Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > AFSOC Aviation

Old 14 April 2004, 14:25
Mr. Freeze
Visitor

Any additional POC's or sites for AF helo info?

Greetings to the blue corner of SOCNET...

I've looked at some of the links that KJ provided, namely the Spectre page and the Jolly Green page. I have also checked out some recent AF Assn. mags for info. I guess what I have been looking for is some of the more subjective feelings and just a basic idea of AFSOC or ACC CSAR pilots' perception of their career. To put this in context, there seems to be a lot of undercurrent about Army Aviation and how officers won't fly as much, you'll end up doing a lot of troop command; therefore AROTC is the less than optimal choice. Having not been AF and not finding much online or in mags, I don't have as much of an idea what to expect from the pilot career field.

The reason I am asking, if it is even pertinent, is that I am very strongly considering quitting my current job to join AFROTC and finish school. I go part-time, but if I want to meet the 29.5 y/o commission deadline, I'd need to bump that up. With no real job anymore, I'd have to sell my house.

So I am not getting into it blind, I was wondering if anyone around here can point me towards some G2 on the life of AFSOC helo pilots.

Edit: For a little clarity and to point out that R-wing stuff is my main question, but I looked at Spectre stuff because that interests me as well, as does the role of the A-10. So I realize it isn't a helicopter...

Last edited by Mr. Freeze; 14 April 2004 at 15:34.
Old 14 April 2004, 19:09
Been There Done That

Try mh-53pavelow.com It is a sight for Pave low guys and has plenty of info and pic's and some videos.
Old 14 April 2004, 20:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
there seems to be a lot of undercurrent about Army Aviation and how officers won't fly as much, you'll end up doing a lot of troop command; therefore AROTC is the less than optimal choice. Having not been AF and not finding much online or in mags, I don't have as much of an idea what to expect from the pilot career field.
Commissioned Officers are not educated, trained, and developed to be pilots or other specific job. The commission and career growth has a direct relationship to career broadening and the ability to move into command and policy positions. At some point the officer leaves job specific duties such as flying an aircraft to other duties to get the development and experience to command and make policy. Although the Air Force is always trying to get or provide a cradle to death in-the-cockpit career path there are lots of difficulties in making this an easy opportunity.

I suggest you go to this Air Force Recruiting site and follow the links to chat live with an advisor.

Our new posting rules