Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 30 June 2012, 20:17
True Origin Not Known

He's such a liar

he should just cut to the chase and run for president.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 30 June 2012, 20:33
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Regarding DD214s, "combat training" such as the SFQC or Basic Airborne Training is not listed in the mil education block (for Army folks, anyway).
I received my DD214 upon retirement in 2003. Both the SFQC and Basic Airborne are annotated in the military education block.
Old 30 June 2012, 20:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I received my DD214 upon retirement in 2003. Both the SFQC and Basic Airborne are annotated in the military education block.
This.

I retired in 2004 and my DD214 includes every military school I attended, including airborne, Selection and Training, SERE-C and a classified course that is identified by acronym only.

"A sober man's thoughts are a drunken man's words" - unk.
Old 30 June 2012, 20:49
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
I retired in 2004 and my DD214 includes every military school I attended
As does mine.
Old 30 June 2012, 20:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Your DD214 was incorrectly filled out by the clerk who typed it. Happens frequently. The clerk who typed Aden's DD214 was correct in not including BAT.

From the DoD Instruction manual for completion of the DD214 (emphasis added):

DoDI 1336.01, August 20, 2009, P.11. subparagraph e.
To assist the former Service member in employment placement and job counseling, formal in-service training courses successfully completed during the period covered by the form will be listed in Block 14, “Military Education;” e.g., medical, dental, electronics, supply, administration, personnel, or heavy equipment operations. Training courses for combat skills will not be listed. See the “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services” (Reference (m)) for commonly accepted course titles and abbreviations.
Old 30 June 2012, 20:54
Been There Done That

I retired in 96 and my 214 also lists every school. This guy is just practicing being a politician - lying and swearing to it at every turn.
Old 30 June 2012, 20:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred111 View Post
I retired in 96 and my 214 also lists every school. This guy is just practicing being a politician - lying and swearing to it at every turn.
^^^^^^^ on the DD214...agree on the politician part...
Old 30 June 2012, 21:02
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Your DD214 was incorrectly filled out by the clerk who typed it. Happens frequently. The clerk who typed Aden's DD214 was correct in not including BAT.

To assist the former Service member in employment placement and job counseling, formal in-service training courses successfully completed during the period covered by the form will be listed in Block 14, “Military Education;” e.g., medical, dental, electronics, supply, administration, personnel, or heavy equipment operations. Training courses for combat skills will not be listed. See the “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services” (Reference (m)) for commonly accepted course titles and abbreviations.
That's interesting, thanks for the clarification Gavin. I can see SERE, SOTIC, MFF, etc (all annotated on mine) falling under the definition of "combat skills" but one would think that an MOS producing school, like the SFQC, would/should need to be annotated in the mil education block.
Old 30 June 2012, 21:56
Been There Done That

Answering The Call Congr Candidate and Vet Ken Aden Answers Allegations of dishonesty

Here's his Saturday afternoon sit-down explanation of events. The FFE was, well, effective:
Quote:
http://www.theprogressivecop.com/201...candidate.html

On a hot Saturday evening in late June, I sat down with Arkansas’ 3rd Congressional District Democratic Candidate Ken Aden at his Russellville office to discuss recent controversies surrounding his campaign. Just days before this interview, allegations were made by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that Aden had been dishonest in how he had presented his military and educational background.

Aden’s office is reminiscent of just how historically dismal congressional races have been for Democrats in the 3rd District. The building-the use of which was donated by a county Justice of the Peace-itself is in near shambles. Termite damage is visible along a baseboard when you walk into the front door and the air conditioner inside struggles to keep pace with the 100 plus degree heat outside. One is left with the immediate impression that this candidate is not flush with corporate cash and that impression would be correct. Aden has made himself a viable candidate in a district where Bill Clinton was the last viable Democratic candidate and he’s done it running a pure grassroots campaign, refusing to accept any corporate cash.

In recent weeks, however, the Aden campaign has come under fire over allegations that Aden misrepresented his military service record. If the Aden campaign intends to remain viable in the heavily Republican 3rd District, Aden is going to have to answer the allegations directly and completely. Aden has publicly stated he has and/or will obtain all documentation to needed to prove his claims of military service and is dedicated to maintaining the appropriate level transparency needed to satisfy any doubts 3rd District voters may have about his credibility.

