Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 23 February 2017, 22:32
Confirmed User

13,506 Marines Applied For White House Detail Last Week

According to a Linked In post, no Marines applied during the previous 8 years and had to be assigned. Does anybody happen to know if there is an truth to this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marines.jpg (40.0 KB, 370 views)
Old 24 February 2017, 04:37
Been There Done That

Number seems awful high given the size of the Corp. However, it's probably a welcome change given the POTUS's opposition candidate who didn't like uniforms in the White House.

Right, CPT A?

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 24 February 2017, 05:06
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Number seems awful high given the size of the Corp. However, it's probably a welcome change given the POTUS's opposition candidate who didn't like uniforms in the White House.

Right, CPT A?
Good memory re the opposition candidate.

Those numbers do seem high.
Old 24 February 2017, 05:32
War on Christmas veteran

Well, if it's in an internet meme on social media, it must be true.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 24 February 2017, 07:42
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
Well, if it's in an internet meme on social media, it must be true.
LOL, you're rarely relight around here, but this is probably one of those times No matter who the POTUS is people are going to want to be on his detail. Sure, some POTUS's more than others, but still a lot of people would like that on their resume.
Old 24 February 2017, 07:52
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
LOL, you're rarely relight around here, but this is probably one of those times No matter who the POTUS is people are going to want to be on his detail. Sure, some POTUS's more than others, but still a lot of people would like that on their resume.
This. My brother was one of the final three officers under consideration for a certain WH posting during the Obama administration. He said it would practically guarantee him a General's star, and he actively chased the post--not just volunteered. He was not a fan of the previous administration.

And as should be obvious, there is respect for the office and there is honor in serving the CINC regardless of personal feelings.
Old 24 February 2017, 08:02
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

My dad was a Marine infantryman during the Korean and Vietnam Wars. He said that he and everyone with him would always put cool, exotic places on their dream sheets, like Hawaii or Australia or the White House, but always ended up somewhere digging a hole in the mud anyway. By the second half of his career, he just made his three choices the three Marine divisions so he at least wouldn't be disappointed.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 24 February 2017, 08:10
Administrator

Why are we posting FB meme's here?

Frankly, working a ceremonial position is just that, IMO, ceremonial. I'm sure there's some who volunteered, but I never knew any.

Closed
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules