Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 7 March 2012, 11:49
I aim to misbehave

Socnet pool players?

Well, being single now, I'm collecting hobbies. Taught myself to pick locks, bought a kayak, getting back in shape, started college...and, about two months ago, I started shooting pool.

In two months, I've gone from "couldn't sink a shot," to "holding my own in the tournaments," and while I don't expect to continue improving that quickly, I do expect to continue improving.

That said, I was really just wondering how many other Socnetters are pool players? Chime in...and feel free to share any advice you have.
Old 7 March 2012, 11:58
Cyber Terrorist

I play pool......... Poorly. I am probably the most inconsistent player in the history of the game- I have literally gone from running the table off the break one game to missing wide open shots the next. It has been a while since I've played though- my roommate had a full size table in the house before I got married so I played a lot then. Not as much these days.

Rudyard Kipling

I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one.
Old 7 March 2012, 12:00
Ditch Doc

I play a little. Matter of fact, just picked up a table to put in the cave. I usually get better as the liqour flows. Fun hobby, but I couldn't pay the bills playing. :)
Old 7 March 2012, 12:03
Authorized Personnel

I've always been the pool player that can make the cool ass shots... when no one is looking. And.. the more I drink, the better I think I play. The harder I try, the worse I play.
Old 7 March 2012, 12:26
Authorized Personnel

I am an avid pool player. I used to earn my drinking money on the pool tables out in Okinawa.

My technique for skill, is 4 beers. Right at 4 beers I'm a shark! Before that, I think too much about the shot and I mess it up...and after I begin to start not caring at all.
Old 7 March 2012, 12:36
RM-PL

We have my grandfather's original (50's pool hall), 3-pieces-of-slate, full size Brunswick pool table downstairs. Love to play, although I should probably be more proficient for as long as we've had the table. Can't really provide any good advice, as I am no expert. In fact, I should probably be asking YOU (BOFH) for tips as I've never competed in tournament play...
Old 7 March 2012, 12:54
Morte et une dame

I play every Wednesday night; The Old Gonads Billiards Team.
Old 7 March 2012, 13:49
Moving Toward The Light

Playing pool was one of my strongest passions in life. I was about twelve years old when I first picked up a cue at the USO where my mother and sisters sang for the the troops on weekends.

The airmen from Turner AFB showed me how to play, and I was hooked on the game from then on. In a matter of weeks I was beating most of them.

I won the Georgia BCA 8 ball state singles title in 1999, but I haven't played much in the last several years and I really miss the game. I still have quite a few high end Schon cues that I used to play with.

Below is a pic of me as a kid, playing at the USO around '64-'65.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poolpicUSO.jpg (34.2 KB, 84 views)

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch......Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

The less said, the less dead.
Old 7 March 2012, 13:57
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShmoe View Post
I still have quite a few high end Schon cues that I used to play with.
I'm bidding on eBay for a good cue. Probable a mid-range Viking, I think. Right now, I'm playing with a Vector Sneaky Pete...but I think I'm outgrowing it...

The guy who is teaching me to play let me shoot with his Meucci at the tournament last night...and I think I fell in love...but I can't quite bring myself to spend that kind of money on a cue right now.

I don't have a breaker, so i generally just use the heaviest house cue to break.

I also ordered a set of pocket reducers today, to help me work on accuracy...that should be interesting, to say the least...
Old 7 March 2012, 14:05
Not Dead? Don't Quit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I am an avid pool player. I used to earn my drinking money on the pool tables out in Okinawa.

My technique for skill, is 4 beers. Right at 4 beers I'm a shark! Before that, I think too much about the shot and I mess it up...and after I begin to start not caring at all.
This is me as well. Minus the Okinawa. Four beers in, I'm on point. I have an older Mcdermot que with a water buffalo scrotum que tip (yes it is really water buffalo scrotum). I think they are now just the buffalo hide and no longer made from the sac. I prefer a harder tip. Its the hardest. I go here to get them now. They last for ever

And before any of you go there, you know how I know you're gay
There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses...only results
Old 7 March 2012, 14:15
Authorized Personnel

Eyes aren't what they used to be, so 4 rail shots are rare.

I have a 40+ yo Brunswick 21 oz with a billiards tip for game and an extra fat tip front section for the break.
Old 7 March 2012, 14:15
Confirmed User

Played alot when I was single. I played a few 9-ball tournaments (IIRC, I was rated a 7 out of 10, which means I was just good enough to set the other guy up for the win... ). Last year I moved into a smaller house and donated my 8' 1-piece to my church.

As for tips, if you're like most beginners/novices you're shooting to much with bottom english (and probably to hard as well). Practice using a little top and a lighter touch and you'll likely be more consistent. And save the heavy english for when you're needing to line up your next shot.
Old 7 March 2012, 14:23
Moving Toward The Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49 View Post
This is me as well. Minus the Okinawa. Four beers in, I'm on point. I have an older Mcdermot que with a water buffalo scrotum que tip (yes it is really water buffalo scrotum). I think they are now just the buffalo hide and no longer made from the sac. I prefer a harder tip. Its the hardest. I go here to get them now. They last for ever

And before any of you go there, you know how I know you're gay
I used the layered buffalo tips for years. They gave me more accuracy due to not putting any undesired english on the cue ball, and keeping cue ball defection to a minimum.