Aden will tell you that in the end, his campaign is not about military service records and it’s not about what functions he is or isn’t qualified to do on a battlefield. One look at the magnetic oversized campaign ads on Ken’s tan pickup truck that declare the campaign’s slogan “People First” will make clear to any would be naysayer that his is a campaign that is about putting the people first.

Joining the Army

According to your campaign website, you’re from Pine Bluff; a traditionally heavily Democratic area of Arkansas. Now, you’ve served three combat tours in the last ten years and you return to Arkansas and decide to run for Congress as a Democrat not from Eastern Arkansas but from the Republican bastion known as the 3rd District; do you just love a tough fight?

My sister used to own a small business in Russellville, so when I honorably discharged from the military, I moved here, the hometown of my wife Renea. It was while I was here that I came to appreciate the gravity of the situation the 3rd District is in. My father used to tell me that anything worthwhile is worth fighting for so I decided that here was the best place to make a stand for working-class progressive values.

You served in the Arkansas Army National Guard under the command of your Republican opponent before you transferred to active duty. Was Congressman, then Colonel, Womack’s leadership style the reason you decided to leave the National Guard?

No, that is simply not the case. Mr. Womack is a veteran as well. Politically we could not agree less, that fact is well known, but I would never disparage his military service. (That's because he didn't lie about it)

What prompted you to join the military?

I decided to join the military because I wanted to make a real tangible difference in this country and in the world. Like most young people, I felt that serving in the military would allow me to make that difference. The Army served to put me on the right track of success. Prior to my entry in the Armed Forces I was aimless for lack of a better word and even prone to landing in occasional trouble with the law. My service in the Army changed that, and I truly believe that it is the best thing to ever happen to me, aside from the birth of my daughter and marriage to my childhood sweetheart.

Tell me a little about your decision to your decision to go into Special Forces.

I decided I wanted to join the Special Forces because I saw it as an opportunity to challenge and improve myself as well as to further my service to my country. In the summer of 2005, I made the choice to try out for the Special Forces program. Unfortunately, I did not complete my packet in a timely manner and I did not attend the school in 2005. Instead, I went on to serve in another overseas deployment. Upon completion of said deployment, I finished my packet and was admitted into the Special Forces training program in 2008.

Special Forces

The article published in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette on June 28, 2012 says that you never completed Special Forces training which, understandably, must anger you. It also says that you were removed from training on three separate occasions for failing academically. Can you explain this to the voters?

That’s a great question and one that I believe needs to be addressed. A few weeks back I released a copy of my DD-214 to the media. In the MOS or job section of the document, it states what positions I held. Two of those positions were as follows: 11C3P (Indirect Fire Infantry) and 18B3P (SF Weapons Sergeant). I have also released various awards and evaluation reports that cite this. The current argument is that I should have never been allowed to carry that MOS of 18B3P forward. For the record, I have produced a copy of when this MOS was awarded. It is still recorded on my DD-214.

When I reached the fifth stage of my SF training program, I was assigned to SF medical sergeant specialty training. Within a few weeks it became clear to both myself and my instructors that the medical specialty was not for me and I was transferred to weapons sergeant specialty training instead. I went on to complete the weapons sergeant specialty training. I was awarded the 18B3P MOS.

At this current point and time I have sent in a request for all of my military records which will include documents related to this training which will include documents related to this training. The fault is my own for not having all the documentation readily available. I assumed that my DD-214, the “actual” discharge paperwork, would be enough for the media. Sadly, I was wrong.

The Democrat-Gazette has quoted Major Rebecca Lykins, public affairs chief at the U.S Army Special Warfare Center, as saying the “18B” entry, which signifies that you are Special Forces on your DD-214, was entered as a mistake. She says it shouldn’t have been recorded on the document because, she claims, you never finished the “Q” course which would qualify you as Special Forces and that you did not have a certificate of completion. Is Major Lykins telling us the truth?

It seems that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. I completed my training to obtain the MOS of 18B. That is why it is recorded on my DD-214. If it was entered by mistake, then I would not have been allowed to carry it forward and the installation management command would have not put it on the official discharge paperwork. They had the orders and the orders number and each of these numbers are tracked.

