SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 14 April 2015, 21:47
Animal Tamer

Updated My G35.

Just got my Glock 35 back from machine shop where I had my slide milled to accept my new Trijicon RMR LED with a 6.5 MOA red dot and new Trijicon tritium suppressor sites. Can't wait to hit range tomorrow and qualify with it. This gun was a tack driver with iron sites so I can't wait to run it with the RMR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.5 KB, 506 views)
Old 14 April 2015, 23:33
The Sagacious One

I have a Gen 4 G35, Love it. I bought it to play the game, but sadly no time. Still not a fan of the RMR, but maybe I need to just shoot one.......
Old 14 April 2015, 23:36
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I really want to shoot a RMR on a Glock -- wondering if it will help with my eyesight issues....
Old 14 April 2015, 23:47
What could possibly go wrong?

I own two 35's. Been contemplating doing the same thing. Let us know what you think. Also, what were your dimensions you milled?
Old 15 April 2015, 04:47
Unemployed Stunt Double

I like the concept of a red dot on a pistol, but I wonder what the long-term wear-and-tear on the red dot will be (due to being mounted on the slide). There are adapters for red dots that attach to the pistol's rails. Seems like a better solution in some ways, although it certainly raises the red dot above the bore more than milling a slot does...
Old 15 April 2015, 08:57
The Sagacious One

It also exponentially complicates the holster / gear issue as well. I know a guy that CCW's a G 19 with an RMR inside his waist belt, with no issue.
Old 15 April 2015, 09:05
Authorized Personnel

Is it authorized for carry on duty configured that way?
Old 15 April 2015, 10:40
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I have a Gen 4 G35, Love it. I bought it to play the game, but sadly no time. Still not a fan of the RMR, but maybe I need to just shoot one.......
They look cool that is what matters.

Does the slide have to be cut?Or is there way to mount one by taking off the rear sight?
Old 15 April 2015, 10:48
Just A "Less Than"

Very nice indeed!

Is that your personal weapon that you are carrying on duty since you are qualifying with it?
Old 15 April 2015, 12:48
Authorized Personnel

I've been thinking about doing this for a while.

I don't know that I would carry a gun with a dot sight. But it would be a fun project... and I'm sure I might have some extra glocks in my safe.

Who knows, 15 years ago, some people wouldn't even advocate an Aimpoint on a rifle over iron sights. Now look where we are.

The future of CCW?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G26-RMR001.jpg (53.8 KB, 387 views)
Old 15 April 2015, 13:03
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Does the slide have to be cut?Or is there way to mount one by taking off the rear sight?
The RMR requires milling. I suppose it is possible to make one that would dovetail into the slide, but I suspect that would be problematic (hell, for all I know someone already makes a red dot that dovetails in).
Old 15 April 2015, 13:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I like the concept of a red dot on a pistol, but I wonder what the long-term wear-and-tear on the red dot will be (due to being mounted on the slide). There are adapters for red dots that attach to the pistol's rails. Seems like a better solution in some ways, although it certainly raises the red dot above the bore more than milling a slot does...

I was wondering the same thing. I run a red dot on my 2011 race gun but it is mounted to the frame and the slide runs underneath. Also seems like the extra weight on the slide has the potential to induce bad things other than beating the red dot to death.

But, I haven't tried it so I may be completely off base.

If it works and makes you happy, shoot the hell out of it.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 15 April 2015, 13:32
What could possibly go wrong?

I personally wouldn't carry one for duty, due to the fact it may or may not survive going to the ground in a rough and tumble fight. I have shot one that was installed with no milling, just using regular slot. Set a little high that way. Was very fast in shooting steel. Quick pickup of target.
Old 15 April 2015, 15:21
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Per concealment of a gun with a red dot -- I no longer carry in a belt holster (or I rarely do), and have pretty much gone completely with AIWB, a la the J holster. As such, I think the concealibilty (sp?) issues with this sight are fairly benign. The grip remains as the major *problem* and the sight is probably more a a nuisance to your abdomen, than anything else -- and it may not be a nuisance, I really don't know....
Old 15 April 2015, 15:55
Confirmed User

We have had some admin types switch to the RMR for vision issues. I haven't shot them enough to know if I like them but I think Gackman's observation is a sign of what is to come. There's money in it, they are cooler, and they may be as good if not better than iron sights. Currently, the biggest issue for duty carry has been finding a holster with high enough retention to accommodate the sight. Again, more opportunity for everyone to spend money.

Glock is (has?) releasing the Modular Optics System (MOS) so you don't have to get the slide milled. I believe another major manufacturer is doing the same.
Old 15 April 2015, 16:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
The RMR requires milling. I suppose it is possible to make one that would dovetail into the slide, but I suspect that would be problematic (hell, for all I know someone already makes a red dot that dovetails in).
I think there are as many mounting options as there are dot sights on the market.

Some require milling, some are basically drill / tap the slide and install a mounting plate. Some are in front of the existing sights, some are in the same location, some use the dovetail slot, some use it as part of the milling that gets relieved. When I first started seeing these there was a lot of "variety and creativity" in how they are installed.

The "best" (my opinion) setup that I've seen seems to be mounting the dot in front of the rear sight and then a replacement set of high sights is installed, giving the user the ability to still use the irons in a pinch. Trijicon is making a setup like that for the 1911 but I haven't seen one for Glocks.
Old 15 April 2015, 16:42
Confirmed User

Looks like a nice setup. I look forward to your range report.
How does the 35 run with the light? I've heard that the surfire lights somehow disturb the 40 cal glock reliablity.
Old 15 April 2015, 18:04
Not a ninja...

S&W has a version called the C.O.R.E. (Competition Optics Ready Equipment). With as long as I have shot the G34 in competition and only recently polished the trigger components, added a ghost rocket type connector and an adjustable over travel stop (stayed with full power springs), My wife's 9mm Pro is a more refined pistol out of the box. If I were buying again (with or without the RMR) I'd be tempted to go that route.

But it's the same, several "plates" that accommodate the host of RMRs and taller iron sights that come with the gun.
Old 15 April 2015, 19:10
BTDT

RMR slide ride

It is the "near" future, for handguns.

The 3 (ie G20, G29, G21) that I have; all, RMR dual illum. I have pounded (ie 10mm & .45 ACP "nuclear loads"), dropped, racked using the sight against 4X4s....& survived. I have 1 "amber". It works; but, I definitely like the 2 "green" better.

My 4th, for a G20C, is the LED version that "Duck Marshal" has. Slide should be back, in 2 more weeks:)

I've taken the iron sights off the guns. For me, they just block what I want to see.

I green dry erase all my guns lights. It's faster, for me. It also, doesn't "white out" my RMR aim point.

Using the RMR, does take some training. At 1st, it was slower & a little frustrating. Fought through it. Now, I'm faster & it's much more relaxing to shoot, for my eyes.

Good shooting
Old 15 April 2015, 20:24
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
I green dry erase all my guns lights. It's faster, for me. It also, doesn't "white out" my RMR aim point.
I have done this with all of my weapons lights and it was "mind blowing" for a few co-workers during some room clearing training we were doing. Cant find a dry erase marker anywhere in my office

Regarding the concealment issues with an RMR, I spoke to a friend who carry's a G19 with RMR. He has either bought holsters like Raven Concealment Eidolon, which comes precut or he has cut the kydex off his holster to accommodate. he has had no issues. Hes about 6ft 180lb, skinny dude.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO

Our new posting rules