Because of their hardness, they can be difficult to apply english with, and they are often difficult for novice players.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch......Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

The less said, the less dead.
Old 7 March 2012, 14:29
Not Dead? Don't Quit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Eyes aren't what they used to be, so 4 rail shots are rare.

I have a 40+ yo Brunswick 21 oz with a billiards tip for game and an extra fat tip front section for the break.
Nice catch there. Brunswicks are awesome. I also like the older Schon's. I personally like a 19oz cue and the harder tip so I don't have to swap out when I break.
There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses...only results
Old 7 March 2012, 14:45
Confirmed User

I can hold my own but these days only get to play when im in the states. Not too many pool halls in HT.

Sigma

"He shot once. You sprayed the room. Same result, the target was dead, but you left a lot of brass to pick up." KidA
Old 7 March 2012, 14:51
Confirmed User

I played pretty competitively for several years. Even went on the road a few times.
Not sure what level you're playing at, but there are several drills you can do to practice stroke, technique, angles etc...
I remember my pool "coach" making me stroke a pool cue in and out of the neck of a beer bottle for hours. It wasn't fun, but looking back I do have a pretty decent stroke. Practicing can be extremely tedious...just stick with it.
I think you're on the right track with a Mid-line Viking cue to start. Having your own cue makes a difference in building consistency and having the confidence to "put shit on the ball" aka english. Most house cues have too shitty of tips to really play a ball right. Look into Mcdermott cues too. I started with one. Don't worry so much about a break cue at first. That's what house cues are for.
Also, practice on simonis cloth as often as you can. If you can develop speed control on simonis, then you can play proper speed on anything.
"You see, violence merely creates more violence. It's a cycle that never ends... You insult me, I shoot you, you drop dead, someone else insults me... And it just keeps repeating over and over again. And for what?"
Old 7 March 2012, 15:18
Same as it ever was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
I'm bidding on eBay for a good cue. Probable a mid-range Viking, I think...

The guy who is teaching me to play let me shoot with his Meucci at the tournament last night...and I think I fell in love...but I can't quite bring myself to spend that kind of money on a cue right now.

I don't have a breaker, so i generally just use the heaviest house cue to break...
I have not played in years, but when I bought my first and only cue, in 1987, the guy that sold it to me said, the most anyone should spent on a cue is $100; after you are paying for fancy details. As a HS kid with a job and parents that let me live for free, I bought the $100 cue. It was a Schmelke, 5' long, walnut butt, maple shaft; I still have it and it is still straight; just checked it... :) I bought Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billards and a Brad scuffer and always carried a piece of Scotch Brite in my case so I did not have to use caulk.

Never bought a breaker though...

Good luck and have fun!!!

asg

Oh and my unsolicited advice: buy Byrne's book and read it.
Old 7 March 2012, 15:38
I aim to misbehave

ASG: that's why I like Sneaky Pete cues...they're good cues, without all the fancy inlays and such. I just want a nicer (better) Sneaky Pete than my Vector, and I know Viking makes some incredible cues. From shooting different cues and such, I'd put Vikings right up there with Shon, Predator, and Meucci...not that I've shot every cue made by those companies, but the ones I've shot have been pretty consistent between the higher rated cuemakers...I've settled on Viking...just love the feel.
Old 7 March 2012, 15:54
Confirmed User

I bought my cue from an old man that ran a shop in the back of a local pool-hall. He made his own cues as well as repaired "other" cues; some of the cues he had in his shop were absolutely beautiful, from exotic woods with hard to pronounce names to inlays of precious metals, stones, etc. I bought one of his "standard" cues (nothing fancy) for ~$250 and IMO it plays as well as cues that cost 3-4 times as much.

He has since retired and passed the shop on to a younger guy; hopefully he passed on his knowledge too. I'd take a genuine craftsman's product over a name-brand anytime.
Old 7 March 2012, 15:56
Same as it ever was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
ASG: that's why I like Sneaky Pete cues...they're good cues, without all the fancy inlays and such. I just want a nicer (better) Sneaky Pete than my Vector, and I know Viking makes some incredible cues. From shooting different cues and such, I'd put Vikings right up there with Shon, Predator, and Meucci...not that I've shot every cue made by those companies, but the ones I've shot have been pretty consistent between the higher rated cuemakers...I've settled on Viking...just love the feel.
BOFH,

Cues are like any other tool, if it fits your hand, you like using it, and have money to buy it: GO FOR IT.

Now, have you ordered that book yet!!! :D

I had to pull mine from the shelf to remember the name. After that a quick www search told me that the same places I shot pool in college are still there!!!

At $4/hour for a table, at least around here, what else can I do for less than that an hour; go to the range, or drink like a fool, chase women, hell name something else you can do for $4/hr.

Thanks for the reminder.

asg

Our new posting rules