MORE TAP DANCING AT THE LINK

Here's a thought - How about the constituents that supported Ken Aden with hard earned tax dollar donations sue him in Civil Court for FRAUD, soliciting donations based on many ....~ahem~ many lies, from educational lies to military service lies. This stinks of Madoff.

Mebbe there's a way around "Stolen Valor" on the civil court side for these wannabe elected officials / politicians that embellish their military service to bolster their donations? Thoughts?

Thanks out to andraste for the Arkansas updates and her push for support of the SVA!

~D-6606~
Old 30 June 2012, 22:19
Authorized Personnel

Something else odd about his "DD214" -

If he got out as an 18B his 18B MOS should be listed ahead of the 11C MOS.

Mine has 18Z5 listed first (with the years in that MOS) followed by the 11Z5 and the the years with that MOS. Seems to me that this demonstrates that the 18B was fraudently added after receipt of his DD214.
Old 30 June 2012, 23:07
Been There Done That

Mr. Aden says "The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing." That is because the left hand (SWC PAO) is telling the truth...
Old 1 July 2012, 05:58
Been There Done That

Quote:

Quote:
That's interesting, thanks for the clarification Gavin. I can see SERE, SOTIC, MFF, etc (all annotated on mine) falling under the definition of "combat skills" but one would think that an MOS producing school, like the SFQC, would/should need to be annotated in the mil education block.
At the risk of seeming a bit pedantic, I looked at the "Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services” (Reference (m)), and it does list SFQC and some associated college credit recommendations (mainly in premed, communications and civil engineering). It also lists SOTIC and MFF (basic and jumpmaster). The only SERE course included, though, is the SERE Instructor course.

Oh, and if Aden actually did complete Airborne School, and did so between Jan 2001 and Aug 2009, the ACE guide would grant him 3 SH for phys ed.

"A sober man's thoughts are a drunken man's words" - unk.
Old 1 July 2012, 08:27

http: //bluearkansasblog.com/?p=9447 Womens groups denounces his conduct.

Also, last night Adens campaign manager, Jake Burris, resigned his position.
Old 1 July 2012, 09:07
"Mierda!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
The only SERE course included, though, is the SERE Instructor course.
Does the Army "now" have a SERE Instructor course?

Stay safe.
Old 1 July 2012, 09:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Does the Army "now" have a SERE Instructor course?

Stay safe.
I know there was once a SERE Instructor (Train the Trainer) course that IIRC was about 45 days long. They would run this course as an MTT as well. The intent was to get NCO's from various units qualified to export SERE training to their respective units. They could then run in-house SERE training, minus the RTL. I have no idea if that course is still around or not.

ETA: This was in the 1980's when they had this program.

Last edited by Tripod; 1 July 2012 at 09:45.
Old 1 July 2012, 10:45
Confirmed User

Ken Wade? huh? Please explain that one Ken Aden. I wonder why the name change? Why would he need an alias?

http://esrati.com/another-of-the-cra...den-wade/7443/

Good lord, look at the last line and read the comments from back in 2009:
http://esrati.com/ken-wade-an-eternal-optimist/3953/

Last edited by Andraste; 1 July 2012 at 10:50.
Old 1 July 2012, 11:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andraste View Post
Ken Wade? huh? Please explain that one Ken Aden. I wonder why the name change? Why would he need an alias?

http://esrati.com/another-of-the-cra...den-wade/7443/

Good lord, look at the last line and read the comments from back in 2009:
http://esrati.com/ken-wade-an-eternal-optimist/3953/
From the first link, written November of last year, the author writes -

"During Ken’s service in the U.S. Army he was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division and the First Infantry Division in support of combat operations".

