Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Old 17 August 2001, 13:25
Confirmed User

USAF Yearbook 01

Did SSgt Rob Bean really say those things in the article? I pray he didn't, I'm hoping Mr. Tom Ripley invented it. I've spoken with the other ground force commander and that article is bullsh**. Its a huge embellishment especially the Hammer mission. I was at the debrief too and that stuff was never mentioned. I.E. "The pilot asked the crew in the back if they should press on. The answer was a resounding "Yes". Someone else added, "that others may live". SPARE ME.
Jeff
Old 19 August 2001, 13:04
whisky8
Visitor

Jeff,
Have you seen the ABC link to the Hammer mission?

http://more.abcnews.go.com/onair/pop...off/index.html
Old 22 August 2001, 02:52
Confirmed User

And the story gets bigger. "walls of gunfire"..."the night erupted into fire"..."it looked like a telephone pole"..cmon thats what they said in Vietnam be original....I'd never seen that ABC web site. I have home video of it too and i thought it was "covert"...jeez they have better videos.
Why is it the same dude...SSgt Hardy (normally I refrain from using names but he gave the interviews) keeps showing up in a)the Stars and Stipes ariticle "Baptism Under Fire" and b) an ABC program...that guy likes to talk.
I'm not STS bashing, there are some squared away guys over there, in Mildenhall specifically and the ones with me were top notch.
I'll show that site to these guys they'll get a chuckle out of it. I really wish this was all kept in the shadows where it belongs....it only makes it harder the next time. If there had been a third rescue it would have been shot to pieces, the bad guys were getting dialed in. Articles in AF Times the week after "VEGA" stating launch site and numbers of aircraft all give away TTPs. We can yuck it up at the "Keller", GB Club, Ravens Roost(for those of you who have been to Incirlik) or the "Pave Cave" but we don't need to be talking to the press about specifics.
Jeff

[This message has been edited by jeff (edited 08-22-2001).]
Old 22 August 2001, 09:48
whisky8
Visitor

Jeff,
Next time we can do a psyops/media blitz like the O'grady fiasco, then the enemy will be expecting a Marine mortar platoon to show-up during daytime...
Only intel coming from the Keller Bar are stories of adultery, and "there I was" stories about Range 37.
Old 22 August 2001, 17:13
Confirmed User

That whole thing was a bunch of scheisse, STS,SOG,SEALs and SF ready to go and what? they wait 7 days for the MEU. I haven't been to the kellar since i've PCSd here...when i came through on TDY it was convient. I'd never let my wife go there.
Jeff

Our new posting rules