Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 21 May 2012, 07:54

Medical Discharge

My wife was in the process to be medical discharged from the National Guard in Texas. She developed a medical problem that's why the National Guard decided to start this process. They never sent her to a medical board, and she has never received her DD214. She requested her DD214. She would like make some VA claims, and we are trying to figure out the National Guard never got back to her. Any ideas?? Could she make some VA claims?? Can she still be eligible for GI BIll?
Old 21 May 2012, 08:30
The fish goes blub.

There's a lot of your post to disect.

If she was medically discharged, she would have received her DD214 when she outprocessed. It is not a document that they mail to you.

Ignore everything else for now. You need to locate her DD214 before anything else. I would start with the unit she was in. They should be able to direct her accordingly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 21 May 2012, 09:24
Ne Obliviscaris

As CV stated, you're first stop should be her unit. If I am not mistaken, a DD214 only covers periods of active service. At least this was the case when my father passed away. He was a 20 year reservist and his DD214 only showed basic and MOS school.
You can also request a copy of her records from the National Personnel Records Center. http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...rvice-records/

As far as the GI Bill, someone else can most likely answer that. There are a few VA gurus on this board who will pipe in sooner or later with more info.
Semper Fi.
Old 21 May 2012, 10:16
Making sure They Come Home

How long was she in the service?
Dependent on her length of service, a medical board is not necessary for a medical discharge. It equates to an administrative chapter proceeding.
Old 21 May 2012, 13:55
Teaching my cat to read..

OP- Can you share how long she was active, or PM me and I can try and help you out.
VA disability compensation has to stem from an injury incurred during active military service.
Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits hinge on how long a veteran was on active duty.

And when trying to track down records, be aware that depending on how long ago she seperated, her records may be at other facilities. The NPRC is supposed to receive them after an average of 15 years or so, stored by the branch of the military. The right places are outlined on a SF 180, on page 3.
Old 22 May 2012, 08:33
Been There Done That

The National Guard does not issue DD form 214s. 214s are issued by the Active comp only(like when the soldier went to Basic/AIT). When you get discharged from the Guard you recieve a NGB form 23, unless you are on a Title 32 (AGR) tour. Then when you either retired or ETSd you would get a 214.

You do not have to be on Title 10 (active duty) to recieve VA Disability. You can get hurt during a weekend drill (Title 32, section??) or you can get hurt during Annual Training (still Title 32). Injuries during these periods can be claimed for VA Disability. As long as you have all the documentation, i.e. Sick Slips (if used), Clinical Notes from the Military Installation or civilian medical care (if used by the NG) and LODs (Line of Duty Investigations). These will help your claim with the VA. Now if you are going to claim a disease (like heart disease) the National Guard/VA will battle with you saying it is a pre-existing condition. thats a hard liong road to fight, but you can still be awarded it if you have the right medical documentation.

One thing you have to remember though, each State National Guard have their own ways of doing things. It's not right but true!
Old 22 May 2012, 23:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciplepaul View Post
My wife was in the process to be medical discharged from the National Guard in Texas. She developed a medical problem that's why the National Guard decided to start this process. They never sent her to a medical board, and she has never received her DD214. She requested her DD214. She would like make some VA claims, and we are trying to figure out the National Guard never got back to her. Any ideas?? Could she make some VA claims?? Can she still be eligible for GI BIll?
She should receive an NGB 22 for her period of Guard service inclusive of active duty periods (IADT, ADSW, ADT). If she was activated under Title 10 she should receive a DD214 for each period of active duty. Iíve seen DD214s issued for one day of Title 10 service. Title 32 Guard service usually rates a DD214 for periods of active duty in excess of 90 days.
If she is making a claim for an injury that occurred during a weekend drill, annual ADT, etc., she should make sure a Line of Duty determination has been made and that it is in her 201 file, as well as getting a copy for herself. She may also want to ensure that her Retirement Points Summary as well as her Soldier Detail Report are correct. Those will help the VA verify her duty status if the injury occurred on weekend drill, etc.
Also be aware that if she is being boarded out for an injury or disease that did not occur during a period of qualifying service, she likely wonít be granted service connection. Iíve had Guard soldiers file claims for diabetes, kidney stones, etc. They may have been diagnosed on a weekend drill, but since there is no conclusive proof that the conditions started during that period, they generally wonít be service connected. Now if they have a heart attack, CVA, or are injured during a weekend drill, those are generally service connected.
Old 22 May 2012, 23:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
One thing you have to remember though, each State National Guard have their own ways of doing things. It's not right but true!
Especially in the way they maintain service treatment records.

I didn't see your post before I posted. I guess I should read the whole thread first.
Old 25 May 2012, 20:52
Been There Done That

I need to speak with someone well versed on VA Disability Benefits for service related injuries (that are well documented). If someone would, please PM me when you can. Thanks.

Our new posting rules