Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Old 30 July 2002, 20:08
PETN=1.66

PTSD effecting SEALs also?

Im sure you all have heard about the killings at Ft. Bragg (if you havent then check out the SF forum), and I was just wondering if the SEALs returning from the war have been experiencing any of these problems.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 30 July 2002, 21:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Im sure you all have heard about the killings at Ft. Bragg (if you havent then check out the SF forum), and I was just wondering if the SEALs returning from the war have been experiencing any of these problems.
Have any of those guys at Bragg actually been diagnosed with PTSD? And has someone demonstrated that their hypothetical PTSD had anything to do with offing their wives?
Old 1 August 2002, 03:37
Been There Done That

PTSD

I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on service in Afghanistan. I think the jury is still out on the exact causes. Special Operations Forces try to screen out unstable people to prevent situations like this. With that said, I'd have to assume that there is a lot more going on in each case that we don't know about. I'd bet that each case has a slightly different set of circumstances, and the fact that they occurred simultaneously has more to do with these guys returning home at nearly the same time, than what they experienced while they were deployed in-country. Purely speculation on my part, since I don't have any more access to information than anyone else reading this.
Old 1 August 2002, 04:27
Confirmed User

Trident, Are you suggesting maybe the'ol "WestPAC Widow" syndrom?
Old 1 August 2002, 13:32
Been There Done That

PTSD

That may have a lot to do with it. I know our guys were pretty happy during the first five months of the war, before the war turned conventional, and are now a little frustrated. Not badly enough to come home and take it out on the wives/girlfriends though.
Old 1 August 2002, 13:48
soulburst
Visitor

ptsd

There goes your theory. A wife just shot the husband
yesterday at Bragg.
Old 1 August 2002, 15:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
There goes your theory. A wife just shot the husband
Going by the frequency and popularity of PTSD (mis)diagnosis my guess is she also had PTSD from, say, a car wreck or when she failed her 9th grade algebra exam, or when her parents didn't buy her a pony or some such.
Old 1 August 2002, 15:43
Going back

I think Chris Rock put it best when talking about High School shootings and how society claims that music made the kids do it, or movies, or TV, or whatever.

His answer?

"Whatever happened to CRAZY?"

Wonder if Katie Couric will start collecting money for the shooters like she did for the mom that murdered her kids in Houston and blamed it on post-partum depression?

BTAR

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe

Our new posting rules