Nothing about being SF.
Old 1 July 2012, 11:02
Been There Done That

Strikes me as highly qualified, and a good fit for the US Congress.
Old 1 July 2012, 11:39
Authorized Personnel

I may have missed it, and I apologize if so, but what does Aden's Republican opponent say about all of this?
Old 1 July 2012, 13:46

Apology

30 July 2012
Gentlemen, I’d like to first start by sending my most heartfelt apology to you and all of your brothers in the SF community, past, present and future. Never would I intentionally try to bring discredit to an organization as proud and prestigious as yours. On Friday, 29 JUN 12, I wrote a character letter on behalf of a former subordinate of mine who happens to be running for Congress. The letter was written with good intent and everything that I wrote I believed to be true at that time. His MOS showed him as an 18B on my manning roster, (I’ll come back to this). I sent the character letter off to him. It was a character letter, not an endorsement for office. I am a constituent of New Hampshire and could care less about Arkansas politics. In fact, I don’t really care much about New Hampshire politics either. In addition, I’m a Republican and wouldn’t vote for a democrat. After I sent him the character letter, I started reading some of the posts on his page, (in hindsight, definitely something I should have done prior to writing the letter), which led me to some links at SOCNET and Professional Soldiers. I then went back to his page, comparing some of the doc’s he had posted to what was written in the links. Some things looked a little strange to me too. But, I still wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, so I sent a copy of his 18B orders, that the Candidate published, out to two friends to see if these orders were authentic. Both of these men I served with in the 509th Parachute Battalion at Polk, back in the late 90’s, both are in SF now. I’ve known both of them for approximately 15 years and would trust anything that they tell me. The 18A replied almost immediately and informed me that the Candidate was a “faker”. The 18D sent me a message to shoot him a call, which I did and I am anxiously awaiting his call back. I called the Candidate at 15:39 on 30 JUN 12 hours to confront him on this issue. I left a message on his machine, apparently someone for his campaign. The guy from his campaign, same guy that was on the answering machine, called back. I told him his candidate needed to call me immediately and I explained why. At 15:44 hours on 30 JUN 12, I received a call from the Candidate. I told him what my 18A friend had told me and that he needed to remove the character letter or I would write a follow up letter retracting it. As you see, the letter has been removed. http://www.scribd.com/doc/98685272/L...FC-David-Pratt
The fact is he was a very good troop to have. He always took initiative in the absence of orders and performed very well as a skill level 2 and 3 NCO. When I took the Platoon, we were already in country. I had already completed all my required PSG time, and basically had to beg to get another one. After looking over my manning roster I was pretty happy when I noticed I had an 18B, who wouldn’t be? I remember a conversation we had, (which is actually amusing that I read on SOCNET that I should have asked; you guys are on it), I asked him why he was here as an 18B. He explained how he got hurt, etc. My very next question was, “where’s your long tab”. He answered back with pretty much the same rhetoric he is saying in statements. Although it seemed strange, I really didn’t care. I had really had no reason not to believe him and he seemed truthful about what he was saying. At Bragg, many troops belong to a lot of different “Clubs”. I’ve never been questioned about any the clubs that I belong to, (granted, still nothing compared to what you guys do, but can provide you any documentation immediately upon request should you like verification). On occasion, in my previous 26 months of PSG time in the 509th, when I reviewed the SL’s counseling packets on their Paratroopers, I would also look at their ERB. If I noticed a discrepancy, I would tell that SL to have the TL get his troop to S-1 with supporting doc’s and get it fixed. It always happened. As a senior NCO, I don’t expect my subordinates to lie and always take what they tell me at face value. Integrity violations are not conducive to living the ARMY values. With my second Platoon, I didn’t really have that luxury. I did not have everyone’s ERB. We were in Iraq. They all had counseling packets, but those packets were put together the way the previous leader had instructed. I’m sure I could have asked them to pull them off their AKO, but we had other things going on. The Candidate obviously fooled S-1 along the way by presenting false orders, etc. at the higher echelon, which has also made a fool out of many others, including me. I figured it wasn’t impossible for him to be there in the Infantry Troop at a Calvary Reg., as I have served in ABN Infantry units that did have 18 series in them. Not as MTOE positions, of course. One SFC long tabber in my company in the mid 90’s, who apparently volunteered to leave SF, for promotion reasons during the Clinton draw down. A couple guys that had a break in service, and then a few officers who were enlisted SF, got commissioned through OCS and had certain criteria to meet before they could apply to be 18A, (I’m not sure exactly how all of that works for the A’s). The biggest difference was they all had a long tab, and they all wore it.

Our new posting rules