Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 14 October 2002, 02:13
Confirmed User

ODA Designations?

Hey all-

After searching for the answer, it seems nobody has asked the question:
How are ODAs designated? Going on how most of the Army works, I'm thinking something along the lines of :

ODA ### = ODA GBP = ODA Group, Battalion, Platoon?

Am I way off base on this, or close? Even after being EPTSed out of 18X, the Army, and SF in particular, still holds a special attention and fascination in my life; just trying to gather yet more info. Thanks!

Dave
Old 14 October 2002, 13:57
Authorized Personnel

The system changed at some point (and probably others). IIRC, at one time, the first digit was the battalion, the second the company and the third the ODA, so ODA 123 would be the 3rd team of B Co, 1st Battalion and ODA 331 would be the 1st team of C CO, 3rd BN. The problem with this meant that ODAs in different groups had the same designation.

Under the current system, the first part is the group and the second is the team. So ODA 525 would be a team in 5th Group (it was Chad Balwanz's team in the Gulf War, profiled in various historical accounts like Waller's The Commandos). ODA 1161 was a team from (now-deactivated) 11th Group. Team numbers are allocated among the battalions and companies. News releases routinely identify the ODA number and occasionally give the battalion and company, so it's not necessarily OPSEC which teams go with which battalions, but maybe too much detail is too much.

Dave
Old 14 October 2002, 23:45
DOL

Actually. the first number is the group, the second the company, and the third is the team.

Example: ODA 564 is 5th SFG(A) (the '5'); sixth line company - AKA, C Co., 2nd Battalion (or ODB 560), ODA 4 (which used to mean a MFF ODA the '2' numbered ODAs were UWO).

Except that when I commanded ODA 564 it was a SADM team and all the four 5th SFG(A) SADM teams were consolidated in Co. A, 2nd Bn AND they were all either UWO or MFF and since there was only one of each in a ODB, we 'borrowed' the Co. C designations so those second UWO or MFF ODA would have authorized slots (its a personnel thing - your unit manning roster got to be right)... so we were a four ODA company with two teams using Co. C designations (and Co. C had two of our ODA numbers...). Strange and confusing, but true.

ODC 52 is the 'C' Detachment designation for 2nd Bn, 5th SFG(A) (which can form FOB 52...).

ODB 540 is the 'B' Detachment designation for Co. A, 2nd Bn, 5th SFG(A) - the fourth line company in the Group.

If I had some of the Mad Russian's Courvoisier I'd tell you the story of how I commanded two MFF ODAs and never went to HALO School - or, how God speaks to me...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15 October 2002, 00:29
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by airbornelawyer
ODA 1161 was a team from (now-deactivated) 11th Group.
ODAs in 11th Gp were designated as "2##", so ODA232 was Team 2, C/2/11th SFGA
Old 15 October 2002, 12:57
Authorized Personnel

That was changed at some point. When I helped write 11th Group's official history, I went through a lot of old training records and other documents through the 70s and 80s, and the numbering system followed BN/CO/ODA (all 1st BN ODAs started with "1"). Somewhere in the late 80s or early 90s (I can't remember when), they changed to the Group-first designation (probably when they converted from the H-series MTOE to the L-series). It was at least before 1993, because I have some photos somewhere of ODA 1161 in Incirlik in 1993 when A/2/11 had the CSAR mission for Provide Comfort II.

ODA 564, thanks for the intel. I noticed that this doesn't fit ODA 1161, unless it was chopped from C CO to A CO for the deployment and I just have CRS syndrome (which seems likely as not). A/2/11 was at Fort AP Hill and is now part of 20th Group, but I don't remember where C/2/11 was. Was that where you were, GH?

Dave
Old 15 October 2002, 14:36
Greenhat
Visitor

C/2/11th was at Jamestown, Ohio, and yeah, I spent some time there on ODAs 231 and 232 mid 80s. Your info fits. What does it take to get a copy of that history? Would love to have one..
Old 15 October 2002, 15:27
Authorized Personnel

The last time I saw any of it, all the 11th Group historical stuff was in boxes in the USASOC archives in the New Academic Facility. I left for OCS in June 1994, so I wasn't on hand for the completion of the history project and the deactivation ceremony at Meade. I have copies of some of the material, but mainly for 1st Battalion. When we divvied up responsibility for the unit history, the Group S-5, MAJ Dickson, who used to command A/2/11, was responsible for 2nd BN and Group. I was acting Asst. S-5 at the time, awaiting OCS, but I had been in 1st BN before that, so I did 1st BN's history. We had an ROTC SMP who was responsible for 3rd BN.

I lost touch with MAJ Dickson sometime after I was commissioned. He made O-5 shortly after that, but with the deactivation of 11th and 12th Groups, there weren't too many slots for SF Lt. Colonels in the USAR. I think he was an IMA at SOCLANT when there still was a SOCLANT, but he may be retired by now. I vaguely recall he might have been teaching at VMI at some point too.

While studying for the NY bar exam, I met a guy in bar review who was an 18C in 20th Group at AP Hill, so I was hoping he'd be able to get me in touch with some of the old A/2/11 team guys still around, but they got called up after 9-11 and I lost my contact info.

In the realm of weird coincidences, I ran into the former commander of C/1/11, the company at Fort Dix, at Ground Zero on Sept. 12 last year. He'd made LTC and was wearing the SOCSOUTH patch. He was with a group of officers looking all spiffy, and I was covered in shit and wearing BDUs scrounged from a NG armory. Quite an impression I made.

GH, did you post something a while back about an 11th Group reunion. If so, I lost that info too. My birthday's tomorrow and I'm becoming more and more aware that I'm turning into an old fuck.

Dave
Old 16 October 2002, 02:27
Probationary User

Dave, PM me. I spent four years in A/1/11 on ODA 113 (Scuba) at Devens. I think I've run into you during some intel ops in New Brunswick in the mid eighties. Ain't too many of us who got out to go to law school.

Jim

Our new posting rules