maybe my time is too distant, although I think neither is the case. I never saw junior Marines or Sailors stepping outside of their rank structure at the schoolhouse, and whatever "games" occurred with regards to junior Marines or Sailors fucking with non-selected NCOs was within the parameters of the selection "situation."

Please elaborate as to what you mean....
Old 26 August 2011, 08:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
I don't see any Reconnaissance experience in your profile. If that's the case, what qualifies you to comment in this thread?
Old 26 August 2011, 08:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog79
If that's the case, what qualifies you to comment in this thread?
Yes, and then there is that, as well....
Old 26 August 2011, 11:58
Administrator

nex,
You have about 2 heartbeats to explain yourself or you'll disappear. I know you've been back since SOTB first challenged you.
Old 26 August 2011, 18:21
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
nex,
You have about 2 heartbeats to explain yourself or you'll disappear. I know you've been back since SOTB first challenged you.
So, anyone's opinion/experience that differs from anyone else's is automatically incorrect. I chose not to answer because it doesn't matter how much I explain myself, it'll be more ammunition for individuals looking to gun others down. Perception and comprehension coincide. Tipping my hat and moving on just isn't enough. Even this response will probably get mangled in it's definition. You're not looking to correct an incorrect statement, but reasoning to ban/punish individuals.

Knowing that this will probably be my last response; take care.
Old 26 August 2011, 18:55

Quote:
So, anyone's opinion/experience that differs from anyone else's is automatically incorrect. I chose not to answer because it doesn't matter how much I explain myself, it'll be more ammunition for individuals looking to gun others down. Perception and comprehension coincide. Tipping my hat and moving on just isn't enough. Even this response will probably get mangled in it's definition. You're not looking to correct an incorrect statement, but reasoning to ban/punish individuals.

This was an entirely unexpected answer -- not....
Old 26 August 2011, 19:12
Administrator

Quote:

Victimology 101. Act like you really have a response, but will be punished for telling the truth. You lied. You don't know what you're talking about. If posting crap like this helps you rationalize it internally, then more power to you.

The interesting part is that you not only never served with a Recon unit, you have only served in Navy commands.

You are correct. That was you're last post. Everyone else can see it's because you were talking out your ass and were called on it.

Banned.
Old 26 August 2011, 19:38
Killed In Action 10 AUG 2012

This "NEX" clown is a great example for those studs who want to go Recon of why you should go on a low-information diet prior to attending BRC. His BS is so laughably common, but instructive of why you should ignore pretty much everyone's advice except those who have already earned the MOS you are persueing.

I remember being told by a pussy of a Sergeant while attending the School of Infantry how I was going to be drowned and then resuscitated because that is a part of the course. It didn't deter me in the least, but proved to be the norm for the quality of advice that I (and others) received from the "well intentioned".
Old 26 August 2011, 22:46

Thumbs up

I went through the program back in the end of '08 (class 1-09)when it had just been moved to SOI. They had completely revamped the program and I was in a class of 70 starting out and there were only 10 of us NCO's. I was rather shocked at how many pfcs and lcpls there were in the class. A majority of the kids came straight from MART (Marines Awaiting Recon Training) and were in amazing shape which made the class as competitive as I'd hoped. It is a class by class basis, however. The class after me had a hard time getting the 70 required and started just pulling guys over from an SOI class a week from their graduation. So as an NCO, you are expected to lead. My lead instructor was very "lenient" (for lack of a better term) and let the student NCO's handle a lot of business.
Be a very good swimmer. I was lucky enough to be a reservist and had the ability to quit my job and train for almost a year and gain a lot of knowledge from the guys in my reserve unit.
Also man, the biggest thing was the saying "shit shines." There really was no "grey man" like in Boot. If you were a turd or fell behind, the spotlight was on you, that went the other way as well. Stellar performers were rewarded. A lot of the instructors became very good friends after the course but at the school house, a senior sergeant still stood at parade rest for a Tac instructor, regardless of his rank, seniority, and experience.
All in all, the course is what you make it. I had hard days and I had fun days. One of the posters was correct about the land nav course. As a grunt raised on cotton socks, I learned the hard way about the value of Smartwool.
Best of luck to you and Semper Fi, mack.
Old 26 August 2011, 23:08
Martian for Pax Romana

Some god blessed me with hobbit feet. I used to think it was a curse and imagined myself from a clan of fishermen who tied nets with their bigtoes, but I can say that I hardly had a blister for all the miles or klicks I put my feet through. I still pampered those doggs and inGenius, Smartwool, and whatever other REI socks are money. Forget all the rest of the Gucci gear: socks and boots are wise investments.
Old 27 August 2011, 05:18

Good info Angry Johnny! This is the direction I was hoping the thread would have gone since I'm a BRC hopeful. If you have any more advice for the course, it would be much appreciated.
Old 27 August 2011, 08:08

Well, like I said, its been about 3 years since I went though the course. I did watch the Discovery Channel thing a while ago and it's spot on except patrol phase and amphib phase are switched as to which you do first.
I'm not going to go into specifics about exactlty what you learn as far as TTPs and the like, but I will say, know Land Nav and Basic Infantry knowledge before you get there. PT your brains out (we did crossfit in the am and pm) expect to have your achilles heel made painfully aware to you. Don't have an attitude problem. Don't steal cars and get into high-speed chases. If you're straight out of ITB, the better shape you're in, the less time you spend in MART (thrash-fests and working parties). Finally, if you're a boot on a recon contract, don't talk shit about the grunts as this is where a majority of your fellow students (read:but STILL NCO's) and instructors cut their teeth. Be eager to learn. The MOST important thing to remember is this: your reputation in the community STARTS in BRC. It could be 10 years down the road and if someone asks about you, and you were a turd in BRC, that is what is most likely to be remembered about you the most.
Be an asset, not a liability.

Semper Fi,
Johnny

Our new posting rules