Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 25 September 2002, 20:02

Failing the DLAB?

And yes, I have searched the forum with several key terms dealing with Failing the DLAB, etc. I've also read some articles so basically what I need to know is:

What happens if I fail the DLAB test or go below 85 (or whatever category I is) on an 18x contract?

I'm the type of person that wants to be prepared incase something happens. I like to know my options and where it places me if I do whatever on it.
Old 26 September 2002, 06:03
I like Bunnies

Um...if you fail the DLAB, you dont get the 18x contract. Gotta get a 229 on the physical too, although I know of at least one recruiter who "fixed" that for some one. Not possible for the DLAB though, as its done at the MEPS station. And it is a bitch boyo. My best advice for you, if you havent already taken it, is do not get frustrated. Take it easy, listen to the tape, and relax. And getting frustrated on this test, for me anyhow, was very easy. Theres alot of questions, and from what I understand some of the questions are harder than others and thus worth more points. Dont quote me on that though. I scored a 98, which isnt too bad, but most of the guys in my platoon were around 112 to 120. Highest score Ive heard is 136. You need a 100 to get class 4 language, Japanese, Chinese and Arabic. Thats the highest language class. Class 1 is like Spanish...good luck bro.
Crow
Old 26 September 2002, 10:23
DOL

Reference DLAB scores and language.

SWC Command Language School class (language) assignment is based on the needs of the Army (i.e., the Group you will be assigned to), not your DLAB score.

I have personal knowledge of personnel in the pipeline being assigned to a Catergory 4 language class when their DLAB was vicinity 89 (and Russian, etc., etc., etc.). And this is not rare, it is common.

This is one reason that the SWC CLS standard is a 0+/0+.

Additionally, 1st Bn conducts (or did until very recently if they have stopped) DLAB testing for those that make Phase I (SFAS) but do not have a DLAB on their records prior to Phase II. I have seen as many as 90 soldiers test. I have seen soldiers score less than 89. I saw no one released from the course. Again, ground truth may have shifted and I'm sure the 18X is watched more closely due to the internal controversy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 26 September 2002, 21:27

how high is the general level of language proficiency in SF? I know what 0+0+ sounds like, and Im just wondering how much language maintenence/improvement goes on.
Old 26 September 2002, 23:32
Special Forces
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chairborne
how high is the general level of language proficiency in SF? I know what 0+0+ sounds like, and Im just wondering how much language maintenence/improvement goes on.
I have a 2+/3 in Spanish without DLI or Language School, and that was about average on my team in 7th SFGA.

Some guys were 3/3, and others were as low as 1+/1+.
Old 27 September 2002, 19:22
DOL

7th SFG(A) is not a good language proficency yardstick for the overall force for a variety of reasons.

The DLPT is a inaccurate gauge of a person's language ability. I had no military language instruction, but had 6 years of academic German and 3 years of using it on the street. I maintained a 2+/2 but my actual language proficency declined after I DEROS'ed from Toelz (where it was pretty good) to functional babbling after DS/DS.

I never got a single refresher or immersion program (let alone DLI or SWC CLS), but was expected to keep a 2/2 rating or else once I had taken a DLAB (but that was my functional area's requirement - not SF Branch's requirement).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our new posting rules